Votes: 71 87.7%
  • Wrestling

Votes: 10 12.3%
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
11,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should the WWE build around, work-rate? As it's been doing since like 2013. Or characters? Like it did during the Golden Era-2012ish.

I'm at work and can't elaborate more right now.

You can only choose one to build around, for sake of convo.

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
The Icon That Can Still Go
52,749 Posts
Welp, even their best matches are pretty 'meh' these days since it's just a bunch of high spots or people that don't know how to sell.

But then again, WWE can't write any interesting characters with any depth, so...

Yeah, they're fucked, as we see every week.

·
TEAM KICK!
9,429 Posts
Both are required to deliver a truly compelling wrestling product. What i will say is that WWE absolutely has the roster to put on great and entertaining matches, but they desperately need to improve in their creative department, great feuds are few and far between these days.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
You need both. Without characters and storylines, the wrestling cant be good because it will have no meaning. People wont be invested in whether someone wins or loses.

And without the wrestling, the character work will fall flat because the fans know they wont get a good pay off. Theres no point being a Bray Wyatt where your character work is really good but whenever it gets to the match it just turns shit either because of booking or your lack of wrestling skill.

·
Oh My Goddess
3,580 Posts
Characters overall.

You're not going to get workrate focused smarks to semi-permanently abandon smaller feds in any significant numbers to watch a product put out by "The Man." And they are basically the only group who enjoys sitting through long technical matches on a constant basis.

For the E to enjoy another golden era though, they need a number of factors to fall into place. (Economic, social, personal, etc.) Some of which they do not control.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Characters, work rate doesn't draw. The most important thing will always be the story and the characters involved in them. If they can also then put on amazing matches then great, but it's the character that's most important. The problem you have tho is Vince is too out of touch and then you have Triple H who's too interested in pandering to a small portion of the audience so it's hard to see WWE getting back to having big drawing superstars and compelling storylines anytime soon. Even if they have good characters and guys who're over like Brock, Cena, Bray, Braun, New Day, Nakamura and quite a few others, they've simply no idea how to book them in an interesting way. As a result you get Brock doing the same thing most matches and just letting Heyman talk, you get Bray give similar promos and constantly failing to back up what he's saying, they'll find a way to mess up Braun, New Day rely on catchphrases and you can already see they're struggling to build up Nakamura as a major star and are currently relying on his reputation among the fans who've already seen him to get him over.

Lucha Underground is way way ahead of WWE when it comes to characters and stories, for a number of reasons. Mainly they're in touch with modern times and they know that the audience aren't idiots, but that's probably for a different discussion.

·
Oh My Goddess
3,580 Posts
Characters, work rate doesn't draw. The most important thing will always be the story and the characters involved in them. If they can also then put on amazing matches then great, but it's the character that's most important. The problem you have tho is Vince is too out of touch and then you have Triple H who's too interested in pandering to a small portion of the audience so it's hard to see WWE getting back to having big drawing superstars and compelling storylines anytime soon. Even if they have good characters and guys who're over like Brock, Cena, Bray, Braun, New Day, Nakamura and quite a few others, they've simply no idea how to book them in an interesting way. As a result you get Brock doing the same thing most matches and just letting Heyman talk, you get Bray give similar promos and constantly failing to back up what he's saying, they'll find a way to mess up Braun, New Day rely on catchphrases and you can already see they're struggling to build up Nakamura as a major star and are currently relying on his reputation among the fans who've already seen him to get him over.
Wrong thread for it, but just to touch on this tangent.........

They really screwed Bray more than they realize with stuff like his back to back 'Mania losses to Cena and Taker. His speaking kind of reinforces the notion that as a conqueror and leader of the world, he ought to win most of the high profile money conflicts he is in.

After a while, it's much more difficult to take him seriously when he talks the talk, but can't walk the walk.

·
Registered
12,199 Posts
What should the WWE build around, work-rate? As it's been doing since like 2013.
No it hasn't. It's been building around soap opera storylines many of them tired and rehashed since 2013 not work-rate.

There wasn't a single work-rate based match at Wrestlemania this year, even angle and Benoit at wm17 as short as that feud was was built around who was the best wrestler. You can't say that about Owens and Jericho (friendship and betrayal), miz and Cena, Orton and Wyatt, Rollins and HHH, Goldberg and Lesnar, styles and shane. nothing on the card was work-rate based, everything was characters in a mini soap opera playing out with the wins and losses not meaning much in the overall grand scheme of things as this kind of booking doesn't facilitate it unless you have a really super hot attraction like Rock and Austin in 1998-00 or Hogan or even Cena and Batista in 2005-07.

Even a guy like Neville vastly changes to fit into modern WWE as Bryan did in 2013. He slows down, does a fraction of the moves he once did, talk far far more and obviously plays the role of an evil over the top heel.

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
Characters... You need good characters and talkers for a weekly product like WWE. The average casual WWE fan isn't a workrate mark and they'll never be one. You want to know why ratings are down it's not because of the match quality, it's because of the characters and writing.

Two of the best feuds in WWE history are Austin/McMahon and Austin/Rock and that was due to the characters and writing involved. Not because of workrate

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
Workrate

It's easy to sit there and say that the product should be built around characters and use days gone by as example of why that should be, but there are so many restrictions today. Many of those same characters wouldn't even be allowed on screen today. Many would be laughed off the stage while defiant chants were heard throughout arenas telling the company they, for example, know Kane isn't Takers brother. All while booing the FOTC out of the building.

Workrate isn't nearly as limited with the exception of head shots and blood amd the athleticism is one thing in the product that has continued to gradually progress as opposed to regressing. Over the last few years I've seen far more great matches than I've seen great character segments.

If it were up to me and the world were perfect we'd have all arounders like Flair, Savage, Austin, Angle, and Jericho out there, but with the limitations placed on the product and more defiant fans than ever I can at least still hope for great matches. Change these parameters and my answer would probably change along with it.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts