Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to do a poll on this the other day, but you can only have 20 options, meaning I'd have to miss 9 Wrestlemania's out, so I'm just wondering which Wrestlemania do you feel is the best and why?

Reason I ask is, I've only got Wrestlemania 1 - 6 on DVD, I wanna get the rest of them to be honest, even if they are ridiculous prices in the UK for them now since Silver Vision went under lol

But yeah, without giving too much away in regards to spoilers, for anyone who may read this thread also, let me know which Wrestlemania you feel has been the best so far and why?

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
WM 17. Just look at the card. And it also featured the greatest wwe championship match of all time.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Wrestlemania's 17, 19 and 3 seem to be the most common answers and I can't really disagree too much.

That said, Wrestlemania 8 is one of my absolute favourites personally and pretty underrated in my book. Of the earlier Wrestlemanias I see a lot of love for 10 and rarely much recognition for 8. Favourite year, favourite roster (although 97 pushes both close), and just a really fun card.

- As a Sid fan I enjoyed the main event (although I can see why people might have thought it stunk)
- Savage versus Flair was great
- Bret versus Piper was great
- Undertaker featured (nothing special admittedly but what's a Mania without Taker)
- Shawn Michaels joining the Hitman and the Phenom as 3 future stars winning and beginning to get important singles pushes going forward
- Memorable gimmicks galore in other matches
- Heenan and Monsoon still GOATing it up on commentary
- Great arena and looked better visually than a lot of the earlier Manias

So yeah, lotta love for 8 here along with the more obvious choices.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
It's hard to argue against 3. IMO, you had the greatest and possibly the biggest WWE matches ever on one card.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I have to go with the obvious choice of 17. Benoit/Angle was only my 5th favorite match on the card. That should tell you all you need to know about the awesomeness that was Wrestlemania 17.

14 and 20 are my runners up. 14 was built so well. I looked forward to just about every match. It was a solid show from top to bottom hurt only by a lack of all time classics imo. Just a really fun show, and as another poster said, a great way to kick off a new era. 20 had a bit more filler, but I loved both title matches, Taker's return (though the match sucked), Jericho/Christian and the super fun Evolution tag. And I wasn't even one of 'those' Benoit/Eddie fans.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Wrestlemania's 17, 19 and 3 seem to be the most common answers and I can't really disagree too much.

That said, Wrestlemania 8 is one of my absolute favourites personally and pretty underrated in my book. Of the earlier Wrestlemanias I see a lot of love for 10 and rarely much recognition for 8. Favourite year, favourite roster (although 97 pushes both close), and just a really fun card.

- As a Sid fan I enjoyed the main event (although I can see why people might have thought it stunk)
- Savage versus Flair was great
- Bret versus Piper was great
- Undertaker featured (nothing special admittedly but what's a Mania without Taker)
- Shawn Michaels joining the Hitman and the Phenom as 3 future stars winning and beginning to get important singles pushes going forward
- Memorable gimmicks galore in other matches
- Heenan and Monsoon still GOATing it up on commentary
- Great arena and looked better visually than a lot of the earlier Manias

So yeah, lotta love for 8 here along with the more obvious choices.
Great write up. Bret/Piper is criminally underrated. Maybe Piper's best match (if it's not starrcade 83 vs Valentine) and just a great IC title match when the IC title was important. Great moment for Bret. Really established himself as a top singles guy. I think 8 is def one of the most underrated Manias. I have a hard time not saying one of the three you listed. Something for every kind of rasslin fan at all of those Manias. Those are all complete Manias IMHO.

3 for me, although I am a sucker for Battle Royal's so 2 is second.
As am I! I love Wrestlemania 4 (come at me haters) and the concept of the title being up for grabs in a tournament was awesome. That battle royal was awesome though and the start of Bret's face run which is arguably one of the best face runs ever. WM 4 might be my #1 its tough.

Between 3,4,8,17 and 19 those are probably my top five Manias. With 8, 14, 20 and 24 up there as well. Fuck just lots of goodness.

·
Registered
6,700 Posts
Probably 17. You had the greatest main event match of all time IMO with Steve Austin and The Rock squaring off against one another in their prime. It also added to it that they were both babyfaces because there was no "good guy overcoming the bad guy and getting his big victory" angle here. It was two huge stars who were both on the same level and who were both beloved (though Austin was cheered more at the event because of it being in Texas) and who both wanted to be world champion going at it. That sit down interview with JR leading to the event was perfect and completely sold the match all by itself IMO. And then the ending, which saw Austin turn heel and side with Vince, was shocking. Yeah, it leaves a sour taste in people's mouths looking back on it, but if you ignore what came after, that moment with Austin and Vince sharing a beer with each other is a magical moment.

Then you have the Vince/Shane street fight, which saw an awesome moment when Linda stood up from her wheelchair and kicked Vince in the nuts. Triple H/Undertaker was awesome. Chyna squashing Ivory and the triple threat Hardcore Title match were both fun to watch. Everything else was either pretty good at best or pretty decent at worst, but really stands out as bad or skipable.

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
52,531 Posts
The thread asks personally. So, not best card or best matches from top to bottom, but for me personally definitely WrestleMania 10. It took place on my 11th birthday, and it was the first wrestling PPV I ever went to, and it was at MSG. Also, my first time at MSG. I was only 11, but I can still picture what it looked like when I walked through the tunnel and into the arena. It was sensory overload for me and something I'll never forget. Great birthday.

Cardwise, from top to bottom? WM 19. It had so many stars from eras past and present, as well. Lots of quality matches. Everything you could want in a WrestleMania. WrestleMania's 14 and 17 were really good and entertaining, as well.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There has been some great answers so far, I so need to get some more Wrestlemania's on DVD!!!!

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm kinda wondering which would be the most popular one on a whole, if the whole world of wrestling fans voted on it, Wrestlemania 3 I could see being a contender, simply for the Savage/Steamboat match alone being tipped as one of the greatest matches of all time.

·
Registered
15,835 Posts
The ones I watch the most would be III and VI... just great all around cards in my opinion with moments all over and huge main events. I also really like IV, V, and VII. I just tend towards that Golden Age of wrestling for most things, though WMX wasn't too bad. For some reason though, I just find it hard to rewatch the AE and beyond Wrestlemanias.. I just find the other PPVs of those eras to be so much stronger, especially recently with a string of essentially 10 pretty mediocre to outright terrible WMs. They seem to be really focusing too much on making it a spectacle instead of letting the wrestling and aura make it the spectacle like it used to. It comes off as so fake now to me... other PPVs have captured the magic so much better in the last decade.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Favourite WM: I'd say WM 18, cause I've never thought my two favourite superstars ever would square off in the ring at the biggest wrestling show of the year.

Best WM: X7.

·
Banned
4,704 Posts
WrestleMania XV
The event had :russo all over it. The great booking that helped WWE gain momentum continued at that WrestleMania.
I don't want it to spoil for you but you had so many WTF moments and swerves going on.
This one event featured more existing stuff than this whole year

·
Banned
586 Posts
WrestleMania 17, watched it live on TV and got to see my favorite win the title :austin the rest of the show was excellent as well

·
Registered
246 Posts
My Favourite has to be WM-10

I remember watching it and absolutely hating the fact that Owen beat Bret in the opener ( I was a huge Bret fan back in the day) but the ladder match with Razor and HBK made me forget about that then the Hitman wins the gold in the main event. I still get goosebumps when you see the footageof Bret lifting the belt up after the match.

·
Who am I ?
4,921 Posts
The thread asks personally. So, not best card or best matches from top to bottom, but for me personally definitely WrestleMania 10. It took place on my 11th birthday, and it was the first wrestling PPV I ever went to, and it was at MSG. Also, my first time at MSG. I was only 11, but I can still picture what it looked like when I walked through the tunnel and into the arena. It was sensory overload for me and something I'll never forget. Great birthday.
Didnt a certain Ladder match happen that stole the show as well ?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts