1998 - Steve Austin
1997 - Dean Malenko
1996 - Shawn Michaels
1995 - Diesel
1994 - Bret Hart
1993 - Bret Hart
1992 - Sting
1991 - Hulk Hogan

2008 (Randy Orton won) for me. How the hell was Chris Jericho not #1? And even more shocking, he came in at 29. He had an incredible heel turn and an amazing feud with HBK. And he was such a consistent wrestler all year and really helped the WWE after a boring 2007. He definitely should have been #1 or at least in the top 5.

·
Asuka
96,241 Posts
Well, disagree on what? PWI is a kayfabe list, so I'd have to say Dean Malenko and fucking AJ Styles who's not even competing in a major promotion (I know it's #2, but don't say it's major). I mean, as much as I hate Hogan, if it's kayfabe wise, I can't really argue with success despite him being a no talent piece of shit.

If you mean based on talent, then I'd say I disagree on damn near all of them except for Austin, Triple H and Kurt, because really, those are probably the only guys who actually were the best in those given years. Of course I'm talking as an overall package.

·
Banned
611 Posts
Aren't the lists based on the year before, though? Because that would make sense for Orton and Hunter, since they both had spent a lenghty time as champion during the year past.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
1997 Dean Malenko?

Um... ok. Guy put on amazing matches, yes. But his opponents played a huge part in that. I would say Taker should've taken 97 as his storyline with Bearer and Mankind kept the WWF main event alive during that time when a young Shawn Michaels was throwing shit fits with everyone he worked with. The Undertaker was the glue that kept the company together during 96/97 while the WWF transitioned into what we call the Attitude Era.

Malenko was an good wrestler, but I think Taker was an overall better team player for the WWF in that time frame.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I don't really have a problem with anyone except for this year's #1.

Even then, I could understand a little bit.

Everything else I don't have a problem with.

I fucking love that Dean Malenko was #1 in 97!

·
#FunFact™
7,513 Posts
Assuming this is for the year before, cause I can understand Miz for 2010, not really 2011.
It's from May 2010 to May 2011. The guy was US Champ, MITB Winner, WWE Champ, and won the main event at Wrestlemania in the time frame. You can't get much better than that.

Punk has to be in 1st place for next year's PWI so far. I can't think of anyone who's done better from May until now with the exception of Del Rio.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Dean Malenko hands down.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts