Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know he was leaving the company for wcw but with the buy out and wwf taking over what do you thank would change

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
The whole landscape would be different. There's no telling how much that domino effect would knock onto today's product so it really is a difficult and redundant conversation point.

Without the screwjob, we might not have had the Mr McMahon character which gave Austin the perfect enemy which shot his (and the WWF's) popularity to ridiculous levels. From there on God knows how different things might have been.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
It's like asking what would've happened had the dinosaur's never been wiped out, nobody could possibly tell, as the poster above said, the entire landscape would be completely different. The only person who could possibly have the slightest clue would be Vince Mcmahon, because he may or may not have had the idea to create the Mr.Mcmahon character before the incident

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm gonna take a different approach to answering this question... hmmm, well, he would've had probably signed a 5-year contract in 1997 to stay with the WWE... In signing the contract, he would've won the belt in Montreal... Being with the WWE, he wouldn't have had a concussion from Goldberg which really screwed him up as far as health... I speculate the concussion has done more damage than we know, in which I believe had an indirect role in his accident which he hit is head and gave him a stroke... I believe that in the end of the that contract (2002), a healthy Bret would've mentored more superstars which would've created better wrestling matches... At the end of that contract, he would've retired and be an on-again/off-again talent like he is now.
The Attitude Era would have happened. Austin would've always been Austin. The Rock would've been the Rock. The Undertaker would've been the Undertaker. And if Bret stayed with the WWE, his name would be associated with the Attitude Era, though I believe he would've been the only clean face of that Era.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I think the Mr McMahon character would have still developed, just at a less accelerated rate. Obviously wouldn't have been as successful initially, as he gained so much heat from the Montreal Screwjob. He was already becoming more involved in storylines, particularly in confrontations with Bret Hart.

In my opinion, Bret Hart helped start the Attitude Era. While DX was forming, the Austin vs Hart Foundation/USA vs Canada angle was the best thing going in the company and for a guy people ridicule so often for his lack of mic skills, Bret cut some very good promos and proved he could work as both a babyface and heel. Austin and The Rock would have become bigger stars than Bret during that era due to their characters and personalities, but he'd have survived in the environment and still main evented (improving the quality of wrestling by working with guys like Rock, Austin, HHH, Shamrock, Benoit etc), despite not being entirely comfortable with the direction the product was going.

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
Had Bret stayed, Bret would have turned face by around WM 14 in a match with probably Austin for the third and final time for the WWF title. With Austin winning still and ushering the era, it ends the trifecta series of the two. Bret would have possibly moved on to DX as the clean face while HBK is the degenerate heel. It would be an almost year long feud in 1997 while Austin, Foley, Rock, and Taker lead the mantle of the Attitude Era.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts