• Top 15

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was discussing this is another thread and thought it was interesting to see what everybody else thinks

Where would 2017 Styles fit in the current NJPW landscape as a wrestler?
Top 3? Top 5? Top 10? Top 15?

- Okada Kazuchika
- Kenny Omega
- Naito Tetsuya
- Tanahashi Hiroshi
- Shibata Katsuyori's Ghost
- Ishii Tomohiro
- Zach Saber Jr
- Ibushi Kota
- Kushida
- Takahashi Hirmou
- Suzuki Minoru
- Goto Hirooki
- Cody
- Michael Elgin
- Nagata Yuji
- Evil
- Sanada

For me, I would probably put him in between Takahashi Hiromu and Suzuki Minoru, so I guess that means I would have him fringe Top 10

Where do you think he would slot, wrestlingforum?

Reactions: SR7

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Can Okada or Omega bring the best out of Brock Lesnar like Styles did?

I don't watch them alot so I'm not saying it in sarcasm,I really wonder.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
Ranking based on 2017 Cagematch ratings.
1-Tetsuya Naito/Katsuyori Shibata
2-AJ Styles
3-Kazuchika Okada
4-Kenny Omega
5-Kota Ibushi
6-Hiromu Takahashi
7-Kushida
8-Hiroshi Tanahashi
9-Tomohiro Ishii
10-Will Ospreay
11-Michael Elgin
12-Marty Scurll
13-Zach Sabre Jr
14-Hirooki Goto
15-Sanada
16-Evil
17-Minoru Suzuki
18-Yuji Nagata
19-Cody Rhodes

-Older wrestlers adjusted for age because they tend to not get rated for their current abillity and more their influence on the business. For example, Suzuki is a 9.77 and he is most certainly not a 9.77 based on his 2017 work.

Also, don't blame me. Blame the fans who voted.

Edit 2:put in Ospreay and Scurll because why not.

·
Baby Yoda
29,738 Posts
Top 5.

AJ is 40 and has nothing to prove. He's not going to go out there to work intense matches the top 3 are working when he's so close to retirement and has a family to think about. What those guys are doing may be great, but it's taking time off the back end of their careers. It would be those 3 followed by Tanahashi, AJ and Ibushi, in any order depending on how they fare.

As for those downplaying AJ, just remember that Nakamura Shinsuke went from being one of the best big match performers in the world to a complete non entity in the WWE. It isn't easy to make the transition to the WWE and become one of their top stars, AJ did that in less than a year.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As for those downplaying AJ, just remember that Nakamura Shinsuke went from being one of the best big match performers in the world to a complete non entity in the WWE. It isn't easy to make the transition to the WWE and become one of their top stars, AJ did that in less than a year.
Nakamura Shinsuke is lazy; AJ Styles is not.

That's a work ethic issue, not a booking issue.

Guys like Cesaro or Sami etc of this gen or look at guys of last gen like Regal or Christian etc would always produce 3+ star matches on TV at minimum regardless of opponent. None of those guys have ever been booked half as a well as Nakamura Shinsuke has, yet their worst matches are better than most of his WWE matches so far.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
It’s too close between Okada and Styles, I prefer Aj over Okada but Okadas record breaking year can’t be denied. Omega can’t win the big one so he shouldn’t be in the conversation.

·
Registered
9,697 Posts
Can Okada or Omega bring the best out of Brock Lesnar like Styles did?

I don't watch them alot so I'm not saying it in sarcasm,I really wonder.
To be completely honest, I'd be absolutely shocked if they didn't. Not a knock on Styles in the slightest, but those two guys are that good.

It would all depend on if Brock wanted to work that night or not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts