Wrestling Forum banner

Where will Cena stack up next to other faces of the WWE ?

1095 Views 14 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Dyl
I was thinking of the top dogs in the WWE since 1985 and there have been a top face during each era of the WWE.

'The Golden era' - Hulk Hogan
'New Generation era' - Bret hart
'Attitude era' - Austin / The rock
'Modern era' - John cena

Now there have obviously been guys inbetween and top guys for short periods of time but these guys have mostly been the top guys in thier time. In a few years where will Cena stand as one of the greats and next to these guys ?

Personaly i think The Rock and Austin were the best ever, Hogan was an absolute superstar, and john cena is like the modern day bret hart, he does it for the kids.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
364 Posts
Cena stacks up incredibley well.

People tend to forget that Cena has been ontop for five, arguabley SIX years now. He's worked more main events and done more for the company than Rock or Austin. No, he's not as popular as them (which is due to the Rock/Austin era being a pop-culture boom in itself), but in terms of the top draw, carrying the company and whatnot? He's way, way up there.

· Registered
1,188 Posts
In terms of wrestling ability; dead last.

In terms of star power; I hate to put John Cena ahead of Bret Hart in anything, but I think Cena trumps Hart in this category. If for nothing else but the longevity of his reign on top. Imo, Cena also trumps the other non-mentioned "faces of the WWE' (Ultimate Warrior, Shawn Michales, Brock Lesner, HHH and any others you consider) in this category. He is far behind Hogan/Rock/Austin though.

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Is he as big a name as Hogan or Austin? No. We still have to remember that Cna is still going. He is going to get bigger and huger as he goes. Also, he is 33. He has a good 10-12 years left.

· Registered
1,247 Posts

In terms of star power; I hate to put John Cena ahead of Bret Hart in anything, but I think Cena trumps Hart in this category. If for nothing else but the longevity of his reign on top. Imo, Cena also trumps the other non-mentioned "faces of the WWE' (Ultimate Warrior, Shawn Michales, Brock Lesner, HHH and any others you consider) in this category. He is far behind Hogan/Rock/Austin though.
False.

Cena can wrestle just as good as any of those guys, save Bret. Did you ever watch a Rock/Austin match? Punch, Punch, Punch, Irish Whip, Clothesline, stomp, stomp, punch, punch.

Ridiculous.

· Registered
20,997 Posts

Cena is a better wrestler than Hogan, Rock, and Austin post neck injury. Obviously Bret Hart is better than him.

· Registered
1,188 Posts
False.

Cena can wrestle just as good as any of those guys, save Bret. Did you ever watch a Rock/Austin match? Punch, Punch, Punch, Irish Whip, Clothesline, stomp, stomp, punch, punch.

Ridiculous.
Imo, that is superior (even if only slightly) to No Sell Opponent's Move, No Sell Opponent's Move, No Sell Opponent's Move, Side Slam, 5-Knuckle Shuffle, AA, World's Weakest STF.

Also Austin was great in the ring (at least pre neck injury).

· Registered
19,085 Posts
Cenas only 33 isn't he?

By time a guy like hogan was 33 it was the late 80s meaning his career was just getting started. Hogan was the first real big star in the WWE, but in terms of impact he'll have on his respective era, I think Cena will be ontop for sure.

Rock-Austin were great, but they also had a roster full of important superstars with characters. Cena had to basically carry a company on his own for years.

· Registered
1,170 Posts
Cena's at the bottom of that list. The others will go down as all-time greats, but Cena's just the guy who's been put at the top. He doesn't do a terrible job, but being Vince's favourite for six years doesn't match the sheer star power and industry-changing popularity of Hogan or the talent of Bret, Rock or Austin.

I look at it this way; Hogan deserved to be the star of the golden era because of his massive popularity.
Bret deserved it because he got himself over with incredible wrestling ability.
Austin was simply the best of his generation, a top in-ring performer and hugely charismatic talker.
Rock was destined to be a star; he was just too entertaining for it not to happen.

Cena is at the top because he was chosen by Vince. He's not great in-ring, and his promos suffer from bad writing and formulaic delivery. If anything, he deserves to be on top for all his hard work, but that's it. He's no natural megastar like the others, he's just the guy put on top.

· Registered
364 Posts
Imo, that is superior (even if only slightly) to No Sell Opponent's Move, No Sell Opponent's Move, No Sell Opponent's Move, Side Slam, 5-Knuckle Shuffle, AA, World's Weakest STF.
There is no correct way to pretend to fight.

If the WWE think John Cena wrestles well enough to have him in the main event of 90% of their shows, you can damn well bank on John Cena knowing how to wrestle. He need to conform to the often ridiculous and misguided standards of the IWC. He's just fine.

· Registered
9,456 Posts
Everybody has their own personal era of preference and their own favourite face. I grew up watching the "Golden era" and "New Generation era" so I rate guys like Randy Savage and Bret Hart above Cena, The Rock and Austin, not because I dislike them but because they were indicative of the era that I fell in love with. Their matches mean more to me than anything that has come since because it's the era that I became a wrestling fan and they were the guys who kept me spellbound and entertained. Kids who grew up as wrestling fans before me probably rate Roddy Piper, Hulk Hogan and Andre The Giant the same way, just as the fans who came after me rate Austin, Triple H and The Rock. Everybody has their favourite era and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. The PG Era fans people who cheer Cena and buy his merchandise are no better or worse than the people who came before them. It's all subjective and it's all about your own memories of wrestling.

The people who say that Cena can't wrestle are just plain wrong, though. Whether you like him or not, you can't say that the guy "can't wrestle" because it's just a damn lie. Sure, he may not be Chris Benoit or Bret Hart in the ring but you don't get to the position that he's in not being able to wrestle. It's a different style for a different era, that's all. He has the ability to capture the imagination of an audience and keep them interested in his matches - enough that he is a consistent main event star, fan favourite and top merchandise seller. Just because he doesn't perform to the style that you like doesn't mean that he's not a good performer. Like the old saying goes, 'you can't please everybody'.

Personally I think that Cena has done a great job as face of the company during a difficult and transitional time for the company. When the company came under scrutiny following the Guererro and Benoit tragedies, Cena was the consummate professional. He has showed dedication, loyalty and respect to both the fans and the business as a whole. From what I understand he has avoided the unsavoury aspects of the life and comes across as a decent person and positive role model for his fans. I haven't heard any stories of Shawn Michaels style backstage politics from him and he seems more genuine than that self serving hypocrite Hulk Hogan. He also carried himself with admirable self restraint and fortitude when the smarks were antagonising him with their "Cena sucks" and "If Cena wins we riot" assault. Fair enough, I'm not his biggest fan but I think that the current generation of WWE fans could do a lot worse.

Yeah, I know that most people's problems with Cena come from the fact that he was "pushed down our throats" and that people are bored of his gimmick but that really isn't his fault. The fact is, since his rise to the top Cena has been used to help out a lot of younger talent; Carlito, Umaga, Khali, Wade Barret and Sheamus have all benefited from rivalries with him. His feud with Edge helped establish Edge as a legitimate main eventer and he did the same with Randy Orton. He even worked to establish RVD as a main eventer (before RVD fucked up). I know that a lot of these guys careers didn't exactly go as planned but they all benefited one way or another from their feuds with Cena. There aren't many other top name guys who are as willing to help develop younger talent. Seriously, could you imagine Hogan or HBK doing the same?

· Registered
7,601 Posts

I wouldn't say that John Cena would be dead last when it comes to wrestling ability because he is just as good if not better in the ring as The Rock and Hulk Hogan but would be behind Stone Cold Steve Austin who before SummerSlam in 1997 was a great in ring worker and also Bret Hart who is considered one of the best in ring workers ever. As far as great matches from an in ring standpoint i would go as far as to say that John Cena has had better matches than The Rock and Hulk Hogan as well and at 33 years old will only have more.

Also as things stand he is behind Stone Cold Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan and The Rock but what needs to be remembered is that wrestling was so much more popular when those three were around which is what added to their star power and popularity, if any of those would have wrestled from 2005 through to now none would be as HUGE as they are. For John Cena to even be able to get people to ask the question of where he stacks up in comparison shows how big he really is because of where the wrestling industry is now in comparison to back then, as i said above at 33 years old he realistically could be around on top for another decade because there is no one anywhere near him right now.

The biggest names outside of John Cena are Triple H and The Undertaker who are a year or two at most from moving backstage or retiring and after that it would be Rey Mysterio as the nearest to John Cena for star power and he himself is rumoured every year to be retiring because his knees are said to be shot. Next up would be Randy Orton who is so far behind John Cena it is untrue and complete madness when people say that Randy Orton is on the same level as John Cena, then look at everyone else on the roster and tell me a name who looks as if they are honestly going to be bigger than John Cena.

As things stand already John Cena has made more money for WWE through merchandise sales than either of Hulk Hogan or The Rock did and it was reported not long ago that John Cena had actually surpassed Stone Cold Steve Austin as the biggest merchandise seller in wrestling history. John Cena won't have made more money through PPV sales when main eventing as the other three but i wouldn't bet against him doing so because of his longetivity, John Cena has been the main man in WWE for as long as Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock's WWE careers lasted and is still going and i'll say it again at 33 years old is still coming towards his prime years.

I'm a HUGE mark for Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock and also acknowledge Hulk Hogan as the biggest name to have ever come out of wrestling but people always overlook the fact that whilst they were the biggest names of their era they also had a great mid card and tag team scene as a back up to their main event matches. Look at what John Cena has as back up a lot of the time in comparison to the big three and no matter what anyone says the mid card and tag team scene played a big part in why ratings were so high and why PPV buyrates were doing such HUGE numbers.

In Hulk Hogan's era you had Andre The Giant who was the biggest draw around before Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Ric Flair, The Undertaker, Jake Roberts, The Ultimate Warrior, Ricky Steamboat, Ted DiBiase, The Road Warriors, Demolition, The Hart Foundation, The Rockers, Rick Rude, The British Bulldogs, Sgt Slaughter and Mr Perfect and i know i'm missing some out. Then when Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock were around you had The Undertaker, Triple H, Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, Kurt Angle, Mick Foley, Kane, D-Generation X, Owen Hart, The Road Warriors, The Hardyz, The Dudley Boys, Edge and Christian, Mr McMahon, The Big Show when he mattered and Eddie Guerrero all before WCW and ECW went out of business and WWE got all of their talent as well.

Now no one can deny that all of those wrestlers from that first group contributed a HUGE amount to the ratings and buyrates from when Hulk Hogan was on top and the second group did the same for when Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock were on top in their era but then look at the current WWE roster and find someone who honestly draws people into watch outside of John Cena and the old two in Triple H and The Undertaker. I would give anything for WWE to have someone come through to rival John Cena as the main man because that kind if rivalry is good for business and as Stone Cold Steve Austin said having The Rock around brought out the best in each other but John Cena doesn't have that and that will always play a big part in whether he will ever be alongside the big three.

· Registered
1,685 Posts
Cena's at the bottom of that list. The others will go down as all-time greats, but Cena's just the guy who's been put at the top. He doesn't do a terrible job, but being Vince's favourite for six years doesn't match the sheer star power and industry-changing popularity of Hogan or the talent of Bret, Rock or Austin.

I look at it this way; Hogan deserved to be the star of the golden era because of his massive popularity.
Bret deserved it because he got himself over with incredible wrestling ability.
Austin was simply the best of his generation, a top in-ring performer and hugely charismatic talker.
Rock was destined to be a star; he was just too entertaining for it not to happen.

Cena is at the top because he was chosen by Vince. He's not great in-ring, and his promos suffer from bad writing and formulaic delivery. If anything, he deserves to be on top for all his hard work, but that's it. He's no natural megastar like the others, he's just the guy put on top.
correct in every way

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.