Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 has seen walkouts in the NFL, NBA, Wall Street and in the past previous weeks, the WWE. What could have been an innovative and extended story turned into a confusing, rushed segment that led to no changes, swerves and a disappointing WWE Raw cliff-hanger. Several factors led to the walkout failure in what could have been a great storyline to follow.
Superstars Missing

At the initial walkout, the WWE locker room surrounded the ring and made their complaints to Triple H. Notably missing from the roster were John Cena and CM Punk. They explained their reasons on WWE Raw a week later and chose to stay, but the walkout would have been more impactful if they were present and left with the rest of the roster.

Nobody really cares if Primo walks out on WWE Raw, did anybody even know that he was still a part of the roster? John Cena would have had a big impact, especially on the young fans who still believe these stories are real.

After the walkout occurred, Triple H should have taken a step further. WWE Raw title holders like Alberto Del Rio and Air Boom should have been stripped of the straps if they chose to walkout. Instead, they appeared the next night on WWE Smackdown with titles in hand.

Fake Wrestlers

On this Monday's WWE Raw, Triple H mentioned wrestling a broomstick and there was a short match between Sheamus and John Cena, but they should have taken the walkout one step further.

Remember the days of Fake Diesel and Fake Razor Ramon? WWE should have repeated that and used development stars as quick replacements like Ralph Ziggler, Alberto Del Taco or Kofi Queenston. Instead, the walkout ended within 10 minutes of the next episode, making it pointless.

Other novelties could have worked too. For example, a "fan" could have picked from the crowd to wrestle like Santino Marella first did. Triple H could have brought out an old friend like X-Pac to help compete. There were endless situations that could have propelled the two hours until the stars finally returned at the end of WWE Raw instead of a rushed resolution.

Rushed Pay Per Views

One of the main reasons for the rushed walkout was the rushed build up to the WWE Vengeance pay per view event. Instead of putting together a half-assed card, WWE should have just canceled this event months ago and left a multi-week build-up to The Rock's return at Survivor Series.

This would have helped the walkout make more sense and help build bigger feuds for the event. Instead fans will see Triple H and CM Punk team up when they could have joined The Rock and John Cena for a much bigger tag team event and tension-filled anticipation between the four stars.

What where your thoughts on the walkout?

·
These days I find beauty as depressing as years be
13,966 Posts
It should have never happen, its so stupid and it doesn't benefit anyone that needs it.

·
Super Moderator
19,308 Posts
The story line makes no sense at all. People will tell you that it's professional wrestling, it doesn't have to make sense. But that's a cop out really. When it's stupid it's fucking stupid. I don't have a problem with calling a spade a fucking spade and this is a fucking spade.

The only way a walk out would have made sense is if there was a union....and as everyone with a brain knows, there is no union. The storyline makes absolutely not sense. But it's professional wrestling, insulting the fans intelligence means nothing.... we are stupid after all.... right?

·
Registered
413 Posts
They even messed up the Miz/Truth part of the storyline!

At Hell in a Cell Miz and Truth attacked everyone including refs. Now on Raw during the no confidence vote the refs tell HHH they don't feel safe because of Miz and Truth. And this past Monday HHH is removed from his COO/GM position and everyone comes back. So why would Charles Robinson be in the ring with Truth and Miz calling a match? Miz and Truth were the reason the refs said they were un-safe, but the very next week they are in the ring together like nothing has happened!

·
Banned
2,176 Posts
The story line makes no sense at all. People will tell you that it's professional wrestling, it doesn't have to make sense. But that's a cop out really. When it's stupid it's fucking stupid. I don't have a problem with calling a spade a fucking spade and this is a fucking spade.

The only way a walk out would have made sense is if there was a union....and as everyone with a brain knows, there is no union. The storyline makes absolutely not sense. But it's professional wrestling, insulting the fans intelligence means nothing.... we are stupid after all.... right?

Take a look at the ratings first. Last week this storyline alone drew more than 1 million viewers & this week opening segment did very well.

Its working with the casuals who are the real business to WWE, not some Smarks overanalyzing everything.

·
Super Moderator
19,308 Posts
Take a look at the ratings first. Last week this storyline alone drew more than 1 million viewers & this week opening segment did very well.

Its working with the casuals who are the real business to WWE, not some Smarks overanalyzing everything.
Since I don't own stock in WWE I couldn't care less what the ratings are. That makes no difference to me in any way, shape or form. I don't enjoy the product any more or any less depending on what the ratings are.

The storyline is still fucking stupid as I already pointed out. But since it's professional wrestling, stupidity doesn't matter. Neither does insulting someone's intelligence since intelligence isn't required for viewing. Having a fucking brain seems to be frowned upon.

And people wonder why Punk makes fun of wrestling fans.

·
Banned
6,658 Posts
2011 has seen walkouts in the NFL, NBA, Wall Street and in the past previous weeks, the WWE. What could have been an innovative and extended story turned into a confusing, rushed segment that led to no changes, swerves and a disappointing WWE Raw cliff-hanger. Several factors led to the walkout failure in what could have been a great storyline to follow.
Superstars Missing

At the initial walkout, the WWE locker room surrounded the ring and made their complaints to Triple H. Notably missing from the roster were John Cena and CM Punk. They explained their reasons on WWE Raw a week later and chose to stay, but the walkout would have been more impactful if they were present and left with the rest of the roster.

Nobody really cares if Primo walks out on WWE Raw, did anybody even know that he was still a part of the roster? John Cena would have had a big impact, especially on the young fans who still believe these stories are real.

After the walkout occurred, Triple H should have taken a step further. WWE Raw title holders like Alberto Del Rio and Air Boom should have been stripped of the straps if they chose to walkout. Instead, they appeared the next night on WWE Smackdown with titles in hand.

Fake Wrestlers

On this Monday's WWE Raw, Triple H mentioned wrestling a broomstick and there was a short match between Sheamus and John Cena, but they should have taken the walkout one step further.

Remember the days of Fake Diesel and Fake Razor Ramon? WWE should have repeated that and used development stars as quick replacements like Ralph Ziggler, Alberto Del Taco or Kofi Queenston. Instead, the walkout ended within 10 minutes of the next episode, making it pointless.

Other novelties could have worked too. For example, a "fan" could have picked from the crowd to wrestle like Santino Marella first did. Triple H could have brought out an old friend like X-Pac to help compete. There were endless situations that could have propelled the two hours until the stars finally returned at the end of WWE Raw instead of a rushed resolution.

Rushed Pay Per Views

One of the main reasons for the rushed walkout was the rushed build up to the WWE Vengeance pay per view event. Instead of putting together a half-assed card, WWE should have just canceled this event months ago and left a multi-week build-up to The Rock's return at Survivor Series.

This would have helped the walkout make more sense and help build bigger feuds for the event. Instead fans will see Triple H and CM Punk team up when they could have joined The Rock and John Cena for a much bigger tag team event and tension-filled anticipation between the four stars.

What where your thoughts on the walkout?
Interesting points, and a little over a few days ago I was saying something along the same lines as you. You are dead on here. The idea that other stars should have been given time would have made sense as well. Perhaps some debuts? Kings of Wrestling wouldn't have happened, but a promo by Claudio like he did in FCW a week ago would have been nice to hear.

·
Registered
454 Posts
It should have never happen, its so stupid and it doesn't benefit anyone that needs it.
I thought it quite refreshing that this got killed so quickly. Maybe someone at WWE read the message boards and realised this story was dead in the water from day one. They should read the message boards more often!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Nice post OP

I don't think the walkout went wrong, at all. Stuff like this has happened before in history. The power of the masses has been shown, not only in boss/employee level, but many other levels too. And in reply to LadyCroft, a union is not necessarily the only way this can be done. A union is simply the more organized route of protest. Sometimes the flame of indignation doesn't stop to make sense. sometimes action doesn't wait for organization.

This being said, I like your ideas, OP, and would've loved to see what you've proposed on screen.

The arguments regarding insulting intelligence, and people with a brain know x and y... I'll do exactly what you expect and say;

This is Pro Wrestling. It's such a low-brow form of entertainment. It doesn't require much intelligence to watch and enjoy. And for anyone who's hoping that the show will ever become intellectually stimulating, well you're being completely naive and should look elsewhere for your entertainment. Because it will never ever be intelligent entertainment. Ever. You don't have to be stupid to watch it - I'd consider myself a pretty smart guy and I'm enjoying the show right now.

We're talking about a show where a 90 year old woman gave birth to a hand. A show where situations that would realistically result in lawsuits, calling the police, going into therapy, life-long grudges etc. are replaced with 'a last man standing match in the squared circle to settle it once and for all.' This is a show where any and all racial and sexist stereotypes are promoted. A show where a guy can drive into the arena with a beer truck and hose down a bunch of guys, and this apparently accomplishes something. A show... aww the list goes on.

My point to the last paragraph? It's dumb-ass, fantasy stuff, through and through. I'm not using this to defend anything that might be wrong with show. I'm saying that the show has always been thick as pig shit the whole time I've ever watched it. This is nothing new.

But again, I absolutely loved Monday Night Raw.

LadyCroft, most of this is directed at you, as I'm sure you've figured out, so I'd love a response if you have time

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Just because you can take the low road, just because you think its "low brow" entertainment, doesn't mean it should be that way. WWE has been consistent in only one thing and thats taking potentially interesting storylines and killing them dead. I write and I will give creative credit for doing the weekly shows and ppvs and all but honestly they can't get a pass on this. Its lazy writing. Right now they are coasting on the fact that they are the number one company in the business and have no competition. WcW tried that and look where it got them.

·
Super Moderator
19,308 Posts
Nice post OP

I don't think the walkout went wrong, at all. Stuff like this has happened before in history. The power of the masses has been shown, not only in boss/employee level, but many other levels too. And in reply to LadyCroft, a union is not necessarily the only way this can be done. A union is simply the more organized route of protest. Sometimes the flame of indignation doesn't stop to make sense. sometimes action doesn't wait for organization.

This being said, I like your ideas, OP, and would've loved to see what you've proposed on screen.

The arguments regarding insulting intelligence, and people with a brain know x and y... I'll do exactly what you expect and say;

This is Pro Wrestling. It's such a low-brow form of entertainment. It doesn't require much intelligence to watch and enjoy. And for anyone who's hoping that the show will ever become intellectually stimulating, well you're being completely naive and should look elsewhere for your entertainment. Because it will never ever be intelligent entertainment. Ever. You don't have to be stupid to watch it - I'd consider myself a pretty smart guy and I'm enjoying the show right now.

We're talking about a show where a 90 year old woman gave birth to a hand. A show where situations that would realistically result in lawsuits, calling the police, going into therapy, life-long grudges etc. are replaced with 'a last man standing match in the squared circle to settle it once and for all.' This is a show where any and all racial and sexist stereotypes are promoted. A show where a guy can drive into the arena with a beer truck and hose down a bunch of guys, and this apparently accomplishes something. A show... aww the list goes on.

My point to the last paragraph? It's dumb-ass, fantasy stuff, through and through. I'm not using this to defend anything that might be wrong with show. I'm saying that the show has always been thick as pig shit the whole time I've ever watched it. This is nothing new.

But again, I absolutely loved Monday Night Raw.

LadyCroft, most of this is directed at you, as I'm sure you've figured out, so I'd love a response if you have time
Just because it's been stupid before doesn't mean I shouldn't have a problem with it being stupid and making no sense now. When it's stupid next year I'll have a problem with it as well. It's a valid criticism.

That being said I'm not looking for intellectual stimulation either... I'm merely looking for things to make sense. It's not a difficult concept. Really it's not. At times WWE doesn't even put forth the smallest bit of effort to make things simply make sense.

Yes I know that to have one's intelligence insulted first requires one to actually have intelligence to begin with, and let's face it, a great deal of wrestling fans do not; that can be due to age or just down right stupidity, among other things. I understand that. That's really not going to change. Neither is the writing style of WWE. They aren't suddenly going to make the product make any more sense than it ever has. I understand that also. But I'm not gonna change either. When WWE writes something stupid I'll call them out on it....even if I do enjoy it.

·
Providing For My Family
6,868 Posts
Yeah I really hated how quickly the wrestlers came back in. Took away from the whole impact of the walkout in the first place. Your idea of fake wrestlers sounds a bit cheesy though.

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,207 Posts
Did anybody ask for high brow entertainment and intellectual stimulation from the show where the two guys trade insults and then stylistically fight one another in hero and villain costumes?

All I am asking for is consistency, coherence and internal logic, which this storyline is devoid of.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Did anybody ask for high brow entertainment and intellectual stimulation from the show where the two guys trade insults and then stylistically fight one another in hero and villain costumes?

All I am asking for is consistency, coherence and internal logic, which this storyline is devoid of.
That's a top post, all I want is continuity in storylines, I don't mind shock twists, most good thrilling stories have that, I just want things to make sense, that doesn't mean things can't be over the top at times

1 - 17 of 17 Posts