Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found my self remembering when the WWE just put 2nd gen. after 2nd gen. wrestlers in the WWE and found it interesting that none of them other than Primo have began their WWE careers as faces, think about it:

Carlito debuted as heel, he's 2nd gen.

When Legacy was being formed we had Manu, Rhodes, DiBiase and Sim Snuka all heels led by Orton who was heel at the time.

Hart Dynasty as a group, same thing debuted as heels on SD on May 09' teaming with Swagger against Christian and Tommy Dreamer in a handicap match on May 26.

Usos and Tamina <-(now a tweener) debuted as heels as well

To this day even with some 2nd gen. wrestlers being on different brands they refuse to turn them face: Ted DiBiase of Raw and Cody Rhodes pf SD could be incredible midcard faces IMO.

Now the more recent MM and Husky Harris of Nexus also heels.

Has the WWE missed a chance to create a decent bunch of face wrestlers due to their refusal to make their 2nd gen. wrestler switch sides? I think they have, and as the future FWC 2nd gen. wrestlers such as Wes Brisco and Brett DiBiase wait for their moment to debut on Raw or SD can we expect them to be heels as well or will the WWE finally catch on to their mistake?

What do you think?

And if forgot to add any 2nd gen. wrestler to the list feel free to add them or correct if any one of these or the ones you might put as well have not began their WWE as heels.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
It's very difficult to debut a wrestler as a face and make the audience invest in them. Heat is much easier to obtain, and that's why they usually go down that route first, it's easier to cheer someone you already invested yourself in hating. I don't think it's anything to with the fact they're 2nd or 3rd generation, to be honest.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Most (not all) 2nd generation wrestlers don't have the passion their fathers had, and it shows. Most of these guys are boring, Dibiase, Michael mcgillicutty etc. They are basically acting like wrestlers, and didn't have to claw and scratch and bleed in the territories like their parents did. Not that they could even if they wanted to, because they syetem has changed. But you think Curt Hennig, Dusty etc, didn't give their lives to wrestling? Those guys WERE wrestling. Every once in a while you get a superb natural athlete and entertainer like the Rock, but most of the 2nd gen guys are just going through the motions without even realizing it.

But yes- bringing them in as heels is the best move. Rock was hated as a face when he first showed up. Why should people cheer for a guy they don't know? As a heel you get more time to establish your personality as an antagonist. The hoped for progression for newer guys is:

Go away boos/silence (Macintyre) >

Bad guy boos (Barrett) >

OK this guy is pretty good even though he's a heel boo/cheer Mix (Miz/ADR) >

Face Turn Cheers (Orton)

The hot shotted debuts of some guys lately has changed it up somewhat but this is kind of the tried and true route that seems to work the best. (if you watch TNA, Anderson ran through this whole progrssion in 2 months, it was pretty impressive. Although Not enough people watch TNA to make him a big deal, it was still pretty cool to watch)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Of course heat is always easier than cheers but why not take the chance to create the faces they need in some of these 2nd gen. guys and gals?

I certainly believe there are waaaayyyyyy too many heels in the WWE. This is due to WWE taking the easy way out and not giving these 2nd gen. stars a chance to prove themselves as faces. Thats why I said that this area is where this movement failed.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I sort of agree with the OP. I think Cody is fine as a heel, he's hitting his stride with his gimmick and everything. Primo is underutilized in general. And TDJ, while a boring heel, could and should be an fun face. I hope his relationship with Maryse ends with him turning face and her remaining heel (maybe she can hook up with Cody just because they "would look good together").

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Both Randy Orton and Cody Rhodes actually began as faces. Rhodes even won the tag titles as face before joining Legacy.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Yeah, most of the 2nd generation stars suffer from being in the undercard of a promotion that does not value most of that part of the roster. And then the Usos and THD are tag teams in a promotion that actively is trying to implode that division.

It seems that aside from Evolution, no stable/tag team/association has managed to create multiple stars at the same time out of their dissolution, 2nd generation stars or not.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I think WWE sign up any 2nd or 3rd generation wrestler they can get their hands on, and hope they get over because he's the son or daughter of ____, and like someone said, most of them are well ..... poor, no passion, or the fact they just aren't talented enough and will always be in their fathers shadow (DiBiase, Hennig/McGilicutty, Rhodes etc). Plus it would be harder to get them over in this modern WWE environment where alot of the crowd is made up of kids (not familiar with the legends) with their parents (only there for the kids).

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
It seems to me that they just assume we will care about them because of who thier parents were. Take Ted Dibease for example. His dad was one of the best in my opinion, Ted Jr. is just the opposite. Rocky Miavia wasn't anything until he ditched the 3rd generation superstar gimmick and started being "The Rock".

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^ Very true. These 2nd gen. stars need to find their inner Rock and detach themselves of the shadow cast from their parents if they don't I see most of them benched to FCW or released from the WWE around 2012. Ex. of who I see released by then Primo, David Hart Smith and The Usos.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Out of the two newer Legacy members, wasn't it reported that they were hoping to push DiBiase to the next level, when the group disbanded? How opposite things have become. Dashing Cody Rhodes is one of the more entertaining midcarders on SmackDown and I could see him going somewhere. DiBiase is just bland and even a charismatic valet like Maryse can't do enough to get the fans to care about him.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
TDJ still has the potential to become a credible heel in the company but the problem is the guy never gets a meaningful win ever or a feud that actually matters. He just comes of as a glorified jobber on RAW for me.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
12,225 Posts
I think WWE sign up any 2nd or 3rd generation wrestler they can get their hands on, and hope they get over because he's the son or daughter of ____, and like someone said, most of them are well ..... poor, no passion, or the fact they just aren't talented enough and will always be in their fathers shadow (DiBiase, Hennig/McGilicutty, Rhodes etc). Plus it would be harder to get them over in this modern WWE environment where alot of the crowd is made up of kids (not familiar with the legends) with their parents (only there for the kids).
There are some clear advantages to 2nd/3rd generation guys. Because they've grown up around the industry they have a head start in terms of understanding the business and can make an impression faster than an equally talented guy of the same age and experience with no family history to fall back on. I remember when I was still just a lurer on here, people talked about Ted Jr as a future star all the time which was entirley understandable because he was clearly ahead of where he should've been for his age and experience.

The problem is that everybody has a talent ceiling, when that's reached they will get no better and, because they start out knowing more about the business, these 2nd generation guys reach that ceiling far more quickly. Let's compare two guys who debuted within a few months of each other, Ted Dibiase and Dolph Ziggler (in that gimmick, I'm aware he'd been part of the Spirit Squad and Kerwin White's caddy previously). In 2008 I think most people would've said Ted was more likely to be a star than some Jeff Jarrett lookalike who went around introducing himself multiple times on every broadcast. Two years later and that has been reversed because Dolph has improved, Ted hasn't.

·
Celestial Messiah
39,109 Posts
Personally I put the blame on the death of the territory system. Dustin Rhodes. Ted Dibiase Sr. Randy Savage. Jake the Snake Roberts. Curt Hennig. Eddie Guerrero. Each of them was the son of a wrestler. But back in the day, they actually used to travel the world and perfect their craft. Nowadays they're just born and people assume they can wrestle.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Turning heel got Cody over, but he'll find the majority of his success as a fan favourite. Just wait and see; the guy has natural likability.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
I think they're scared to add second or third generation wrestlers to the roster as faces...

Didn't work out too well for that Rock guy lol. Imagine they pulled the plug on him because of that and we never got the most electrifying man in sports entertainment.

Nah, in all seriousness... I think it's probably a coincidence.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.