Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I felt that this Thread had to be made sooner rather than later as I have alot of issues close to me that I need to let out. ChristopheR said something in another post that didn't necessarily piss me off (I don't have anything against him) but made me more ready to post this thread.

When I first started booking about six months ago I relished the challenge. To be perfectly honest, before that I had rarely ever set my eyes in 'Be The Booker'. I knew that when I made 'WWE: Afterlife' or 'Being The Booker - TheGreatOne08' as it was then called it was going to be a challenge. Firstly to write a full show every week and a PPV was going to be a challenge but then to get the readers and fans to respond was harder than writing. My thread never really got off until 3 weeks after me and #1 started booking.

Back then, six months ago was without a doubt, the best period of booking this Forum has ever seen. Let me enlighten you with the Threads that were on showcase;

WWE: Rise of Glory - Grendrill + Rage
New Generation Wrestling - JarMac
Being the booker - Wolf Beast
WWE: Rebirth - Wolf Beast + Red Cold
New Raw and Smackdown - orton17 + Highlight Reel
A-Dust's WWE - A-Dust
ADEngstrom and his many threads....
And there are many others, WE Champ, Main Event etc

These Threads were just the beginning, I would look forward to at least twice a week reading these threads and it was brilliant, it was these guys that kept me wanting to book, to strive to be something that I knew I could be...

But since then...how many of these threads are active?

WWE: Rise of Glory - Grendrill + The_Showstopper
New Generation Wrestling - JarMac
Being the booker - Wolf Beast
WWE: Rebirth - Wolf Beast + Red Cold
New Raw and Smackdown - orton17 + Highlight Reel
A-Dust's WWE - A-Dust
ADEngstrom and his many threads....
And there are many others, WE Champ, Main Event etc

Does that suprise me? Yes, I understand school etc, hey even I've got school and social responsibilities that I have to worry about but this is something that ever since July has been very close to my heart.

Now you probably will say, OK, I don't really give a fuck, so what?

But think about it, the way Be The Booker is going it will end soon. Now I don't want to criticise any of these new threads coming out but if any of them last past 10 pages then....then my hat goes off to them but just skim past the pages, look around and see these people want to become the new Bookers of the future and they need the dedication and will to carry on.

Now I don't know what to do to resolve this matter, I was thinking about another BTB Tournament maybe to try and establish some new stars but I know what will happen, either:

a) People will not post
b) People wont get their stuff on time
c) Not many people will do it

So that's pretty much ruled out.

Now why am I saying this now?

Reason being even now I am starting to lose my passion for Booking. I will not quit, I'm not a quitter but over the past month or two I have come very close to it.

Also, I'm also very annoyed at the ''Show's good, 10/10'' or 'Crap ending 7/10''. People spend hours upon hours and they deserve some sort of productive input.

Anyway that's enough from me, I just thought I had to say it, reply if you guys need, it would be interesting to hear especially what the 'top dogs' have to say (WB, Grendrill) also from people who stopped, and from the 'new generation'.

Remember guys, we are a select community, a minority amongst Wrestling-Edge Forums, let's keep it like that, but let's do something that will make us stand out like six months ago, back then we were on fire

That's all I'll say, opinions are welcomed and encouraged and I'll see if I can post my opinions on them...

·
Chopped Liver
5,553 Posts
I'm glad you posted this Showstopper, as I myself am getting a little worried about the ever decreasing state of BTB. It seems threads are dropping every week, but lets hope that with the holidays coming along, we get a new batch of writers, that will end up staying around for the long haul, and not just as "something to do while I'm off".

The main 'beef' I have with BTB ATM is a point you touched on in your post, and that is the replies, or the lack there of. Folks, replies such as "Brilliant stuff, 9/10" doesnt help shit. What was brilliant?? Why does the show merit 9/10, and not 10/10?? Hell, you may aswell write, "I actually couldnt be bothered reading the show, but I'll leave this reply anyway". Replies are arguably more important than the shows, because without replies, the shows may aswell not happen.

In the last few months, I have really not viewed too many threads, because I dont see the point. What exactly is the point in me rating a show, when its likely that within a month (and thats being kind), the thread wont exist. Normally now, I'll wait around, and see how long a thread is going before I bother to reply to their show, normally 5-6 pages, and then I'll realise that perhaps this one might last.

How can these problems be resolved currently developing in BTB?? I have no idea.

Maybe the more experienced bookers around here (Grendrill, A-Dust, Showstopper, Juvy, and myself included) should try to hand out more encouragement to new bookers to help them along??

Maybe the main core of bookers (the ones who have been around over 6-8 months) could get together on AIM or MSN to discuss this?? A BTB Tourney wouldnt really work IMO, but I'm sure if we all think hard enough, something will click, and someone will come up with an idea of how to get BTB out of this hole...

Lets hope every "active" booker takes note of this thread, and decides to leave their thoughts....

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'm trying to make my thread good enough to be considered and I'm already up to five pages. I hope to reach a lot more than ten.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree I don't post as much as every one else but I enjoy writing but I am really not inspired because no one replys to my thread then it gets harder and harder to be inspired to write.And if my shows are not good I want ot now what to improve on.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
I have been through 3 BTB and the first 2 didn't work b/c nobody replied to them. However I still hardly get any replies to my shows still but that doesn't stop me. I have come to realize that replies aren't everything. You book for the fun of it, to give people something to read. What matters to me really is at the end of the month do people vote for me to wina n award. I am very happy with my thread right now and i am pretty sure people veiw it even if they don't reply. I mean my thread(EWF) has over 600 veiws and has only been up a little over a month now.

WolfBeast, The_Showstopper great bookers but you have to look to the future here, Finekilla, one of the most, if not the most dedicated bookers on tbhe forums and I am always amazed at how good his shows are. Goodjob another great young booker does some great shows, i would like to call myself a newbie to booking seeing as though combined in 3 threads i have only written 9 shows and no PPV's. Now right now i look at a select few threads(Be The Booker, WWE-Evoloved for example) and I see some great writing.

Now I understand that most of the great writers from 6 months ago are gone and I think that is because all tjhe newbies are coming in and making new threads that only last 3 shows and then they disappear and they think to themselves "why am i doing this? All these new people come in here open up a new thread want people to rate their shows and when nobody does they disappear." People have to realize that not everybody is going to reply your thread but most of us do read them. right now i read most shows but don't bother replying to them basically because I don't see the point really.

And then you have people asking you to reply to their show through your thread, That right there makes me just completely not look at there show because I find it very rude for people to do that. People will look at you show if they see something in it. Keep writing for a while and then you will start having people reply to your show not right away. Give people a chance to see what you are all about. If you ask people to rate yourt shows right away, chances are it won't happen. I find that the most annonying thing when I view a thread is at the end when it says "please rate my show". because people will rate your show if they want to not if you ask them to. And then if nobody does reply then they ask "why doesn't anybody rate my show" or they say "if nobody replied to this i am not writing anymore" and that right there makes me laugh and then not reply.

They have to realize that the older bookers went throught the same thing when they started to book, nobody replying to their threads right away but as you go on more people will reply to them and you will have a reason to keep going. So all you newbie bookers out there don't worry if nobody replies right away stick it out and do the best that you can do and in a while more people will leave messages for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just started visiting these boards and are enjoying them immensely. Once I get up to date, I'll definitely try to give productive feedback

·
Banned
3,331 Posts
I can see what you are saying, but I in no way have left. I just took a long break and finally will be able to come back this Monday..I will have no school the next week and a half starting christmas eve so I can put more time in.

·
Chopped Liver
5,553 Posts
AllCanadian66 said:
right now i read most shows but don't bother replying to them basically because I don't see the point really.
**Stands up to applaud**

Well, obviously this is a good idea, isnt it?? Why doesnt everybody just read each others shows, but NOT, repeat NOT reply. This way, we DONT know what is right or wrong with the shows, but can keep going anyway.

(Hopefully you detect the sarcasm there)

Seriously, this is just a backward way of working pal. Why even bother to read the shows, if you arent going to bother your ass replying to them. Who does it help?? Oh, thats right, no one....

If this is the way that the "new" bookers work around here, then I guess I'll not be sticking around too much longer...

On another note, I agree with one point you made, which was about people asking you in their replies to view their shows. That pisses me off, as it basically says, "Hey, couldnt be bothered reading your show, but read mine, thanks". But as for the rest of your post, I'm sorry, but I couldnt disagree more...

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Not all of the "new" bookers operate this way. Even though I am on a decent seasoned account I am only a newbie. My bro started to read through the threads after he entered that Idol thing and said he learned a lot. I just read ROG and your thread is next Wold Beast.

I plan on sticking along for the long run, keeping up with everyone's shows and try to write a successful show. Stick around for a bit longer Wolfy because I feel we shall come out of this horrible pit soon!

·
What's up, vanilla face?
2,795 Posts
I'm hoping to get my BTB to the five-page mark soon. There are plenty of new good Bookers its just they aren't given the chance or do not have enough experience. You shouldn't not read a show just because it doesn't have five pages.

·
WF BTB Hall of Famer
2,519 Posts
Well well well, this has bout up alot of talk hasn't it.....

This has bought a new light upon BTB, I can see all your points, namely Wolfy, as I relate to him best. I have noticed the downfall in BTB and I've mentioned it to a couple of you over the past month or so.

I know there are many dedicated bookers out there that are loosing thier passion, although I am not one of them, I never quit. But I know some of you feel you should and will, which is what the problem is around the forums.

A few months ago I showed support for every new show that came along, kept up with all the storylines but then when I saw all the threads dying and I lost faith, so now I read only a few shows because there is no point.

I respect guys like All_Canadian66 and thegame2432 who are staying true, it's all good to have new blood comming in, take WWE as an example, it's all good to bring in all the new guys like Hassan and Luther (All_Canadian66 and HBK nWo33) and the mid carders like Christian and Edge (The_Showstopper and Orton17) but we still need the guys to made BTB, like Rock, Angle and Austin (Myself, Wolf Beast and Mr Benjamin).

I mean there were a few people that I really enjoyed reading thier shows, but their gone now, people like faru, Lita is the Best (ACD, Ali as some might know her), Rage, Mr. Benjamin, Zeduck, Rojer, pcwcubs...... All the old veterans that know how it works, give replies, and gives it thier all into the show and doesn't quit, somce of whom that inspired me (last two). I'm not saying that the 'new blood' doesn't give it thier all, it's just that they quit too easily.

Wolf Beast and I came through it before, and and big boom time followed and it bought around a whole new people; Showstopper, JarMac and Orton17 among others. It's just unfortunate that we're going though it again.....

PS. It was a year ago that BTB had it's last down time for useless information...

·
Banned
508 Posts
Era of Greatness is almost a 10 page thread and stilll none of the expierienced bookers reply anymore, i mean i work my ass off on SD and I know thegame2432 works just as hard on raw.................

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have to agree with my partner Evolutionrko on this one. I mean him and I love booking and making up storylines and all of that which goes into making a successful show. We try to do everything to surprise our readers and all of that and still we only have about two or maybe three guys who are loyal and read whenever a new show is posted and they reply on it. And then every now and then some other guys will pop in and say oh you guys are good keep up the good work then never reply to it again. That's why we stopped writing our show for a while and tried something else but we found our way back to Era of Greatness because we thought that it could be a good show and people would like it.

Basically what I am saying is that it seems that most people only happen to read a thread if it is made by a big name person like Grendrill Wolf Beast Jarmac Orton17 and others. Now I'm not disrespecting these men in any way I have nothing but the upmost respect for all of them but what i am saying is how come people won't read a thread by someone who isn't as big of a name as Grendrill or someone? Because i read some of the threads written by some people not as well known and pretty much all of them are excellent and deserves more feedback.

A perfect example of people not replying when a lot of "unknown" bookers threads is in me and Evolutionrko's thread. We worked so hard building up and then writing Survivor Series. I mean we planned this out so far in advance and had everything set then wrote the show and thought wow this ppv really was something good and we weren't just saying that because it was ours we really thought a lot of people would of been impressed with it. But we were completely wrong and didn't even get one God Damned reply. That's why we stepped away from that thread for a little because when you work your ass off on a high profile ppv like that and then not get a single reply to that you just figure well whats the point as obviously no one likes it. That is why a lot of threads die because a majority of "big named" writers won't read the "little Guy's" threads. I think that all of the "big name guys" should take some of these "little guys" under their wing and help them out. I am not directing this at any certain person because I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Wolf Beast and Grendrill helping me out from the start of booking. All i am saying is check out some of the lesser known guys threads and reply because i gurantee that will lead to more successful threads.

So my solution is that if people read more threads by lesser known people then this Be the Booker will get back to what it used to be when i first joined and there will be a lot more big named shows.

But hey that's just my solution and by looking at me and my partners thread only about 2 people seem to care about what i have to say.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Man i rmember about six months ago i used to book under the name Goldberg0069. I loved but as i kept on going more and more threads jus kept on opening and opening. There were a lot of pointless threads going up when it was the Taboo tuesday period. A lot of bookers just kept on opening up threads for each match instead of posting them in just one thread. Hopefully this suituation will calm itself down and get back to normal

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I have an idea to inspire and create new and dedicated bookers. We could run a booking camp where the veterans like Grendrill or Wolfy help answer some of our questions on how to run a good show when they have time. This could be very productive and help inspire people to keep writing. For example, I may not know how to write a PPV but I have one coming up soon. Instead of writing a crap PPV I might want to quit (not that I ever would). A vet like Grendrill could help me out or something and I would be really happy with the result more than likely.

Either that or a veteran booker takes a new booker as an Apprentice or squire and shows them the way how to book and get the result you want.

These are just ideas but I think they sound really good!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have another suggestion to this problem a slightly different one to wall jons, but i believe that both could work well, if the bookers are having a tough time coming up with ideas for storylines and angles and gimmicks, then im sure there are other people like me out there wanting to make their own thread (i should know im one of them) but just dont have the commitment or time to do so (commitments my problem). But what I would'nt mind doing is to contribute ideas to a booker (only one booker to aviod problems).
The reason I would'nt mind this is because, I have no experience at booking and I like to take pride in my ideas, but I just dont know which ones will work. (See I'm like a Vince Russo who has good and bad ideas, but I need a Vince McMahon to let only the good ones through.) By doing this I believe that it will provide these contributors with experience and later on, the confidence and commitment (which they have been able to prove to themselves by being commited as a contibutor to thier booker.) to make their own their own threads.
Of course I suspect I'm not the only person out there with the same problem.

·
Registered
756 Posts
The_Showstopper said:
IAlso, I'm also very annoyed at the ''Show's good, 10/10'' or 'Crap ending 7/10''. People spend hours upon hours and they deserve some sort of productive input.
At least you get replys damn when I did a few shows with 2004kingpin and at once on my own I got 2 replys at the most and your right it takes a long time to do I did it because I thought it would be fun to write and see the criticism,comments, etc from other people but no one would ever reply to my shows so I said fuck it and quit so you should just be lucky and happy to get replys like that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts