Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like ever since Payback when Punk returned in June. A lot of the general IWC.. About a good 20% seems to have either turned on him, or started to voice displeasure? Why? Now, don't get me wrong, Punk's work since returning has been a bit mediocre at times, but I personally loved some of the stuff he's done since returning. I think his match with Lesnar at Summerslam was one of the best matches this year... HOWEVER with that said, the people who "turned on him" are saying that he was never good. So what I'm trying to figure out is, what spawned all this sudden hate?

·
FOURTEEN TIMES, THE GAME
6,805 Posts
I don't think there's that much hate on him in general, besides from the usual suspects around here. The Payback match wasn't great, but he had a MOTYC with Brock at Summerslam. Then he's been in this silly Heyman feud, which isn't his fault. And he's with Axel and Ryback, two green workers.

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
Well I been noticed alot of hate on Daniel Bryan now, its just typical IWC stuff, most people will love the guy who doesnt get much attention then when he gets attention people will hate him.

·
From parts unknown
23,274 Posts
It's not "hate" when people say stuff like he's lost a step, or that he hasn't been as great this year. It's a fairly objective assessment that his in-ring presence and overall stature is on a decline partly because he's working injured and is currently in a program that's suffered because of Lesnar's unavailability.

He's also not a very good as a face on the mic and that was blatantly obvious on this Raw where you could tell even he knew he was struggling. He looked pretty surprised when he went for the CM Punk chants and barely got a response. In the end resorting to jumping into the crowd for some sort of reaction.

That said, two of his matches are regularly touted as match of the year across the IWC which is more than what can be said about anyone on the roster at this point.

·
Banned
4,010 Posts
Because other that the Lesnar match itself Punk has been half assing his way through almost every RAW due to boredom or injury. Pointing that fact out does not always have to equal hate.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
The more people realize how overrated he is, the better. I "turned" on him early 2012 when the smoke finally cleared in the aftermath of his push and realized he's nowhere near as good as his marks make him out to be.

·
I'm too busy, faded in Japan with the crew
10,398 Posts
He is midcard right now.

Patience is virtue in the WWE.

He will get another solid run before early retirement. His best run yet... is still to come. I have faith in Punk and WWE Creative.

·
Banned
6,752 Posts
I think several people just hate him as a face. I know I do, not that he isn't good at playing a rebellious, anti-establishment kind of face (he's no Austin, of course, but who is), but he's much better at playing an asshole and/or a "I think I'm better than you" kind of individual, probably because it's closer to his real-life personality. But their hand was kind of forced considering he was getting mega face reactions as a heel, including having his name chanted in equal part alongside The Rock and Undertaker's.

Also, as mentioned,a good chunk of the IWC just have some innate part in them to hate someone or something that gets popular, even if it's someone or something they like. Hell, people clamored for years to see CM Punk get pushed, and yet when he finally received a push in 2011/2012, several of those same people shit all over him as a boring champion and an overrated wrestler. Not saying there isn't validity to their opinions, but the IWC has always had a habit of behaving this way. Many are doing it with Daniel Bryan as well. Wouldn't be surprised to see it happen with Dolph Ziggler too, in the event that he got a huge push to a top spot.

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
It's typical iwc, guy gets big, the hate comes.

·
Registered
8,560 Posts
IWC is quite splintered as of late, actually makes things interesting in terms of opinion (as long as people aren't outright trolling)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts