Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On September 2, 2002, the General Manager of WWE RAW, Eric Bischoff activated the World Heavyweight Championship.

Bischoff felt at that time that the solution to the problem of then WWE Undisputed Champion Brock Lesnar refusing to defend the title on both RAW and SmackDown was having a new world title to be defended on RAW.

Ten years have passed, and the World Heavyweight Championship has gained a tremendous amount of prestige since its activation on that fateful September day. It has been held by some of the greatest superstars in professional wrestling history such as The Undertaker, Triple H, Shawn Michaels and so on.

But one question remains after all this time: Where does the World Heavyweight Championship stand after 10 years in the WWE? Most wrestling fans and members of the Internet wrestling community are of the consensus that the World Heavyweight Championship still holds value, and still has its place in the WWE.

But others feel that it is a menial title that will always play second fiddle to the more prestigious WWE Championship. The latter of those wrestling fans seem to be more on point than the former with their thinking.

The World Heavyweight Championship will always be known as the secondary title in the WWE, no matter who has or who will hold it.

Upon its activation, its sole purpose was to be a brand exclusive world title. Even though there are still two separate brands, they are no longer exclusive, and WWE superstars from SmackDown can compete on RAW.

So an argument can be made that these SmackDown superstars can vie for the WWE Championship, a title that has been active for close to 50 years, and is the top title in professional wrestling, which makes the World Heavyweight Championship the lesser title.

Even though the World Heavyweight Championship is not a re-activation of the WCW World Heavyweight Title, there are some wrestling fans that do not differentiate between the two title belts.

When Eric Bischoff wanted to create a “new” title, he should have activated a title with a whole new design, if he truly wanted it to be a competitor to the WWE Undisputed Championship.

Because the World Heavyweight Championship reminds so many fans of the WCW World Heavyweight Title, a title from a defunct promotion, therein lies another reason the World Heavyweight Championship will never be on the same level as the WWE Championship.

Many wrestling fans have been wondering if a unification match between the WWE Championship and the World Heavyweight Championship would eventually come to pass.

This could be the best thing for the World Heavyweight Championship. Many defunct WWE Championships, such as the WWE European Championship, the WCW World Heavyweight Championship and others, have been unified for various reasons.

Not only would a unification match be good for business in the WWE, it would be a proper closing chapter for a title that has gained an iconic lineage.

Whatever the future holds for the World Heavyweight Championship in the WWE, wrestling fans should come to the realization that this title is yet another rung in the ladder of the WWE Championship. It should be either decommissioned or unified to preserve its short, but prestigious history.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
It would be utter, utter garbage if it wasn't for the fact it's such a beautiful title belt. WWE doesn't care about it anymore and it's so far behind the WWE title in their eyes. Which is a huge shame. Don't know how I'd feel about a unification, I think I'd be up for it as long as the actual WWE championship belt is changed at the end and isn't still the spinner belt.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Well for the first 5 years it was equivelent to the wwe title, people like triple h cena edge undertaker e.t.c all held it, the belt was even on raw in its early stages. However right now it is clearly the 2nd belt in the wwe.

Hell the title bout has opened the show twice at wrestlemania.

·
#63notout
4,196 Posts
The World Heavyweight Championship was at its peak when Triple H was wearing it, and from that the World Heavyweight Champion best era was in the mid-early 2000s.

The Late 2000s to now the WHC has a being a huge joke of a title, where back in the day the WHC title had many unforgettable title matches like the Elimination Chamber where Shawn Michaels won the belt. The Wrestlemania 20 Main event between HBK, Trips and Benoit. But that was then, this is now. Champions now jobbing under a minute (looking at you D-BRY), opening the show aswell when it used to Main Event. I think with the shrinking roster they should now be thinking of a title merge in the coming future.

Just thought I'd add this video in that I found on youtube of the history of the WHC title, quite interesting

·
Banned
6,531 Posts
The wwe is clearly missplacing the title on the shows and on the ppv's

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Even though the World Heavyweight Championship is not a re-activation of the WCW World Heavyweight Title, there are some wrestling fans that do not differentiate between the two title belts.
http://www.wwe.com/classics/titlehistory/wcwchampionship

The World Heavyweight Championship that has recently been carried by such greats as Batista and Triple H got its start in WWE back in 2002. But its prestigious lineage can actually be traced back all the way to George Hackenschmidt and 1904. For years, it was known as the NWA Championship; then when WCW pulled out of the NWA in the early 1990s, Ric Flair was recognized as the first-ever WCW Champion. Since that time, top names such as Hulk Hogan, Ron Simmons and Bret Hart carried the championship prior to WCW's demise.

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,300 Posts
Its trash. It is the curtain jerker title. When WrestleMania happens that match is in the first 2 hours and is always like the 4th or 5th most important thing happening. It is even less valuable than a decent IC reign was about 10 or 15 years ago.

Anybody can win it at any time. It was hot potatoed mercilessly since the inception of brand split Royal Rumbles and Money in the Bank. Edge won WHC titles every time he squinted. If it ain't the WWE belt, it ain't shit, and even the WWE belt doesn't seem to mean much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Its second rate, kind of intercontinental title like (in the days back when that title meant something).
But then again i think all titles suffered the last years.
Intercontinental and US championships are utterly worthless, the tag team champions are only slightly above the diva champion and the wwe title starts to get cracks too since all feuds it was involved in during the last year were overshadowed by cena/rock and end of an era till this mania, and now brock/cena gets more attention too.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Heavywheight Championship is definitely lower than WWE Championship as of now.
I thought it was as good as WWE Championship when Triple H was holding it.

·
Registered
14,605 Posts
As of late it's been mis-used by the WWE. Instead of making the World Champion look like a strong guy and a #1 or #2 guy in the company they're making him look poor (Ala Bryan losing it in less than 20 seconds at Wrestlemania).

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I think the title from 2002-2004 was perfect. Triple H defended it against RVD, Kane, HBK winning it in a six-man EC match gave it a nice bump, and like it or not, HHH's 9-month title reign added some serious cred, helped by losing it to Goldberg.

I think where the title went downhill was Orton in '04. It was too soon, he lost it back to HHH a month later (again), and when the title was vacated, HHH won it back again.

Batista's title reign helped restore a lot of that, for most of 2005. I wasn't a fan of Mysterio holding the belt (given its name), but I understood that it was a tribute run, and it was all leading to Booker/Batista, then Batista/UT.

I had no problem with Khali carrying it, and I marked hard when Batista won it back in late '07 and then defended against Khali and UT.

The title was prestigious to me until Jack Swagger. He was jobbing for months before, won MITB, cashed in, got pinned by Randy Orton, Undertaker, Big Show, before he lost it to Mysterio, who was obviously a transitional champion, who lost to Kane. I love Kane, and I think he deserved another run and it was awesome to see, but by that point, SD's roster was paper thin, and it was to set up that Kane/UT feud. By the time 2011 rolled around, I had accepted the title as secondary, opening up the '11 RR, WM, being tossed around between Christian and Orton, and even though it was cool to see Henry win it and carry for a few months, it's place was sealed at WM 28.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
just because the past couple of years wwe cant book shit doesnt mean the title has failed. when the title is on raw it gets over but on samckdown it gets handed to the next guy they want to make him into a star.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
It should be the equal of the WWE Championship like it used to be. It felt huge with Undertaker, Edge, Angle, Batista held it. Now it needs a rebuild. I have enjoyed some monster heel reigns with the championship (Kane, Henry). I also liked Swagger's title reign. Yet they devalue the belt with so many people getting the belt passed around. The title feud between Edge and Ziggler was a disgrace and how it devalued the belt big time. Hopefully Sheamus can help revive it with a good, strong run.

It should main event PPV's just like the WWE title does. Like it used to. It should not be opening PPV's, especially no Wrestlemania. The WHC is feeling like the ECW Championship in its dying days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts