Wrestling Forum banner

Where does Orton land in your unbiased list of all-time wrestlers?

• Top 3

• Top 5

• Top 10

• Top 25

• Top 50

• Other

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
There's only one of me
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question: where does Randy Orton rank in your unbiased all-time list? He has the legendary finisher, the pose, the look, personality, wrestling ability, and the mic skills. Plus, he can work the crowd as a face or a heel, doesn't matter. Accolades? He's a 14-time world champ, and has many other titles tied to his name.

Personally, he's likely going to be in my top 10 when he retires. If we were talking favorites, I'd have him in my five.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I really do think he's all around great, he can talk on the mic, has a great look, good in the ring, and is charismatic. But with that being said, I feel like we should have gotten more out of him with how talented he is. I voted top 25 because he is going to go down as one of the greats, but he'll never make a top 10 because when you're putting him up against people like HBK, Eddie, Angle, HHH, Rock, SCSA, etc. They have provided sooooooooo many more entertaining moments. Also, you do have to remember he's been around for almost 20 years, so he's had so much time to entertain us, and provide us with classic moments. Honestly, he peaked in the first few years of his career. From the cocky young member of Evolution, to the Legend killer, and then the Viper/Apex Predator shit which is his worst gimmick, yet it's the one he's ran with for about 11 years straight. So, yeah, I love the guy, and he's a favourite of mine, but he should have done more and pushed himself into the mount rushmore of wrestling debate.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
I'm biased because I'm an Orton fan boy. Objectively he is probably in the top 25 but I do think it's possible for him to end his career in top 10.

Especially as Orton said on Broken Skull Sessions he thinks he has another 5-10 years left.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Top 10 for me.

Hogan, Austin, Rock, Cena, HHH, Taker,HBK, Flair , Lesnar and Orton are my top 10 all time.

Orton ties #10 with Edge but I give him the rub due to his longevity and overall more consistency in the main event

·
Cutting a Shoot Promo To Get Over
6,081 Posts
I voted top 25. I wouldn't argue if you said top 10, but I think he just misses out for me. All things considered, he's definitely in the top 3 or 4 to debut in the past 20 years. I think only Cena surpasses him outright, and then it's down to personal taste whether you go with someone like Brock (for the athleticism and aura), Batista (for the intensity and FOTC potential), Punk (on the mic) or Bryan (in-ring) etc. The great thing about Orton is he's an all-rounder and good in every department. Plus he has the longevity others lack.

The more I talk the closer I am to moving him to top 10!

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Of my all time - Top 30 to top 50.

Mostly that was due to his tendency mail it in if he wasn't in a program he enjoyed.

That being said, the past few years he's been on top of his game and easily in the top 20 for that time period.

·
Registered
FaithOfWrestling
128 Posts
My mind is saying somewhere in the Top 30. He’s boring asf to me nowadays, but I like the younger version of him. ( In the 00’s )

·
Registered
919 Posts
These discussions never make sense to me. Are we talking wwe post 1980 like most people are basing the goat lists on. Are we adding other companies and more importantly countries to this discussion? Are we going back as far to include the likes of buddy rogers, gorgeous george and lou thesz? Or even longer back to include great european wrestlers such as Jim Londos who sold out huge arenas for decades on his name alone.

Yeah you can say Orton is in your top 10 if all you know is wwf post austin era. I wouldnt rate Orton that high. Kayfabe is one thing. Mcmahon could select any young, good looking guy with talent and have him be a maineventer for 20 years. Orton isnt a difference maker.

He would never have a tv shop put pictures of him as advertisement so that people would buy tvs so they could watch him such as gorgeous george.
The uk wrestler Big Daddy was so populair the freaking queen said she was a fan of his. Him and Giant haystacks drew 18 milion viewers for their match and regularly drew over 10. Numbers Orton could only dream of despite being in the biggest company of all time.

Thats the difference between greats. Differencemakers and guys like Orton. Mcgregor came in and set the ufc on fire. Breaking all records. Thats a great. Orton is just there and if he leaves numbers wont go down.

So to answer your question. All time and not past 20 years of wwe, I dont know but I could name 100 wrestlers I think have had a bigger impact on the industry. Maybe 100-200 is where id place Orton. Top 10 is laughable.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Simple question: where does Randy Orton rank in your unbiased all-time list? He has the legendary finisher, the pose, the look, personality, wrestling ability, and the mic skills. Plus, he can work the crowd as a face or a heel, doesn't matter. Accolades? He's a 14-time world champ, and has many other titles tied to his name.

Personally, he's likely going to be in my top 10 when he retires. If we were talking favorites, I'd have him in my five.
I think Orton is one of the most boring , bland and overrated wrestlers in history. The whole Viper gimmick is super cringe top to bottom and just consists of him constantly brooding like a bad ass in a very contrived way. The slow boring walk to the ring, over done intense stares just so boring, slow drawn out promos, and I still laugh every time he enters the ring and does that gay Shawn Michaels type pose, which has no relation to a bad ass killer character, its unbelievable he has not realized that yet. At least he finally stopped hissing like a viper. The whole gimmick got stale a decade ago, literally the same thing yet apparently hes so awesome and cool?

Funny thing is, when he started as the legend killer he actually showed charisma, and was entertaining, until he became the boring viper and they removed all his personality. Such a waste. I can't believe they have never tried to even change up the character a bit, hes been around for an eternity now doing the same thing. He is a top 100 type wrestler nothing more.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
These discussions never make sense to me. Are we talking wwe post 1980 like most people are basing the goat lists on. Are we adding other companies and more importantly countries to this discussion? Are we going back as far to include the likes of buddy rogers, gorgeous george and lou thesz? Or even longer back to include great european wrestlers such as Jim Londos who sold out huge arenas for decades on his name alone.

Yeah you can say Orton is in your top 10 if all you know is wwf post austin era. I wouldnt rate Orton that high. Kayfabe is one thing. Mcmahon could select any young, good looking guy with talent and have him be a maineventer for 20 years. Orton isnt a difference maker.

He would never have a tv shop put pictures of him as advertisement so that people would buy tvs so they could watch him such as gorgeous george.
The uk wrestler Big Daddy was so populair the freaking queen said she was a fan of his. Him and Giant haystacks drew 18 milion viewers for their match and regularly drew over 10. Numbers Orton could only dream of despite being in the biggest company of all time.

Thats the difference between greats. Differencemakers and guys like Orton. Mcgregor came in and set the ufc on fire. Breaking all records. Thats a great. Orton is just there and if he leaves numbers wont go down.

So to answer your question. All time and not past 20 years of wwe, I dont know but I could name 100 wrestlers I think have had a bigger impact on the industry. Maybe 100-200 is where id place Orton. Top 10 is laughable.
Wish I could like this post twice.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Last time somebody asked this question I got into a fight because somebody said the wrestlers from the 1800s deserve to be in the top 10. I just voted top 25

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Big Orton fan but honestly judging him I'd put him in the same class as a Ric Rude. A very memorable wrestler from his era but not someone who broke into elite category. WrestleMania era that likely puts him between 25-40.

I know Orton was champ/ WM main event and Rude wasn't but different eras.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
If I was making a list of greatest ever wrestlers it wouldn't go down that far. Probably top 50, maybe top 25, but I can't be bothered to work it out. He's a good all-rounder and he's had a good year, but he's never really hit that elite level you need to be in the top 10 conversation.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Top 10, he always felt like he was going to be a huge star, but it didn't feel like he reached his potential, he's great now but feels like he's on the back end of his career.

·
There's only one of me
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I've been watching wrestling since the late 80's. These discussions always turn sour when someone starts saying the oldest wrestlers are as good as the newer talent. Yes, maybe some from the 80's and 90's (Flair, Savage for example), but just log off if we're talking about Bruno, because none of us could sit through those matches and say that we actually enjoy them. Look at what and who we criticize today...and yet, you're going to tell me that 60's wrestlers were exceptional at what they did?

Gorgeous George had an impact on the business, but nothing like Hogan, who was actually incredible on the mic. Bruno obviously had an impact on the business, but was he really a better wrestler and talker than HBK?

Bill Russell has 11 championships with a loaded Celtics team that played 8-10 other teams in the league (that's all they had). He averaged 15 or so PPG, but was a monster on defense...like Ben Wallace, but a decent scorer (Ben was more Rodman scoring the ball). Is he really a top 10 of all-time?

And all of this is coming from me having an opinion. My take on it all.

So, we all have opinions. Nobody is going to get a top 10 correct because there isn't one. Why not just discuss our opinions without acting like you don't have one, or that yours is the only one that matters? That's why I asked if Orton is in YOUR top 10, not in THE top 10...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts