Votes: 14 12.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Won championchips in Roh,Tna,New japan and wwe. The 4 biggest organisations of this generation. Face of tna when tna was at its peak. One of very few gaijins to become iwgp champion.

Had one of the best first years in wwe history.

I would place him in the top 30. Might do down to top 15 once its all said and done. Next to Cena he,s the greatest wrestler of the past 15 years.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Below guys like Benoit, Eddie, Angle, and Jericho; and just a small shade below guys like Edge and CM Punk. I'd probably put AJ Styles on the same standing as RVD.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
In ring I will go far and say top 3 or atleast top 5 and the fact that the biggest dream match at the moment is him vs Shawn Michaels says alot.

Overall I will say 15-25 like somebody here said.

I don't know if he would be treated the same but imagine him coming 10 years earlier in the WWE.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Not even in the top 100. Maybe 500 at a stretch.

Kofi, Miz, The Hurricane, Dolph, Test, Farooq, Lashley, Eugene, so many more are higher than him. Even the likes of Disco Inferno and Tommy Dreamer.
They've made more money and have more of a name to the non-wrasslin demo. They're all bigger names than him and accomplished more. NOTHING outside WWE matters. Understand that.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
In ring I will go far and say top 3 or atleast top 5 and the fact that the biggest dream match at the moment is him vs Shawn Michaels says alot.

I don't if he would be treated the same but imagine him coming 10 years earlier in the WWE.
would have been lost in the shuffle pal, aj didn't become truly great until he left tna imo

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Unfortunately for AJ, the "best all time" really comes down to WWE and WCW wrestlers, just because of how insanely popular those promotions were/are. No need to talk about ROH/TNA/NJPW/etc, they are legit promotions, just not on the same level. It's like hockey. Can a Russian hockey league player really crack the best all time list if they never played in the NHL? Not really, but they might place somewhere. As such, I voted top 20. From an in ring ability standpoint, he's great. And when they let him be a fun heel, he's wildly entertaining. It's too bad it took so long to get to WWE, because he would of been on the uppercard for years dazzling crowds.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I don't know if he would be treated the same but imagine him coming 10 years earlier in the WWE.
Unfortunately for AJ, the "best all time" really comes down to WWE and WCW wrestlers, just because of how insanely popular those promotions were/are. No need to talk about ROH/TNA/NJPW/etc, they are legit promotions, just not on the same level. It's like hockey. Can a Russian hockey league player really crack the best all time list if they never played in the NHL? Not really, but they might place somewhere. As such, I voted top 20. From an in ring ability standpoint, he's great. And when they let him be a fun heel, he's wildly entertaining. It's too bad it took so long to get to WWE, because he would of been on the uppercard for years dazzling crowds.

Styles came to the wwe at the perfect stage in his career. For one he didnt become a true bonafide star until he went to new japan. He was great before dont get me wrong but it wasnt until he got to new japan his perception changed and he started being regarded as the best wrestler in the world.

Secondly wwe didnt really push guys like him 5,6,7 years ago. He would be Evan Bourne if he was signed in 2008

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Below guys like Benoit, Eddie, Angle, and Jericho; and just a small shade below guys like Edge and CM Punk. I'd probably put AJ Styles on the same standing as RVD.
This is where things get muddy.. The Mount Rushmore is more or less predetermined and agreed on, but below that, personal preferences starts to kick in.
My opinion; Styles is below Angle and Jericho, but at par with Eddie, Benoit and RVD.. Maybe slightly above Edge -And WAY above Punk.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
This is where things get muddy.. The Mount Rushmore is more or less predetermined and agreed on, but below that, personal preferences starts to kick in.
My opinion; Styles is below Angle and Jericho, but at par with Eddie, Benoit and RVD.. Maybe slightly above Edge -And WAY above Punk.
What about box-office appeal / main-stream attention? You say he's "slightly above Edge - And WAY above Punk" and on-par with Eddie and Benoit.

Yet Punk, Eddie, Benoit, and Edge (especially Edge) have headlined more events, sold more merchandise, and just generally put more butts in seats (or eyeballs on TV screens).

I understand that Styles is a great in-ring talent, but so are Lance Storm, Dean Malenko, and Al Snow.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts