Wrestling Forum banner

Where did WCW & WWE go wrong with Goldberg

5K views 29 replies 23 participants last post by  GillbergReturns 
Honestly I think more than anything it was just that the gimmick was very one dimensional and had no longevity. He got big by squashing undercard workers, if you let him do that to your big stars you're killing their credibility, and if you dont you're killing HIS credibility. He was just never going to be able to lose or wrestle competitive matches without looking bad, theres not much of a shelf life for a guy like that.
Yeah thats the thing, I think you should look at it the other way and give bischoff or whoever else at wcw helped book him by taking such a simple gimmick and making it so fucking big in the first place and tbf his run did go on for a while so it wasnt like he was only hot for a few months or anything. The way I think they coulda squeezed more longetivity out of it in wcw is if they'd had him lose his streak clean, that way whoever beats him gets a huge huge rub and they can build up to a big rematch and then have a third and a 4th and an epic rivalry.

I wasnt watching WWF when he was in it but Im a bit of goldberg mark so Ive watched a load of his wwf stuff on youtube and i think all his ppv matches there and one thing I dont get - when people on here say Goldberg was booked like shit and even 'buried' in the wwf - all I see is the usual Goldberg looking like a monster and only losing in heavily dirty finishes. Where does all that stuff come from? Is it just the usual nonsense HHH hate?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.