Wrestling Forum banner

Where did WCW & WWE go wrong with Goldberg

5K views 29 replies 23 participants last post by  GillbergReturns 
The Goldberg character could work anywhere. Problem is once the streak ends you don't have shit. Maybe you could turn it into a guy wanting to get his win back just like the UFC was booking Chuck Liddell.

Do some vintages of Goldberg brining in Freddie Roach, Lou Duva, and someone like Bruno Sammartino and have him go away to camp like Rocky did. But that would only work a few times.
Nah, Goldberg was still over after the streak, turning him heel is what did him in. Fans still cheered for the guy even after he lost to Nash, after all, they can just give him a new win streak at that point. A big problem with the whole Goldberg angle in WCW is that many of the guy's he was supposed to feud with after he lost to Nash got injured, from what I've heard, he was pretty much supposed to spend the year taking out the NWO members one by one, which I think could've been interesting if it played out.

Turning Goldberg heel in WCW was where they went wrong. The Kevin Nash thing was a bad idea but I don't think it killed the gimmick, the guy was still getting monster pops, although I think it would've been better if his first loss was to someone like Sting.

As far as the WWF goes, I honestly could tell right off the bat it wasn't going to work. The roster just did not seem big enough, WCW on the flip side had an endless supply of jobbers for Goldberg, which was a good thing, because the fans loved seeing these guys get destroyed. The WWF just wasn't built the same way, the character was just bound to not work there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.