Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,792 Posts
It's a powerhouse right now, just not at the absolute forefront of popular culture the way it has been in the past.

But, in a way, it's a victim of its own success, because people tune in Monday nights and say, "Ah, yes, it's that old wrestling show again." It's so ingrained, it's difficult for it to boast the sizzle of past time periods.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Probably never because of MMA, specifically UFC.

When MMA rose in Japan it almost killed their wrestling business. It stills draws moderately but its never gained back the popularity it once had.

I feel we're in the same situation here in the States.

·
Registered
12,415 Posts
It's more of a powerhouse now than it was decades ago. Just not as much in the U.S.

·
Registered
12,415 Posts
Money wise probably, popularity and culturally driven wise, no. I think the OP was talking more in terms of popularity than corporate business wise.

Popularity-wise, yes. Just not in the U.S. The WWE markets more now internationally than any other era.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Your guess is as good as mine, I'd say at the rate they are going that within the next decade, because of the pg era wrestling will become more accepted in homes than it was before and as a result be a household name in the same way it was during the Hogan Era/Golden Era of the WWF/E. Their products will saturate American homes once again, and their superstars will be fixtures on the television. Technically because of population growth and inflation, they make more money now than ever and their bigger than ever. Still there aren't as many American homes watching per capita as there used to be.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Look at what the WWF was doing back around 1997-2001 when it became a powerhouse. At the start of this era, they were number 2 to WCW. Even when they got on top, they had stiff competition for ratings. WWE had to get creative in order to maintain position.

WWF was very 'of its time'. It tied in well with the grunge music scene and other popular movements at the time. Think DX's entrance music, (which sounds a lot like RATM), Undertaker's 'Rollin', Limp Bizkit etc. The visual effects were toned down, the arena looked much darker.

They also experimented more. Things like Brawl for All, having Ken Shamrock and acknowledging UFC, Hell in a Cell, TLC, getting Mike Tyson on.

They also had a very simple, common theme that tied into the youth scene, the idea of sticking it to the man. Vince McMahon vs Austin. DX doing whatever the hell he wanted, Undertaker stomping on whoever dared step into his yard.

WWE will return to being a powerhouse when it is able to recognise a cultural movement that it is able to exploit, or when it is able to create one behind the strength of one or a couple of their stars (Like Hogan and Austin).

By the way, i'm not saying WWE came up with all of these things. They stole a hell of a lot from ECW.

·
Registered
789 Posts
^
Cold Day in Hell where all matches were knockout/submission??? What the hell??

Oh, and Grunge scene was pretty much dead in 1997./1998.

·
Registered
253 Posts
^
Cold Day in Hell where all matches were knockout/submission??? What the hell??

Oh, and Grunge scene was pretty much dead in 1997./1998.
Yeah, but after grunge came post grunge, and the youth scene and feeling of rebellion continued.

I think i must be wrong about Cold Day in Hell. For some reason, i have a very vivid memory of this. It was maybe just a Shamrock match.

·
Wrestling is better while drinking
1,893 Posts
Probably never be as big culturally as it was in the past, but nothing really is. Our attention span as a nation keeps getting shorter and shorter it seems and there are more ways for things to be popular. Reality TV, Internet, Other cable shows, there is just a lot more varied competition for our attention right now than ever and it seems that trend is likely to continue.

WWE is doing just fine. They have a solid fan base and a huge revenue stream and have kept it up for over a decade after their supposed glory years. I would say they are a major power house in the entertainment industry.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Probably never because of MMA, specifically UFC.

When MMA rose in Japan it almost killed their wrestling business. It stills draws moderately but its never gained back the popularity it once had.

I feel we're in the same situation here in the States.
This^

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Aim to the teeneragers/young people (from 16 to 25).
Aiming to the kids give you more money, but all the kids want to do the things that their older brothers do and like what they like because they believe it's cooler.
Old people think the things that young people like may be stupid, but they try to know about them because they want to stay in touch of what's cool and what's not, so that they don't feel like old whacks.
Also, it gives you more exposeure all around the world. Everybody knows who those Jonas brothers or Hannah Montana are, why? Because it's aimed for teenagers.

Products for kids are only watched by kids (even people who watch cartoons don't admit it so that they don't look like tools) and the parents who can't say no to them.

Producs for youngsters are known by everybody in the house.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
I'd argue that WWE is more of a power house now, rather than 10 years ago because then there was still WCW fans who wouldn't watch WWE. Now as far as wrestling fans go, everyone is watching the WWE cos it's pretty much the only show in town.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The WWE may not be as significant in the US but they have become huge in many other places. Germany, UK (Europe in general). WWE is more international now, hence the many tours.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
wtf wwe is far more global than ever before they are known in just about every country and make a fucking killing overseas and as said they just fucking toured China, im pretty sure thats the definition of powerhouse

1 - 20 of 26 Posts