Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Won't shut up about Peyton Royce
17,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious, among the guys maybe Bryan back in 2012 and Orton when he turned against the Authority in 2015. Among the girls I think Naomi last year, but that's it. They really suck at creating babyfaces or at least keeping their momentum. When you compare the popularity of some of the most popular stars when they were heels (Sasha, AJ, New Day, Jericho) and now when they are faces they are just not as over. Is turning face the kiss of death of a popular superstar?

Reactions: Jonasolsson96

·
Banned
4,811 Posts
Heel->Face
- AJ Styles (organically)
- Naomi
- Breezango
- Brock Lesnar (tweener)
- Daniel Bryan
- AJ Lee
- Nikki Bella

Face-->Heel
- Usos
- New Day
- Charlotte
- Eva Marie
- Neville
- AJ Lee
- Paige

·
Baby Yoda
30,260 Posts
AJ's less over now as face, they simply don't know how to book faces.

Last person that comes to mind is Orton or Batista?

·
Is a Snit Head
22,310 Posts
Daniel Bryan is a good example as he went from a comedy act as a heel, to liked by the smark fans, to liked by all the fans.

But it rarely works well because the WWE is bad at making faces that are likable. It did work well with Ambrose as a singles guy because he really took off once Seth turned on the Shield and Ambrose had the chance to be a face in a singles feud.

But for the most part guys lose momentum when they get the face push because then their reactions stop being organic.

·
Banned
15,464 Posts
I'm sure there have been some smaller scale ones since then, but my mind actually went back to Batista in 2005. Daniel Bryan was more turned because he was popular. When he was put in the team with Kane, they were eventually positioned as faces against The Shield. But I guess Bryan's popularity did swell as a face.

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
16,533 Posts
I say Breezango is the most recent example. They've been getting more over and popular with the fans after their face turn as of right now.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm sure there have been some smaller scale ones since then, but my mind actually went back to Batista in 2005. Daniel Bryan was more turned because he was popular.
Hmm...actually didn't they make the decision to turn Batista early because he was popular too?

It all started when he was teasing a turn against HHH in November 2014. I believe Chris Benoit was the acting RAW GM for one night.

The teasing has been addressed by Batista (and I am quite sure HHH as well) as initially nothing more than a one night tease against the crowd (with a proper turn to be done a lot later down the track) but the crowd ate it up and reacted way more than what was expected.

Batista only got even more over (babyface reactions) from there, even though he was still technically a heel.

·
Banned
15,464 Posts
He was getting very hot, but I think the face turn with the thumbs down really cemented it. People were hungry for the face turn, and it was perfectly timed. But you are right, he was already getting cheered. People wanted to see him kill Triple H.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
As far as top level guys, probably Bryan, and before him Punk.

Usually it has the opposite effect though. Rollins face turn has made him an uninteresting character, and we're starting to see the same thing happen with Styles.

WWE just sucks as creating main event faces these days. They're either part timers, booed by half the crowd, or uninteresting and not as over as they should be.

The last truly over main event babyface was Daniel Bryan.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
While I'll concede WWE too often struggles with their faces, half of the onus falls on today's fans. You can deny it until you're blue in the face, but fans today (primarily those in the IWC/hardcore) outright want to cheer heels. They want to stick it to Vince. Nothing changed about AJ except he stopped cheating and calling you stupid for chanting his name, and yet he's cooked off considerably. He's still running around repeating the same fucking phrases from six months ago, but now that he's face, hes slowly being ruined and cheering for him isn't quite as fun anymore. And this is after many of you stood from the rooftops demanding he turn face because he was too good to boo.

"B-b-but he was working the midcard!!"

Yeah, with Kevin Owens, another heel this community adores. Working the mid card didn't stop a face that was genuinely over like Bryan from being over, neither did his face turn. Until a certain segment of fans stop attempting to be the cool kids they weren't in high school and cease the edgy badass act, you won't get any decent face turns because you don't want them.

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
Bonkers Bliss
4,930 Posts
Edge in 2010

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.