Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Know Your Worth
10,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says.

Sometime in the mid 90s? Around 96/97 when the product was starting to get more edgier? I can't recall seeing blood in a 80s WWE match.

·
Know Your Worth
10,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was in the NWA though. I'm talking about the WWE specifically.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
I grew up watching NWA in the late 80's and early 90's and up until around the time when Ric Flair and The Road Warriors had both jumped to WWE i only watched WWE through their PPV's on video but without watching the match again i think i remember Hulk Hogan bleeding across his head against Randy Savage at WrestleMania 5. In NWA it was a much more regular thing to see blood with Ric Flair, Harley Race, Dusty Rhodes, The Road Warriors and many more all doing so as there were much more gimmick matches in NWA then WWE back then.

WWE did some things that could be considered edgy for back then like Jake Roberts getting his snake to bite Randy Savage or The Undertaker locking The Ultimate Warrior in a coffin or Sgt Slaughter taking sides with Saddam Hussein during The Gulf War but i barely ever remember blood in their matches until Shawn Michaels first run as WWE champion. It's a shame that WWE have done something of a blood ban in recent years as it really adds to a gimmick match in a heated feud and now i find it hard to buy into Hell In A Cell or The Elimination Chamber without blood.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Blading was common back in the 1960's and 1970's, especially in cages matches. Look on Youtube and you'll find Bruno Sammartino, Stan Hansen etc bleeding in many matches. Don Muraco was bleeding heavily in his famous cage match with Jimmy Snuka in the early 80's.

Sgt Slaughter and Iron Sheik had a bloody feud in 1984.

Hulk Hogan bladed at Wrestlemania 2, 5 and 7. Rude bladed at Summerslam 1990. Flair bladed, without authority, at Wrestlemania 8. But it was mostly outlawed between 87 and 96.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
I remember plenty of blood in Hogan's Wrestlemania VII match with Sgt.Slaughter as well as Ric Flair's blade job at Wrestlemania VIII. Bret Hart bled quite profusely at Wrestlemania VIII as well. It wasn't that common during that era.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Was that a blade job or was he bust open the hard way? Can never remember.
In his book, Bret says that it was a blade job. He boasts that it was such a subtle and convincing job that Vince thought that it was a legitimate injury that had happened accidentally, and didn't fine Hart for violating their 'No Blading Policy'. Flair, on the other hand, apparantly paid a hefty fine for his blade job because of how blatantly it was done. Evidently, Bret finds this quite funny.

·
Premium Member
19,306 Posts
In his book, Bret says that it was a blade job. He boasts that it was such a subtle and convincing job that Vince thought that it was a legitimate injury that had happened accidentally, and didn't fine Hart for violating their 'No Blading Policy'. Flair, on the other hand, apparantly paid a hefty fine for his blade job because of how blatantly it was done. Evidently, Bret finds this quite funny.
That is pretty funny. Bret is a badass.

·
Custom User Title
15,232 Posts
The first blade job in WWE was probably way before the earliest WWE match we have footage of (whatever that is).

·
Registered
945 Posts
Some that come to mind....

Hogan (vs Savage WM5)
Hogan (vs Slaughter WM7)
Billy Jack Haynes (vs Hercules WM3)
Rick Rude (vs Warrior SSlam90)
Lanny Poffo (thanks to Andre pre-WM3)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts