Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When was the last time you actually got nervous or excited over a near fall on the Undertaker at Wrestlemania and thought he could lose?

Mine would probably be Wrestlemania 24 against Edge right at the end when Edge hit the spear only to be countered into Hell's Gate. It seems stupid looking back, because it was very unlikely that he was gonna lose the streak after so long to Edge but watching it in real time I genuinely thought it was over.

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
i feel XXV was the last against HBK when HBK kicked out the tombstone and the shot of taker down the camera it was like i cant beat this guy the streak may end but i feel that every match he has at mania it may be over well all since 2007

·
Banned
1,630 Posts
Wrestlemanis 26. What got me the most was not the near falls in the match, but when Taker hesitated to finish Michaels off. I seriously thought we were going to see HBK hit a Super Kick out of nowhere and beat the Undertaker right there.

·
Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Orton at 21. Chokeslam into RKO. I've always felt/known Undertaker would win his matches in the years since then.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
This past Mania Vs. HBk, excellent match. Not as good as the one from the year before though.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,036 Posts
Other then the HBK matches, I would say the last time would be Randy Orton. mainly because he was the legend killer and I saw it going both ways. Orton could win the match and be the man who defeated the streak and the legend of the Undertaker, or Undertaker could win and continue his streak.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,748 Posts
i don't know how you could look past the Shawn Michaels matches and say you were 100% sure Taker was winning.

but other than the Shawn Michaels matches, it was definitely the Orton match, because Orton was that type of guy that people are always saying Taker would end up giving the streak too. a young guy on the rise that WWE looks really highly upon and wants to push to the moon. but thankfully, the streak was kept intact.

·
Banned
6,893 Posts
Wrestlemanis 26. What got me the most was not the near falls in the match, but when Taker hesitated to finish Michaels off. I seriously thought we were going to see HBK hit a Super Kick out of nowhere and beat the Undertaker right there.
Especially since Taker was telling Shawn to hit him with it repeatedly.

Taker was ready to lay down that night, no question.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Wrestlemania 13, against Sycho Sid. Sid got double teamed the entire match by Undertaker and the heel Bret Hart, so you just thought that there might be a way for Sid to overcome the odds and win to retain his title and create that special Wrestlemania moment.

Anyone that picks from 'Taker's last five matches is new to wrestling.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I'll agree with HBK. Both times. The first time I didn't think until about 10 minutes into the match, then when the second come round I just thought Shawn had lost the first one on the promise he'd win the second one.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,588 Posts
Orton. When he reversed that chokeslam into an RKO I almost shit myself.

Batista was kinda scary, as was Edge, but Orton vs Taker really had me thing it was gonna end right there.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Kane at XIV

Orton at 21

HBK at XXVI

take your pick.

·
Banned
18,557 Posts
From a kayfabe perspective, Giant Gonzales, Diesel, and Psycho Sid were formidable foes that had chances of winning.

HHH hitting The Undertaker with the sledgehammer was a CLOSE call.

Ric Flair had a good chance of winning from his mastery at cheating as well as Arn Anderon's aid.

The handicapped match was a crappy sitation. I was afraid Undertaker was going to get screwed or something.

And Edge was a worthy foe. Even though the buildup was terrible with him being a chickenshit, he dominated a good portion of the match!

Kane (the first time), Orton, Batista, and Michaels (the first time) were the greatest threats to the streak though.

- Vic

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well if you want to say when a wrestlemania defeat was possible, you would go as saying the early stages of his career when WWE where not aware or considering a steak situation. I dont know if wwe had the idea of a streak all along or not, but im sure they were more along the lines of hold on this guy is 5-0 at mania lets go somewhere with this.

As for when it was recognised, i think the three times it was only really even considered was Orton and Kane (1st match). This is because with Orton it would be the push of a lifetime and a serious investment for the company in terms of developing a character. Kane on the otherhand would of really put him on the map early and it was a case of who would become the dominent of the two.

HBK match in both cases had moments of maybe but when you feel he had made his career choice it wasnt really in jeopardy or considered that he would win by WWE

·
Registered
813 Posts
Not really, considering this past WM it literally could have gone either way.
No, it couldn't have. Undertaker's streak is a big deal. They're not going to end it unless the person that ends it has something INCREDIBLE to gain from doing so. Shawn Michaels had absolutely nothing to gain by beating Undertaker. He's a sure fire Hall of Famer. He's won every title worth winning, he had a lengthy career, headlined multiple Wrestlemanias, Royal Rumble wins... nearly everything you can do in wrestling. How would ending Undertaker's streak have benefited him, or anyone?

... it wouldn't have. Not to mention that Michaels had been discussing retirement for some time. Throw in the fact that numerous wrestlers (Flair, Savage, etc.) have proven that a retirement stipulation is absolutely meaningless, and anyone that thought that Michaels was going to win either of the last two matches is, as I said, new to wrestling, or just plain naive.

I'll give people the benefit of the doubt on Orton 6 years ago, because that was the angle (Legend Killer), Orton was clearly WWE's next chosen one, and he would've benefited a lot from a victory. I could see people thinking that Orton might go over there. But other than that? You have to go back to Kane (or in my opinion, Sycho Sid) to see the last time the streak was at all in jeopardy.

·
Registered
114 Posts
There were several matches were they made it seem like the Undertaker's streak was in jeopardy, but the only real times it actually felt like it was during the entire match were the Batista and the 1st Michaels match. Orton just had flashes of maybe (Chokeslam into the RKO), the second Michaels match was kinda spoiled by Shawn Michaels retiring, everyone and their mother knew Edge and Henry wouldn't have won, and I don't really remember the streak being made into a big deal for any of his previous matches at Mania. His streak at those times was almost beside the point, like an odd bit of trivia that only Jim Ross knew, 'Oh by the way Taker's undefeated lol'.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts