·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Also which one ranks higher?

·
Registered
15,754 Posts
I think an Icon is someone that marked a moment in history and is synonymous with that time period, and a Legend is someone that is held at the highest esteem based on their entire body of work. There isn't that much difference between the two since most that are considered Icons are also considered Legends.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Obviously Legend is better :hogan2
But guys like dibiase, bob orton, dusty rhodes are also considered legends, yet they are not considered icons. So im not sure it is better.

·
CHAIRMAN of WF
2,528 Posts
An icon is usually someone who is appreciated among people for what they have done in the present time, Icon are normally still alive. A legend is a person who had done something great for their time and and is still looked upon and praised several years later.

Example:
John Cena is an Icon but in 10-20 years he will be a Legend
Hulk Hogan is currently a Legend, but 20 years ago he was an Icon.

Spongebob is an icon. Mickey Mouse is a legend.

·
Banned
2,427 Posts
An icon is greater than a legend. Anyone who made an impact on the sport and had their names remembered for years and years become legends. Jake The Snake is a legend. Rick Rude is a legend. Triple H is a legend. These guys are some of the all time greats.

Being an icon is belonging to a much more exclusive club. The icons are the ones you visualize when you think of Pro Wrestling. If you ask most people my age to name a pro Wrestler, they'll name Hulk Hogan. Thae man is literally synonymous with the word "Wrestling". The man is an icon. When someone says Attitude era, you think Austin. He's an icon. Ask someone older than us and they'll tell you the first wrestler that comes to mind is Ric Flair... or Andre The Giant.

These are wrestling ICONS.

·
Banned
730 Posts

Obviously Legend is better :hogan2
But guys like dibiase, bob orton, dusty rhodes are also considered legends, yet they are not considered icons. So im not sure it is better.
Because that poster is backwards. Hogan is more iconic than HBK ever will be.

Legends are basically things will be remembered and told for generations to come. Icons are similar, but they are recognizable and distinguishable. Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Ric Flair, The Undertaker, Andre the Giant etc... Those are recognizable, iconic wrestlers.

An Icon is essentially a Legend, but people can look at it and identify it. Hulk Hogan is a perfect example of a wrestling icon. He's a Legend, yet you can take a good look at him and know who or what exactly he is or identifies with.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
IMHO, the world "icon" probably should not be used period. An icon/икона is a holy picture in the Eastern Orthodox Church. Contrary to Western religious pictures, it is painted in a specific style that is two dimensional and devoid of any semblance of "worldliness." The subject of icons are usually Christ, the Virgin Mary, the Saints of the Eastern Orthodox Church, prophets from the Old Testament, etc.

I haven't seen one yet that depicts Andre the Giant!fpalm

Icons are painted in Eastern Orthodox Seminaries and Monasteries to be later venerated in churches. Eastern Orthodox Christians look at icons as "windows into heaven."

I would say Nature Boy Buddy Rogers is a legend, but he certainly is not an "icon!"

- Mike

RUSSIAN ORTHODOX ICON OF ST. ALEKSANDR NEVSKY

GREEK ORTHODOX 17TH CENTURY ICON OF MARY HOLDING THE CHRIST CHILD

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Legend- a huge superstar who has done a lot for the sport and will always be considered one of the greats!
Icon- a huge superstar who will one day be a legend!

In 2005, HBK was an icon. Now he's a legend.
Currently, John Cena is an icon, and a big one at that. Long time from now, he will be considered a legend.
If Punk gets involved in a major storyline and does something again to stir up the business, he will considered an icon. He's getting his icon status right now, as is Daniel Bryan.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Batko 'Buzzkiller' :D
Sorry, I don't want to be a buzzkiller.:argh:

To make up for it, I'll just say that in the modern secular parlance (of not only) wrestling the misused word "icon" and the word "legend" are probably synonymous and interchangeable.

- Mike

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well I do recall the nWo theme calling Hogan the biggest icon in wrestling.

An icon is greater than a legend. Anyone who made an impact on the sport and had their names remembered for years and years become legends. Jake The Snake is a legend. Rick Rude is a legend. Triple H is a legend. These guys are some of the all time greats.

Being an icon is belonging to a much more exclusive club. The icons are the ones you visualize when you think of Pro Wrestling. If you ask most people my age to name a pro Wrestler, they'll name Hulk Hogan. Thae man is literally synonymous with the word "Wrestling". The man is an icon. When someone says Attitude era, you think Austin. He's an icon. Ask someone older than us and they'll tell you the first wrestler that comes to mind is Ric Flair... or Andre The Giant.

These are wrestling ICONS.
Well said, im leaning towards this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts