Wrestling Forum banner

When is anyone gonna stand up to Vince McMahon like Vince Russo did in 1996/1997?

850 Views 8 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  krillep
It's well documented that Vince Russo couldn't take it anymore with how horrible the WWF was in the mid-90's to the point where he was fantasy booking with the Magazine and eventually stood up to Vince Mcmahon while everyone else kissed his ass.

Russo took the oppurtunity live on Livewire in Oct of 1996 to call out Vince, Cornette(& Prichard since he was writing too) & Michael Hayes for the horrible writing.

Vince Russo became the voice of the voiceless on that show, eventually ratings declined and Mcmahon realized that Russo was right, so made him lead writer in March 1997.

Vince Russo then proceed to draw the biggest ratings in wrestling history, with the exact same roster that Prichard and Cornette failed.

"How can this show be so awful Mr. Mcmahon?" - Vince Russo

"I didn't think it was" - Vince Mcmahon

When will we get someone who stands up to Vince Mcmahon?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Banned
6,926 Posts
Re: When is anyone gonna stand up to Vince Mcmahon like Vince Russo did in 1996/1997?

You don't think HHH probably has these conversations with Vince on a regular basis? And he's in a better position to challenge Vince's ideas without fear of reprisal than anyone. I remember Bryan writing in his book that he recalls sometimes seeing HHH coming out of production meetings with a defeated look on his face, as if he just got through being shot down by McMahon

· You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,798 Posts
Re: When is anyone gonna stand up to Vince Mcmahon like Vince Russo did in 1996/1997?

fairplay to russo for being able to stand up to vince whilst sporting that haircut.

· Banned
2,362 Posts

You don't think HHH probably has these conversations with Vince on a regular basis? And he's in a better position to challenge Vince's ideas without fear of reprisal than anyone. I remember Bryan writing in his book that he recalls sometimes seeing HHH coming out of production meetings with a defeated look on his face, as if he just got through being shot down by McMahon
i mean trying to convince a senile set in his ways old man he's doing shit wrong is damn near impossible

· Registered
10,291 Posts

While Vince's ego was huge at the time, it wasn't big enough that he wouldn't listen to others especially when the fans were reacting a certain way.

In 2019 Vince's ego is WAY to big for anyone to have the success that Russo had getting in his ear. Until fans stop showing up to live events and stop subscribing to the WWE network, things won't change.

· Registered
6,429 Posts
First time I’ve seen those clips.

Takes a lot of balls to risk your career and talk like that to your boss for the benefit of the company.

Can’t see another Vince Russo emerging anytime soon because there seems to be too many hardcore marks for the business right now.

Everyone is living their dream just by being there, and wages are higher now.

· Registered
189 Posts
Vince McMahon listened to Vince Russo because WCW was kicking his ass. That and he was younger with a little bit less time at the top compared to now.

As for now, McMahon is older and has been the most powerful man in American wrestling for so long. He will eventually listen to someone when there is another promotion that is kicking his ass not just in terms of product quality but also $$.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.