Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on some wrestling rankings and title histories, and If you want to help me out, I'm gonna post my questions in this thread.

Right now I'm working on a "longest time as WWE champion in the modern era" ranking, which is not a big deal compared to other stuff I've done, but I want to draw a line between modern era and pre modern era. The debut of RAW in 1993 seems like a good idea to me, since titles were more often defended and more and more PPVs were added. No 7 year Sammartino reign was possible anymore.

What do you think?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I'm working on some wrestling rankings and title histories, and If you want to help me out, I'm gonna post my questions in this thread.

Right now I'm working on a "longest time as WWE champion in the modern era" ranking, which is not a big deal compared to other stuff I've done, but I want to draw a line between modern era and pre modern era. The debut of RAW in 1993 seems like a good idea to me, since titles were more often defended and more and more PPVs were added. No 7 year Sammartino reign was possible anymore.

What do you think?
Why isn't it?

It is possible, but the guy needs to be truly special and really over with the fans. I bet the fans wouldn't mind seeing Daniel Bryan hold the belt for 4 or 5 years, as long as he's put against opponents that can deliver with him (Rollins, Cesaro, Ambrose, etc).

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They would mind. Cena won the title in 05 and was pretty over, held it for 280 days but the fans got tired of him as champ after a few months. It would get boring ordering PPVs or subscribing to the network knowing the title won't change.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts

What do you think?
The modern era of WWE basically started when the WWE went into the national expansion phase in the early to mid 1980s. The pre modern era of wrestling in general would be the 1970s as the last true great decade of the territorial structure.

It should be noted that Sammartino was a regional territorial type world champion as the NWA World Heavyweight Champion was considered the premier championship belt in those days and not the WWWF title.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.