Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When do you believe that this current PG Era in the WWE begin?

I believe it started in 2009.

Some people think it was in 2006, 2007, or 2008 (citing Cena's title reigns as a reason).

But look a little deeper into those years- you still had some bloody matchups (i.e. Undertaker/Batista), chair shots to the heads, and some huge spot moments (i.e. Jeff Hardy jumping high onto Orton near the RAW Titantron prior to the 2008 Royal Rumble).

Also, consider that the Divas (for better or worse) were a lot more sexualized then now- they were still posing in Playboy (Candice, Ashley, and Maria, respectively), revealing segments (Kelly Kelly's exhibitionist phase, as well as the Extreme Expose), and they weren't wearing a lot sometimes (what Lita had a tendency to wear when she was aligned with Edge- and don't forget their Live Sex celebration in early Jan. 2006).

What say you?

·
Registered
534 Posts
It has been a transitioning process since 2004-2005.

Actually when you consider changes from the past, it really began in 2003

Back then Cusing was 80% of the show and exposing your ass and sex jokes from commentators was normal.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
2009 definitely. More specifically the guest host stuff. Because soon after that, chair shots to the head were outlawed. Blood was taken off. The guest host segments with stars were terrible and seemed really childish.

So I think in mid 2009 the WWE went full force PG era.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Before 2003, Women did not even wear bras under their t-shirts for wet t-shirt contests.

The transition started in 2003. Every year after that the WWE became more and more PG.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I'd say 2007. If you watch the PPVs for that year you'll see that blood is significantly less frequent than it was even in 2006, and the blood was gone pretty much by mid 2008. Also around 2007/2008 the Divas stopped being so heavily sexualized, and after the McMahon paternity storyline there weren't really any family-unfriendly storylines.

·
Friends Come And Go,Banners Hang Forever
25,685 Posts
When they changed the rating to PG? Idk, that seems like the most logical time for when it started.

·
Masonic!
1,547 Posts
I think the first time I noticed was when Chris Jericho smashed Shawn Michaels head into the Highlights Reel's TV and he didn't bleed.

·
Banned
4,257 Posts
In mid-2008.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
The specific moment it turned for me in hindsight was when DX reuinted in 2006. Granted they did do some mildly TV-14 stuff after that - thought it was TV-Y7 compared the stuff they did a decade earlier - but the whole tone of the show seemed to start changing around that time. Eventually it got to the point where DX's schtick was pretty much the epitome of all the terrible things the PG era has been representative of.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Summer of 2008, however they still had some TV-14 dirt left on them that need brushing off until 2009 roll through.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
2008, In the mid of the year WWE started becoming more and more kid friendly.
Midway through 2008, I can recall a very violent match between Cena and JBL at Great American Bash, as well as Edge/Undertaker's Hell in a Cell at SummerSlam.

Also, I seem to recall WWE.com's SummerSkin, which was the last time the Divas were doing revealing bikini photospreads- as well as Maria being the last Diva to pose for Playboy.

I believe WWE wasn't completely kid friendly by that point in 2008, and that 2009 was the true beginning.

Not saying your opinion's wrong- just giving my two cents.

·
Premium Member
18,745 Posts
Wasn't Summerslam 2008 the first wwe ppv not to be rated tv 14 since the attidute era began? If so i'll go
with that.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts