Wrestling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
to be fair i tried to keep watching when jericho returned and faced orton but i pretty much stopped once big guys and cena dominated too much and the product became a repetitive show of attack return talk nonsense yet it not being like the attitude era where it was new and hot. so you got superhero vs villain and still to this day you get a bit of good stuff thats worth watching but i dont watch full shows no more. my first match i was 5 year old and now im 30 lol so around 18year old i gave up entirely.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Just after this year's WrestleMania.

I just lost all motivation to sit there and watch it week after week. Still check in with recaps though.

·
it's a tarp!
7,037 Posts
Just a few..

Most recently the 2020 draft where for all intents and purposes WWE put all the unwatchables on RAW and made Smackdown look outstanding by comparison. They combined this by giving RAW the shittiest intro music in television history.

But maybe it was better to just kill one show than drag them both down.

Before that I gave up when babyface Dean Ambrose returned from injury as a heel. I'd been waiting a long time for it to happen, but WWE never fails to disappoint..me.

WWE turned the guy who I considered could lead the company into a joke. So fk that for a game of soldiers, I gave up watching all wrestling completely for about five weeks. I really intended to give up completely, but I saw a youtube headline that Deano was leaving the WWE.

Ironically, Dean leaving WWE made me take an interest again simply because I needed to find out what had happened and what was happening going forward.

Before that was Becky Lynch heading into her WrestleMania main event. WWE in their wisdom took Becky out of the WrestleMania match. I thought really? really? Fk this company, and gave up watching. I never bothered to watch WrestleMania either, because fk this company.

Before that I had to give up watching Smackdown after the most terrible Rusev/Orton match imaginable.

Before that CM Punk had publicly left WWE, but remained under contract. RAW was scheduled to be in Chicago, and WWE chatter, internet posters, and even CM Punk by not denying it, lead me to believe Punk was going to return for this show.

Punk did not return. Paul Heyman shit on everybody. And I gave up watching because it felt like false advertising and WWE wanting to stick it to me.

And never least, King Booker made me give up watching WWE for years.

Watching King Booker for more than a split second was like the third ring of hell.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I never stopped watching. I kept bitching about it to a minimum because if I didn't like it I wouldn't watch, but things in wrestling now do aggitate me, like Michael Coles ass kissing energy and his commentary.
I let my younger brothers do the bitching about wrestling. Now that the football European championships are underway they will no doubt turn their attention to that and not bother watching Raw and Smackdown. But of course.....they will come crawling back for the Smackdown with a live crowd. Which is a bit annoying I think.

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
Superior Bliss
4,776 Posts
stopped for 4 full years 2012-2016, now I watch SD! but skip most raws.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When did you stop watching WWE and why? For me it was around 2015/2016 where the show felt so unbelievably repetitive and they kept shoving Reigns and Rollins down our throats. Also shit like Bo Dallas and Stardust pissed me off as well. In general though, ever since the Shield joined WWE, everyone went downhill for me. Never liked them and the whole era that came from it.
I stopped getting PPV's sometime after Wrestlemania 19 (March 2003.) I still tuned in to RAW sometimes, but didn't get any PPV's. My daughter was born soon after, and my wife stopped working so I had to better budget my entertainment. By the time I could afford it again a couple years later I was completely apathetic to the product. I never got into HHH or Cena as top guys, plus the addition of Smackdown made it seem like just to much to follow, and not alot I was interested in. I watched a little TNA, but never liked it much, a little ROH, but they were still just a DVD company then, so it was a little hard to get invested. I would occasionally read results online or channel flip, or see something on youtube, but never spent any money on the product (not counting the monthly cable bill.) I started watching AEW when Dynamite started and have been hooked. The weekly show and quarterly PPV's are just the right amount of content for me to enjoy, and I like most of the wrestlers, it's kind of fun being a wrestling fan again.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yeah I see a lot of people had breaks as well.

My first break was was around WM29, hated the whole Rock/Cena thing happening again.

Then came back around summer of 2014, then had another break in spring of 2015 with the Reigns/Lesnar shit

Came back again around maybe later 2015 and beggining of 2016 was when I stopped watching for good.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yeah I see a lot of people had breaks as well.

My first break was was around WM29, hated the whole Rock/Cena thing happening again.

Then came back around summer of 2014, then had another break in spring of 2015 with the Reigns/Lesnar shit

Came back again around maybe later 2015 and beggining of 2016 was when I stopped watching for good.
So why are you here? People that stop wrestling don't care about it full stop.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
You forgot the women's revolution crap they started shoving down everyone's throats from since the brand split. I'll take Roman and Seth over that crap any day.

That being said, I became a part-time watcher from 2013, gave it a shot again in 2016 but after 2016 I stopped watching more and more until now when I stick to just reading the results. Checking YouTube clips of Raw isn't even worth the time or effort.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Interesting! Question, then, when did you get back into wrestling after you got bored? So, if you bounced in 1995, when did you start watching again before dipping again in 2008?

I stopped watching WWE consistently around 2005, never really started back up again. Just get periods of nostalgia binge watching. Not interesting in any modern wrestling, honestly.
I can't remember a specific reason for stopping watching in 95, thinking of my old favourites only Bret Hart, Razor Ramon and the 1-2-3 Kid were still around by then, but I started watching it again when I was flicking through channels and caught something like Superstars or Livewire, and they were talking up the 1998 Survivor series world title tournament. The WWF always did a great job with quick, well edited hype packages and recaps. Mr McMahon. The People Champ the Rock. The Corporate Pick Mankind. Austin, would he show up, what would he do? It was exciting stuff and within one episode I was looking forward to seeing what happened next. Everyone new it was fake then too but if you had big personalities and an exciting story with twists to it like that now I'm sure people would want to watch it.

Then after 2008 I pretty much didn't give wrestling any thought for years, and got back into it basically because I went to Australia backpacking in 2012, working farm jobs, living in rented rooms and didn't have a million dollars for my entertainment, and WWE was on a free channel over there, and the Rock just happened to be back at that moment in time, so I watched the ppv's and whatever the equivalent of Livewire was at that time. I never took up watching Raw and Smackdown regular after 2008, they were a massive drag of a pair of shows even back then, I'd watch the recap shows, ppv's. NXT from 2014-2019, until finally giving up last year.

·
Registered
598 Posts
After Punk lost to HHH in late-2011 I gave up watching for a bit. Then I watched off and on until early last year. Once they stopped having fans in the arena, I completely stopped watching except for the RR.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
first time i stopped was in 2007. i tuned back in at the end of 2011 and watched until 2018 though i was curious how wwe would be during covid, watched clips of taker's last match. however many years it takes, i'm just waiting until the company is under new management.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts