Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
International Purveyor Of Violence
2,417 Posts
Attending Wrestlemania 34 in New Orleans. It was apparent Vince was going out of his way to troll the fans who'd paid thousands of dollars to be there. Asuka jobbing. The Cena/Taker fuckery all night. The Nicolas fiasco. The lackluster main event. Felt more like a RAW than the grandest stage of them all. I also realized there would never be any sort of solid storytelling or strong character arcs. 2 years later and I've been proven right.

Don't get me wrong, I had the time of my life with loved ones and met some great folks from all over the world. But unless something drastic changes it'll be the last time I devote any substantial time or money to the product.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I stopped drinking the kool aid in late 2001. Shortly after the invasion angle. Started watching again in 2016

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,523 Posts
Somewhere relatively early in Cena's reign, probably somewhere in 2005. A still very green Cena taking apart three of my favorite heels of all time (Angle, Christian, and Jericho) one after the other was just a bridge too far for me.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Somewhere relatively early in Cena's reign, probably somewhere in 2005. A still very green Cena taking apart three of my favorite heels of all time (Angle, Christian, and Jericho) one after the other was just a bridge too far for me.
I was still somewhat of a mark and preferred the faces in general, but Jericho was Jericho, man. Fuck cheering against him. I didn't mind Cena beating Angle at No Way Out 2005, but from Unforgiven to the Survivor Series Angle should have won the title and have a reign until the Royal Rumble or so. No way that would have hurt Cena's overness. In fact, shoving him down our throats is the reason why so many of us hate his guts.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
I actually drinked a IWC Kool-Aid the "wait and see" one, every time WWE shows sign of their typical incompetence a group of people here would tell you WWE it's taking their time planning all perfectly and you should be patient.

Obviously that's bullshit when WWE shows bad signs I never, but never gives them the benefit of doubt.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I stopped drinking it the first day. Because they were trying to push the Hulk Hogan agenda, and I liked the heels right from the start, beginning with Rowdy Roddy Piper, and then the Macho Man. Hogan held the belt for three frigging years, with me rooting against him every step of the way. I didn't start liking Hogan until he turned Hollywood in WCW.

·
S.E.E.S.
536 Posts
Surprised to see a few of you quit in 2001 during the Invasion, that's a shame, you missed some good shit after that, especially on SD. 2009 is what did me in, the guest hosts were to much for me and it was clear the WWE was catering more and more to kids so I switched off for good.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Surprised to see a few of you quit in 2001 during the Invasion, that's a shame, you missed some good shit after that, especially on SD. 2009 is what did me in, the guest hosts were to much for me and it was clear the WWE was catering more and more to kids so I switched off for good.
It's quite common, actually. The death of WCW, the end of the MNWs and the disappointing Invasion angle made a lot of people lose interest in wrestling. Hence why buyrates, attendance and tv ratings fell quite a lot from early 2001 to late 2002. Business wasn't as hot after Austin's heel turn and during early 2002 but still was doing pretty decent numbers which WWE would KILL FOR nowadays, but after WM18 it basically crashed. Austin walking out and Rock leaving after SummerSlam and then coming back as a heel didn't help matters either. Nor did the brand extension.

Wrestling is very cyclical/generational.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like wrestling but I'm not in love with it. The only times I've ever been lost in the pageantry of it is with Austin and rock. Then cm punk and Daniel Bryan. Now the fiend. I like auto clicker matches and promos occasionally but as I've grown older it's become harder for me to become lost in things like when I was a kid. Now I'm way more critical and things.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was a total mark when it went big in the UK in the 1990's until 1994 when it became apparent they'd lost their way. Back in 1992 I had all the action figures, a Piper t shirt, a Warrior t shirt, bought the magazine every month.

1997 pulled me back in - bought the original Austin 3:16 and DX t-shirts. Bought the CDs, autobiographies. Watched the UK only PPVs. The crap conclusions to Higher Power, HHH/Stephanie/Kurt, and Who Hit Austin really dimished my interest. Austin's heel turn and the rushed Invasion angle really soured me on spending money on anything McMahon owned.

Then they lost me as a regular viewer between 2007 and 2009 when the Cena fandom became too much and the balls were completely cut off the product. Haven't been to a live event since then.

Stopped watching Raw completely in 2015 and moved on to YouTube highlights. Stopped watching via weekly highlights after Wrestlemania 34. 2019 was soo bad I relegated myself to Rumble and Mania only.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
I was a WCW fan first but got into WWF when Stone Cold started to take off. It was so good at the time I was able to ignore some of the cringe like the Hand and Katie Vick. Plus I was a teenager at the time so I did not over analyze it. Back then it was cool to have a Stone Cold or Rock shirt.

They started to lose me during the invasion and I was sad when ECW shut down. Then they brought in Flair but right after the invasion? He should have been the spokesperson for WCW in the invasion. So that annoyed me but then they gave me Rock/Hogan so I was pretty happy in 2002. Hollywood Rock was great and we still had Angle who I loved from day one. I loved ECW One Night Stand 2005 and 2006 but during this time with Cena becoming a thing it really turned me off. I HATED and still hate Cena. I am sure he is a nice guy in real life but his character was just so cringe to me. Imagine wearing a Cena shirt outside your home? You would and should get punched or at least mocked. It made me stop watching for years. I would drop in every now and again for a RAW or a big four PPV, see Cena still smirking and leave again.

I am watching RAW again now. We will see if it holds my attention.

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
I started really thinking about wresting history and questioning the WWE narrative surprisingly late. Reality was kind of background noise for me. I’d say the tipping point was 2015 though. I just wasn’t ready for another ten years of the Vince McMahon guy.

·
Premium Member
9,661 Posts
Many interesting comments. I can see a little bit more now why many people hated Cena. I used to as well anyways.

I used to watch late WCW as a kid and would watch WWE irregularly between 2003-2005 and it was around mid-2005 that I started watching weekly. A few month later, I remember also the coincide the first time ever I was flipping channels and caught TNA by surprise, so I kept watching, and it was the same episode that had Sting debut, my favorite from WCW when I was a kid. So I would watch both regularly.
I didn't have a favorite yet in WWE, it was a toss-up between HBK/Kane for me at the time, but I didn't really like Cena despite all my friends loving him. It was the NYR 2006, Edge cashes in, and the rest is history. Edge was my favorite, and he and Cena feuded for like 9 months in 2006. Similarly in TNA, It was all about Sting vs Jeff Jarrett, I have very fond memories of these rivalries and haven't rewatched since. And honestly, I just enjoyed TNA more, especially with the introduction of the knockouts, and I just couldn't believe it was so minor league, but i had hop it was only 5-6 years old back then. The matches between Gail/Kong and what WWE was putting out for the women was a joke.

Then internet happened, I watch a lot of old wrestling, joined Yahoo Answers Wrestling Section in 2007, read more about other companies and the stuff that used to happen in WWE.
I pretty much realized WWE/Vince/HHH were just kind of shitty who had their kingdom to play with as they pleased.

It was a combination of things around that time, still though, I've always enjoyed WWE as a fan, it wasn't until the middle of this decade that I started to see it more as a business.

And for Cena, I've had love-hate switch to him so many times, but for me it's mostly I respect him away, he knows who he is.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
During the Attitude Era. I still followed it occasionally after that but generally speaking the type of product they were producing didn't appeal to me, and I didn't like how Vince handled the Bret and later Owen situation.

But it's obvious to me that still quite a few posters in here should ask to be on WWE's payroll, with all the free shilling they do for that company. I won't name names. Everyone knows who they are.

·
Sports Entertainment Enthusiast
783 Posts
never . i started watching wwe in 2006 and my favourite wrestlers were mr kennedy,mvp and edge . and i hated invencibles superbabyfaces like cena,batista,hhh,hbk and undertaker

·
Registered
765 Posts
I watched for 2-3 years around the wrestling boom in my country, which was probably 2008-late 2010. Than I stopped and would watch very sporadically but never really catch on. I remember one time I wanted to see what was going on and then I saw Fandango debuting which was underwhelming, then I saw that he beat Y2J which made me stop. I started paying a little attention when Brock became the champion again, and started watching full on in January 2015.

I always was around forums in wrestling, even when I started watching, so I'd say I always had the awareness that there is other stuff out there, but never really got into other wrestling shows. NJPW was too different, I'd watch some matches but I'd never really could appreciate the characters which is probably the most important part in wrestling. The Indys were too nerdy, felt like I was watching some local wrestling show (even tho I had my CZW fandom period). TNA felt cool in the beginning but for Youtube highlights. So the Kool-aid was more inside WWE, than relatively to other companies. Like I knew what we are getting is far from the best product.
That's why I started a marathon on the Network starting in 1997 2-3 years ago, and that's my source of wrestling pretty much now, even tho I started watching a bit of RAW. And even now, I'm arriving in 2002 in my "marathon", and I can already the change from the Attitude Era, mainly in the production of the show.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used to observe late WCW as a child and would watch WWE unpredictably between 2003-2005 and it was around mid-2005 that I began observing week after week. A couple of month later, I recall likewise the concur the first run through ever I was flipping channels and got TNA off guard, I continued viewing, and it was a similar scene that had Sting debut, my most loved from WCW when I was a child. So I would watch both normally.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts