Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you ever drank it in the first place, that is.

When I first got into watching WWE nearly everything about it seemed cool and I'd buy into their propaganda. However, I started to watch WWE around a time where the internet was already something present in most households and internet forums were at the height of their popularity. Meaning the IWC was booming year after year. I quickly found places online to discuss WWE and wrestling and quickly learned a lot of shady stuff about WWE's past. Looking back, it really proves how kayfabe has been dead for so long and how easy it is to become a "smark". It was easy as hell in 2004-2005 already, so I can't even imagine nowadays.

It's hard to pin point exactly when I opened my eyes, but it was around mid-2005... John Cena's WWE title reign happened and I could tell it was wrong for him to be going over Jericho, Angle, etc. constantly and his character becoming less appealing to teenagers and adults and more appealing to kids and girls/women. So that was the beginning. But I think I really became more critical and began learning more about the past around early-mid 2006, so I guess around there? Plus, youtube was now a thing and in pre-google buyout you could easily watch TONS of older WWF videos on youtube and dailymotion without worrying that they'd get removed a few days afterwards. So watching Stone Cold and The Rock and comparing them to the likes of Cena and suck really made me realise that WWE had seen better days. And the way WWE destroyed the Ultimate Warrior in that DVD documentary of theirs and then reading peopple's opinions and warnings online about the history between Warrior and Mcmahon also opened my eyes.

By the time we were in mid-2006, WWE's propaganda no longer worked on me much, I'd say. What about you?

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,176 Posts
The only piece of wwe merch I had was an undertaker T shirt that I got from some jumble sale when I was growing up. First time I wore it out I got the the piss taken out of me for wearing it (fair enough really) and that was it. Never considered wearing anymore of their crap and my fashion sense continues to be much improved.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only piece of wwe merch I had was an undertaker T shirt that I got from some jumble sale when I was growing up. First time I wore it out I got the the piss taken out of me for wearing it (fair enough really) and that was it. Never considered wearing anymore of their crap and my fashion sense continues to be much improved.
That's funny, because my first and only WWE t-shirt that I bought to this day was also an Undertaker t-shirt. My brother ordered it only for me from WWE's European online shop. This was in early 2005.

I don't believe I still have it since I haven't seen it in YEARS and never worn it much anyway. It said Original Deadman and also Nobody's Safe iirc.

I didn't get made fun for it, though. A classmate of mine in school was a big WWE fan and was jealous of my Taker shirt.

...and I can't believe I wore my Undertaker t-shirt to school in one of the days of my 9th grade exams. Weird to think of it. Taking a Portuguese or Mathematics(don't remember which one) exam while wearing an Undertaker t-shirt hahaha

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,176 Posts
That's funny, because my first and only WWE t-shirt that I bought to this day was also an Undertaker t-shirt. My brother ordered it only for me from WWE's European online shop. This was in early 2005.

I don't believe I still have it since I haven't seen it in YEARS and never worn it much anyway. It said Original Deadman and also Nobody's Safe iirc.

I didn't get made fun for it, though. A classmate of mine in school was a big WWE fan and was jealous of my Taker shirt.

...and I can't believe I wore my Undertaker t-shirt to school in one of the days of my 9th grade exams. Weird to think of it. Taking a Portuguese or Mathematics(don't remember which one) exam while wearing an Undertaker t-shirt hahaha
growing up, I was always slightly behind on the trends, you remember how things were cool one day and hugely uncool the next? well I was always buying stuff just as the fad was ending.

wwe was massively popular in my school for a couple of years, everyone liked it, then as time went on it started fading and thats when I took it upon myself to wear this shirt. Suddenly it was like "why are you wearing that crap?"

there was also these superdry coats that were fashionable for a while, everyone wore them. Soon as I bought mine, the fad was over and I was wearing a £75 coat that was now uncool. These days, I just wear what I like but back then it was a constant battle to fit in.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
growing up, I was always slightly behind on the trends, you remember how things were cool one day and hugely uncool the next? well I was always buying stuff just as the fad was ending.

wwe was massively popular in my school for a couple of years, everyone liked it, then as time went on it started fading and thats when I took it upon myself to wear this shirt. Suddenly it was like "why are you wearing that crap?"

there was also these superdry coats that were fashionable for a while, everyone wore them. Soon as I bought mine, the fad was over and I was wearing a £75 coat that was now uncool. These days, I just wear what I like but back then it was a constant battle to fit in.
Ah well, WWE was pretty hot here from 2004 to 2007, so I was still in the fad at the time. But it's not like I began liking it because it was a fad. I started watching it during Summer holidays, a time of the year where I wasn't in contact with other kids around my age, so I had no idea if anyone else around my age at the time was watching it.

There were always anti-wrestling people who thought it was too fake and lame and laughed at the fact a lot of people liked it, but it wasn't until I was 16-17 or so that it sorta became taboo to admit to your peers that you still watched it. By that age, a lot of people stopped watching and began seeing it as thing kids watch. And as something that made you look like an uncool virgin. And this was at a time where WWE was still TV-14 and was coming out of 2006, its edgiest year since the end of the Attitude Era. So I could only imagine if a HS student publicly admitted to watch wrestling these days.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Probably in mid to late 2001 after they totally and completely fucked the Invasion Angle.
Ever since then I wasn't quite as high on WWF/E as I used to be.
The Montreal Screwjob and the way Vince/WWF and his cronies/top wrestlers reacted when they killed Owen Hart due to negligence. To this very day, I recite a prayer whenever Owen is mentioned or something reminds me of him.

The straw that broke the camel's back was when the company made Ambrose say those horrible things about Reigns' illness in a promo. I haven't watched a show ever since as it was in such poor taste.

·
Registered
15,836 Posts
Never fully drank the kool-aid... but then I was lucky enough to be born in and exposed to the tail end of the territory era with the NWA/WCW and AWA (just barely still kicking around) and the booming WWF, where you already heard rumblings of Vince's shady side. This also means I had to live through the Mantaurs and the Dumpsters of the New Generation era. So even before the Montreal Screwjob, I never really bought into the propaganda by Vince. It's only gotten worse the more shit he does.

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
2,664 Posts
By the time we were in mid-2006, WWE's propaganda no longer worked on me much, I'd say. What about you?
Sorry to say that, but you move that discussion from the very beginning into the wrong direction by "stop buying" or propaganda. TV shows are 95% fictitious, but many years ago the people took every new TV format "real" and called the police or whatever. It is the same with magicians and wrestling. There is no reason they tell the audience again and again, that everything is a show. Imagine "Friends" had ended everytime with J.Aniston telling people, how much she hate some people on the set. :)

Without the internet, wrestling companies could build up kayfabe again and again and many people would accept it. Just every few years some newspaper would step down into the swamp to "expose" the business. With the internet, every human being with access will find out within a few seconds. You cannot even try to pretend(!) to stay kayfabe in this forum, because some wise ass thinks he needs to enlighten you. Damn, you even got idiots sitting at live events throwing their smark-shit out.

·
Registered
459 Posts
2014 was the first time I would start turning RAW off early because I was getting tired of the complacency and it has now got to the point where I do not even watch RAW and Smackdown and just catch up on YouTube clips which is enough for me.
I would still subscribe for the big 4 pay per views but this year I even gave Wrestlemania and SummerSlam a miss.

So many reasons being...
Repetitive complacent programming
Weak champions
The Saudi Arabia propaganda
Half day marathons pay per views
No build to pay per views and thrown together in a week big shows
Reality tv obsession
Obsessing over people's love lives
A joke 24/7 title mockery of pro wrestling ala the rollup championship
Dreadful commentary and unbearable to listen to Corey Graves
Borefests like Baron Corbin and Lacey Evans in main event programs for months
The ridiculous Wild Card rule.

The product just barely does anything for me and is not worth the amount of time they expect us to invest in it.
I would love to recapture that enjoyment and passion again but I don't see it happening anytime soon because WWE are so stuck within a formula for years that just turns me off completely.

·
Training to be a Grappler
2,318 Posts
The Montreal Screwjob and the way Vince/WWF and his cronies/top wrestlers reacted when they killed Owen Hart due to negligence. To this very day, I recite a prayer whenever Owen is mentioned or something reminds me of him.

The straw that broke the camel's back was when the company made Ambrose say those horrible things about Reigns' illness in a promo. I haven't watched a show ever since as it was in such poor taste.
Those are like 20 years apart....

You lasted longer than I did man, good job

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,209 Posts
I still like to watch WWE, but when I started watching as a kid, Nitro had just hit the air, and it was my opinion that even before the nWo angle, Nitro was on a lot of nights comparable to superior to WWF/WWE. There's a reason Nitro beat WWF in the ratings for around 2 years straight. I also would see ECW PPVs and tapings from older people and remember thinking they were pretty cool, too. So even when I was really young I was cognizant that professional wrestling wasn't just WWF/WWE, and that I could and would still watch WWE, but spend time watching other wrestling too, and like it just as much. In the heyday of ROH and the periods of time when TNA/Impact was hot as well, I'd usually keep up with those 3 as best as I could, and most of the time wind up preferring them to RAW and Smackdown. I usually enjoyed Smackdown as much as RAW if not more so, and some years of time, the gap in quality between even RAW and Smackdown is pretty considerable in my opinion. So far as thinking RAW is the best thing in wrestling, for a long time in the past 20 years I haven't even liked it the most just from the shows WWE does. Every now and again I really get into WWE's C show, I really was keen on Superstars for quite some time. They'd always have some really great matches with people like Goldust, Trent Beretta, Ted DiBiase Jr. and the other people that weren't making the main shows, and you could really tell they were going out there with more liberty in the ring and with something to prove, and I wound up liking a lot of those matches. Three hour RAW is when I soured on WWE, as well as their oversaturation of PPV style events. There was a period of time where WWE was running over 20 PPV style events every year.

Now I think less is more and don't want to spend so much time watching any individual wrestling show. My favorite wrestling show now is Major League Wrestling/MLW. Very sincere, bread and butter, meat and potatoes wrestling stuff, but I like it. All the keeping kayfabe, old school stuff (running a blindness angle to a point where somebody is wearing black sunglasses and thanking his fans for all their well-wishing that he HAS READ TO HIM! :mark:) and its bing, bang, boom. Get in, get out, you can watch it on Youtube in 45 minutes and they've got 3 stories I'm really keen on (Teddy Hart feuding with The Dynasty, Contra Unit, Mance Warner against LA Park and Selina). It feels like they do more stuff that I am interested in 45 minutes than WWE does in HOURS.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
I always thought WWF/E was shit, it's just that in previous eras there were a few talents that somehow managed to rise above the drek that Vince McMahon loves and actually be entertaining. Austin vs McMahon was good enough that I could tolerate Choppy-Choppy Pee-Pee; modern day WWE does not have anything good enough to mitigate the utter bullshit we get every week.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts