Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the discussion in regards to "The Greatest Intercontinental Champion Of All Time," it made me ask myself when did the Intercontinental Title start losing its value? Was it because there were too many titles at one point (European Championship) or did a certain wrestler win the title that you think caused the belt to lose value? What do you think? I remember watching The Godfather winning the belt in the late 90's and it made me feel like the belt lost value ever since.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
I don't think ti lost value until the last few years, it was still relevant in 2006, then when I started watching properly again in '09 it had become pointless.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,748 Posts
it fluctuates. nothing PERMANENTLY loses value until it just gets stripped, vacated, and never given to anyone ever again.

just last year, when Jericho and Mysterio were having a great program with it, it had value.

·
Fantasy
14,307 Posts
It lost its value when around 1999-2000-ish when the title was being passed around like a hot potato, i think within a 3 week span, the title went from Val Venis to Road Dogg to Goldust to Godfather and then people Billy Gunn starting holding the title, It slowly started to get credibility again when the likes of Jericho, Orton, Benoit and Jeff Hardy became champ but then once again the title was made a joke when Santino Marella won it.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,025 Posts
I agree with Just1988 tbh. It only seemed to lose value the last few years. After 2006 or 2007 the I.C title was basically given to any old joe and it wouldn't be defended at all, and the only time it was defended was when it was getting dropped to someone else, who would go on to hold it but not defend it until the next guy won it. Same with the US championship as well.

However I like to think both the I.C/US championships have been given a breath of fresh air in the last year. Before the Miz won the US Championship, it was the centre of fueds. But Miz taking it, has no caused it to drop. I just hope Daniel Bryan or Bryan Danielson wins the title off him, because he'll be a fighter Champion and defend it once more and bring some prestigue back. The I.C title is doing well on Smackdown as well, because it's also being defended reguarly and also because it's the focus of fueds such as the one between Dolph and Kofi

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts
I think the title lost all it's credibility when Santino won it, then it regained it's credibility when Rey & Jericho feuded over it but once again sunk back down with the Morrison/McIntyre feud

·
Registered
267 Posts
Have to agree with people who have already said it, the title meant nothing after the rey and jericho feud over it.

Since then its just been a pointless trinket.

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, it lost all value in 2001-2002. I had this in mind, but I'm doing some research to get my dates right lol.

- At Survivor Series 2001, it was unified with the WCW United States Championship.
- On July 22, 2002 it was unified with the WWE European Championship.
- On August 26, 2002 it was unified with the WWE Hardcore Championship.
- At No Mercy 2002, it was unified with the World Heavyweight Championship.

All of these unifications really lost it's value, in my opinion. And when it was deactivated, it became completely irrelevant. As far as I'm concerned, the title Austin created at Judgment Day 2003 was not the Intercontinental Championship.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
either;

When Shelton lost to Triple H before New Years Revolution

when guys like Carlito were seemingly never gonna win the big one and guys like Batista and Brock were going on to winning the big one without it, even though that's what the ic title is for

when the US title was abundantly filling that void, xenophobia much?

when it was ALWAYS opening shows or being left off them completely

IF NOTHING ELSE THEN IT WAS DEFINATELY WHEN,

U-Manga went for the WWE title before the ic title when it seemed perfect for him

or when U-Manga lost it to a nobody from the audience who then went on to be WWEs new Italian Stallion.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, it lost all value in 2001-2002. I had this in mind, but I'm doing some research to get my dates right lol.

- At Survivor Series 2001, it was unified with the WCW United States Championship.
- On July 22, 2002 it was unified with the WWE European Championship.
- On August 26, 2002 it was unified with the WWE Hardcore Championship.
- At No Mercy 2002, it was unified with the World Heavyweight Championship.

All of these unifications really lost it's value, in my opinion. And when it was deactivated, it became completely irrelevant. As far as I'm concerned, the title Austin created at Judgment Day 2003 was not the Intercontinental Championship.
Man, I never realized how many times the IC title has been unified. If anything, I would think that would make the title stronger.

Anyway, the title gained back it's credibility in the awesome Mysterio/Jericho feud last year and I thought that credibility was holding decent during Mysterio's feud with Dolph Ziggler. I think that it also still meant something when Mysterio/Morrison had an awesome match for it with Morrison taking the title, but after that, it seemed to have dropped in value as it had no feuds being built around it. The Ziggler/Kingston rivalry right now is not too bad, but we'll see how it ends.

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
Man, I never realized how many times the IC title has been unified. If anything, I would think that would make the title stronger.
My dad said the same thing, but I look at it like this: unifying it with a WCW United States title that didn't (at the time) belong in the WWF and a European title that meant nothing could only decrease it's value. The Hardcore title was fun for a while after the 24/7 rule, and I was very sad to see it go. But the Intercontinental Championship was supposed to be the number two title in the company, the "stepping stone to bigger things", which we've always heard. I just always felt that unifying it with other titles decreased the value and the history of the championship.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Chyna

1 - 20 of 32 Posts