Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMO it was after Suvivor Series 2001, when Team WWF beat the Alliance and put WCW out for good. For some reason everything felt different after that.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
When I was watching it live, I kinda thought it was when they changed from WWF to WWE. Looking back at the footage though, anything from early 2002 just feels different for whatever reason, it's probably around when the Alliance storyline ended.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
It gradually transitioned:

Late 1999
Vince Russo jumps ship. The pioneer of rapid heel turns, countless segments and angles, characters, short matches and regular title changes.

Shortly afterwards WWF looses a number sponsors due to backlash from all the edginess. They promise to tone things down. Characters Val Venis and The Godfather are gradually toned down.

Late 2000
Russo replacement Chris Kreski is replaced by Stephanie McMahon. The 'Who hit Austin' angle is the first of many angles to disappoint and the product goes on cruise control, although many don't realise for some time.

WrestleMania XVII
Austin turns heel and joins forces with his nemesis at the end of a great PPV, held shortly after WCW and ECW go out of business (aka the end of the wrestling war).

Survivor Series 2001
WWF puts the final nail in the coffin of WCW after a six month Vince McMahon ego trip. During this time the product is based around in-ring action in contrast to segments.

Ruthless Aggression - June 2002
Vince officially announces a new era. It isn't much different in many respects to 2000 - 2001. They still try controversy (e.g. Billy & Chuck, Katie Vick, Hot Lesbian Action).

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Draft 2002, new show concept, new rosters, new set, new GMs, etc. That was the biggest change. WM17 was the peak of wrestling history with the greatest match of all time, then the Invasion storyline with Rock and Vince closing SVS 2001 as the symbol of the official end.

However the real end of an era moment was WM19, Rock and Austin in the ring after the match for one final, emotional moment to officially close the greatest chapter in the history of the business.

·
Registered
791 Posts
It gradually transitioned:

Late 1999
Vince Russo jumps ship. The pioneer of rapid heel turns, countless segments and angles, characters, short matches and regular title changes.

Shortly afterwards WWF looses a number sponsors due to backlash from all the edginess. They promise to tone things down. Characters Val Venis and The Godfather are gradually toned down.

Late 2000
Russo replacement Chris Kreski is replaced by Stephanie McMahon. The 'Who hit Austin' angle is the first of many angles to disappoint and the product goes on cruise control, although many don't realise for some time.

WrestleMania XVII
Austin turns heel and joins forces with his nemesis at the end of a great PPV, held shortly after WCW and ECW go out of business (aka the end of the wrestling war).

Survivor Series 2001
WWF puts the final nail in the coffin of WCW after a six month Vince McMahon ego trip. During this time the product is based around in-ring action in contrast to segments.

Ruthless Aggression - June 2002
Vince officially announces a new era. It isn't much different in many respects to 2000 - 2001. They still try controversy (e.g. Billy & Chuck, Katie Vick, Hot Lesbian Action).

Why do you think it was a disappointment? Just curious.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
I'd say WrestleMania 17. Everything from then until the brand split in 2002 I view as a transitional period.

Brand split in 2002 - WrestleMania 21 = Ruthless Aggression Era
WrestleMania 21 - Present = Cena/PG Era

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Why do you think it was a disappointment? Just curious.
When Rikishi was revealed as the driver, it was like what the f**k. But not in a good way and they tried to add a racist aspect with 'I did it for The Rock'. Then it became (predictably) another starring role for super over Triple H, and culminated with him being dropped 50 feet only to return a couple of weeks later in great condition. That was ridiculous even for wrestling.

Nobody got any exposure, apart from Rikishi who was very popular and didn't need a heel turn. Even worse, Austin and Triple H were friends six months later and Rikish was fan favourite again for some reason!

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Draft 2002, new show concept, new rosters, new set, new GMs, etc. That was the biggest change. WM17 was the peak of wrestling history with the greatest match of all time, then the Invasion storyline with Rock and Vince closing SVS 2001 as the symbol of the official end.

However the real end of an era moment was WM19, Rock and Austin in the ring after the match for one final, emotional moment to officially close the greatest chapter in the history of the business.
This, i've always said that for one era to end another needs to begin and the new era was The Ruthless Aggression Era which started with the draft , split rosters, seperate General Manager's and single brand PPV's.

·
Registered
14,605 Posts
Wrestlemania 17 when Austin turned heel and Jim Ross mouthed these epic works:

"Things will never be the same again" And they haven't been.

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
When Rikishi was revealed as the driver, it was like what the f**k. But not in a good way and they tried to add a racist aspect with 'I did it for The Rock'. Then it became (predictably) another starring role for super over Triple H, and culminated with him being dropped 50 feet only to return a couple of weeks later in great condition. That was ridiculous even for wrestling.

Nobody got any exposure, apart from Rikishi who was very popular and didn't need a heel turn. Even worse, Austin and Triple H were friends six months later and Rikish was fan favourite again for some reason!
Still don't know what they were thinking. Rikishi of all people? I understand wanting him to be a big (literally) heel, the likes of Yokozuna. But to waste a storyline a year in the making on someone like him was just foolish.

I mean, we all thought it was Triple H at one time. Why wouldn't it be? He was the only man in the WWF at the time that was that sadistic, that evil, that would run down someone in a car and not give a damn about them. I guess at the same time, Triple H didn't really have a lot to gain from it by No Mercy 2000, since he had already become a dominant heel.

An upper carder who had yet to crack the main event, like Jericho maybe? Anyone other than Rikishi could have worked out.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Ye like other the AE for me ended when WWF changed to WWE and The draft in 2002.

For me 2002 and 2003 were good years and better than the shit we have today.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts