Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Other (please state other things)

Votes: 2 5.7%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is still to debate in this day and many debate how did it started or what so now. I think the beginning of the Attitude Era when Austin first won his first WWF Championship from Shawn Micheals at Wrestlemania 14.

·
Registered
15,835 Posts
Re: When did the Attitude Era began?

97 was clearly the year it started. I can see some debates, but for me it was the double turn at WM13 that was the herald and once DX was in full swing there was no mistaking a new era was in play.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

All of the above factors came into play. Montreal got the ball rolling though, I think.

·
Registered
15,835 Posts

Well DX isn't the only one isn't it?
But they were THE reason McMahon allowed it. With HBK pushing back so hard and doing it even when McMahon hated it... DX was the reason he let up and the AE flourished. He learned the crowd wanted what DX was selling and finally started giving the crowd that. So he isn't wrong that DX was the actual start.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
i say it really started in Wm13 with Austin/Bret...the whole product became edgier and it slowly built-up with new direction but AE officially started in WM14. Bret/Austin fued had all the element what you call it Attitude but by 98 WWE turn the volume high went TV14...

is not HBK, it's really Austin promo King Of The Ring 96 which broke all the rule that's why WWE became edgier...Shawn/Nash telling Vince going different direction with adult oriented product but Vince rejected the idea not until "Stone Cold" comes in and change everything...in Jerry The King book he said Vince sent a memo to everyone that nobody allow to use any foul language other than Steve Austin. IF Austin do the thing what Shawn do the thing that he got fine will be different, Austin will not get fined or trouble doing it because of freedom he got. that's kind of gay what Shawn is doing..telling JR and the guys to suck it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'd say the roots of it trace all the way back to Austin's time in ECW in 1995. Regardless of when it started, my favorite years were 1996-1999. Everything sort of had a rougher feel to it, with the different brands competing for the top spot.

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
The right answer is a raw promo with Vince sometime in 97 (I think it was 97) that had him say that the WWE were going to be a lot more 'Raw' and have 'Attitude' and embark into a new era. Other big moments like Austin 3:16 or DX or Screwjob and etc. were big moments that pushed it further and huge milestones in the era but the era already began.

A thread like this got closed yesterday.

edit Found it

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
The right answer is a raw promo with Vince sometime in 97 (I think it was 97) that had him say that the WWE were going to be a lot more 'Raw' and have 'Attitude' and embark into a new era. Other big moments like Austin 3:16 or DX or Screwjob and etc. were big moments that pushed it further and huge milestones in the era but the era already began.

A thread like this got closed yesterday.

edit Found it

Yeah, it aired on December 15, 1997 and this was also the first episode to use the scratch logo.

·
Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
6,866 Posts
Pretty much Vince announcing that we will see more attitude.

Stone Cold pinning Shawn Michaels was a turning point too.

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
depends some say KOTR 1996
others say Mania 14 when Austin won the belt.
I say when Vince did that promo on Raw at the end of 1997 and when they changed the logo to the scratch logo

·
Registered
193 Posts
WWE considered KOTR in their DVD Monday Night Wars

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
it started from Austin/Bret but started with "Stone Cold" in and officially stated in 98 where everyone have Attitude. forgot about "Pillman's got a gun" angle with Steve Austin in 96? in Jan Shotgun they show clip of Sunny having sex with tickle me Elmo(what you considered it as sex tape)...as Austin/Bret fued develop, Austin calling Gorilla Monsoon/Vince "the promotion owner" a jackass and get on their face, pretty much Anti-autority already. during Austin/bret fued it had so many element and bit n pieces of what you call it Attitude era. it was edgy but the volume still down.

HBK doing the chop thing was way after the whole Attitude started to catchup on October...an Era started around that time also

without Austin, the whole deal with Attitude era may not taken and it will take even longer because Vince doesn't considered change to edgy product not until Austin 3:16 appeared at King of the Ring 96...hard to imagine how they going to start because Stone Cold and Attitude era as One which makes tones of money for vince. Austin is the last card on the deck up against WCW...Vince have tried Shawn but failed.

looking back in 96 it was fucking PG rated and it was edgy -great booking unlike today Cena era just like Hogan era with cartoon characters family-kids oriented.

we can say that Vince announcement pretty much Officially started of Attitude era but it started before that with the volume down.

·
Premium Member
44,377 Posts
I would say it started at some point when DX was created. That seemed to be the point where the whole "attitude" of the time period was completely ushered in.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
It wasn't Dec of 97, that is practically 1998, and the Attitude ERa would last 3 years using that logic, and it's false. Vince changed the logo and made that statement over events that had already been happening in WWE. It was King of the Ring 1996, with Austin's speech. Two weeks after that, Hogan went heel, WCW started kicking ass, and Vince took the kid gloves off and soon found himself with the 2nd highest rated wrestling TV show. I have no idea why people here are trying to change history all of a sudden, but it began with Austin's speech. Austin began to change, fans began to cheer for an "anti hero" for the first time, and from there the Attitude grew.

WWE considered KOTR in their DVD Monday Night Wars
Yeap. I wonder how long til some of these people start thinking the PG era began during 2001.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts