Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a tough one to pinpoint. My guess is that his time as a full-time performer ended in October 2015. Correct me if I'm wrong but even though it had been 14 months at that point since he was last champion (Summerslam 2014) he was still on tv every week and on every house show right?

I remember he came back after injury for like two weeks in December 2015 before getting injured again and leaving. When he came back in Spring 2016, was he still doing the regular house show circuit or was mostly just on tv at that point?

With guys like The Rock, it's very clear cut when he went from full-time to part-time. With Cena, it's a lot more iffy.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
17,921 Posts
I'd say about 2015.

Between getting destroyed by Lesnar at SS14 and the whole US title run. It's crazy to think it's been nearly 5 years since that Lesnar match and 4 years since Cena hasn't really been seen as the main top guy of the company. Time flies.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts

He took time off to film something in late 2015 (when he lost the United States Championship to Del Rio) and then came back in early 2016 only to get immediately injured. And then once he returned from injury, he was pretty much a part timer from that point forward. And from 2017 onward, his appearances starting becoming less and less frequent and now he barely shows up much at all.

·
The Fresh Prince Is Back On His Throne!
11,553 Posts
The match against Del Rio, I think at Hell in a Cell 2015 was the end of his last long term full time run. 2016 was a bit blurred because he was out with an injury for a while, but it became obvious after Summerslam 2016 he was done with being full time.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Cena is solid but his act is very tired.

·
Registered
14,176 Posts
People like you are why the ratings are way down. Cena is one of the only stars left. I absolutely miss him and hope he returns and wins a title again
WWE leadership is why the ratings are down. one man saying he's glad Cena is gone is not why the ratings are down.

I don't know where that "Becky doesn't draw blah blah" thread was merged into but it has a very nice chart detailing the steady falling of WWE's ratings LONG before Cena left/slowed down.

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
The day Roman reigns walked in the room. The moment he entered the room everything became slow motion. Vince found himself gazing at his long flowing hair, his broad shoulders and chiseled jaw and gaze made his stomach explode with butterflies. He walked up to Vince and in a deep voice he said "hi, I'm Joe but my friends call me Roman. I'm 6ft 3, 265 pounds, I'm Samoan and a distant relative of the rock" Vince then proceeded to sweep his desk of his John Cena pictures and merchandise and said in a pleading hungry tone "ravish me" the scene fades away until we hear OOOOOOOOOOOOAHHHHHH. Thus the romantic sordid love affair of Voman began.

An exert from Vince McMahons Tumblr account

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
I hope Cena goes completely. He represented the worse of WWE locker room culture:

- Bullied rookies
- Buried potential superstars
- Nepotism
- Numerous accusations of affairs with female colleagues
- Hypocrite

·
Registered
587 Posts
I hope Cena goes completely. He represented the worse of WWE locker room culture:

- Bullied rookies
- Buried potential superstars
- Nepotism
- Numerous accusations of affairs with female colleagues
- Hypocrite
How in the world does Cena represent nepotism? I swear that term has gotten so trendy on here, that people just throw it at everything they don't like.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
How in the world does Cena represent nepotism? I swear that term has gotten so trendy on here, that people just throw it at everything they don't like.
Nikki Bella: "Joooooooohhhhnnnnn!! Paige and AJ are threatening to become more popular than us. Do something Joooohhhhnnnn!

Cena: Yes dear!

Its a fact that Cena kept the Bella's on top of the female card despite their botches, low ring capability and unpopularity with the crowd!

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
I cant totally remember but I think it was probably around 2015 when he was US champion.

Its pretty much too late now and wouldnt have the impact it wouldve done in 2012 but I will be happy to have a dr of thuganomics heel run. He showed more character and edge in that short mania segment than he has done for the whole of the past 15 years. Its a damn shame that he got so watered down and sterilised.

Cena in his "I respect you and believe in you" mode is the most pretentious, boring and grating bullshit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts