Votes: 63 57.3%
  • no

Votes: 47 42.7%
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Perry Karavello
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cena has been a poster child for pandering, being PG, and hated among smarks and older fans.

I get the feeling that as big as he is with this gimmick, when he retires and WWE pushes him as a legend and all that, that fans, who watched through his career, will never regard him in the same category as guys like Flair, Hogan, Nash, HHH, Rocky, SCSA, HBK, and even guys like Edge, Christian, Angle, blah, blah.

Do you guys think that if he retires without turning heel, or changing his deal, he'll always be regarded less seriously than guys who have?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
When Cena retires we might actually be able to get a balanced, entertaining and decent show.

Until then everything (other wrestlers, storylines etc) will orientate around desperately trying to make him popular with the fans.

The guy is a poison.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Cena has been a poster child for pandering, being PG, and hated among smarks and older fans.

I get the feeling that as big as he is with this gimmick, when he retires and WWE pushes him as a legend and all that, that fans, who watched through his career, will never regard him in the same category as guys like Flair, Hogan, Nash, HHH, Rocky, SCSA, HBK, and even guys like Edge, Christian, Angle, blah, blah.

Do you guys think that if he retires without turning heel, or changing his deal, he'll always be regarded less seriously as guys who have?
As an older fan I just think that Cena's major problem is that he is the top guy in a very weak era of sorts. If Cena were in any other relatively strong era I just do not think that he would stand out. Cena will probably never rival Hogan, Rocky or Austin. Flair has too much wrestling tradition and history/lore that overshadows Cena. Even HBK might be more memorable due to his epic matches. Cena just has no good wrestlers to be a rival with. And that is not because Cena is so dominant but rather because Cena is the standout wrestler amongst a weak field.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Here's a question do people view Bob Backlund in the same light as Hogan/Flair/SCSA/Rock,etc? Now I do believe that Cena after he retires will be regarded in the same category as guys who were popular but didn't quite make it to that very top level that the Hogan's and Austin's did.

If Cena stays in good standing with WWE, then after he retires they will definitely go all out on a propaganda campaign to portray Cena as one of those top tier legends.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I feel like once he's gone everyone will like him more. That seems to be the common thing to do. I don't know if that will put him into the upper echelon with... "Real" legends, but we'll see

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
Cena will be remembered as the number 1 guy who had no competition for the longest period of time,even more than Hogan.
That being said,he will never be number 1.
He will be number 4 or may join the holy trinity of Austin,Hogan and Rock.

Cena has everything in his favor when he retires-Longevity,Loyalty,Epic feuds,A possible heel turn,Crowd reactions and more importantly drawing power.

Some say Cena is in a weak era and he may not survive in AE.What If's doesnt matter.Even my favorite wrestler Austin wont survive in this era.My second favorite Rock would look ridiculous in this era with his meaningless catchphrases,pandering to the crowd and shitty crowds that doesn't react.You can compare a wrestler to his competition and Cena has been a number 1 star at a time when others like Batista,Orton,Punk,Jericho,Hbk,Taker,HHH etc were present.UFC champion Brock picked him as his opponent.Even the legendary Rock picked him as his opponent.

Love him or hate him,Cena is one of the biggest star ever already and will surely be number 4 when he retires

·
Banned
317 Posts
We older fans may not see him as a legend, but pls try to regard younger fans.

Come to think of it, this is something why the IWC has yet to make a HUGE impact in the wrestling industry- ignorance for younger fans.

So you hate lil jimmys? Guess what, they're enjoying the product more than you do lolololololol

·
Banned
317 Posts
Love him or hate him,Cena is one of the biggest star ever already and will surely be number 4 when he retires
Maybe number 4 in the WWE.
But in the world of pro wrestling, he may not even be in the top 10, as of now.
Again, he has yet to either turn heel or undergo a character tweak, then he may even exceed the Undertaker.

·
Perry Karavello
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
We older fans may not see him as a legend, but pls try to regard younger fans.

Come to think of it, this is something why the IWC has yet to make a HUGE impact in the wrestling industry- ignorance for younger fans.

So you hate lil jimmys? Guess what, they're enjoying the product more than you do lolololololol
I do mean people above the age where you grew up with Cena, old enough to remember the attitude, WCW and all, obviously the older the Cena fans get, the more kids that come in, the less older fans there are, the less hate he'll get.

The IWC, generally, is comprised of those who aren't kids, so obviously we'll have different opinions. (Not that I'm saying the IWC isn't prone to being dramatic, loving to hate, and hating the mainstream)

Also, kids probably do enjoy the product more than I do, as I probably did more than those older than me when I was a kid, but I don't hate kids, and even if you do, it doesn't change anything.

It's like saying, "You hate HHH fans? Well guess what, they're enjoying this HHH match more than you" Well, of course.

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
Maybe number 4 in the WWE.
But in the world of pro wrestling, he may not even be in the top 10, as of now.
Again, he has yet to either turn heel or undergo a character tweak, then he may even exceed the Undertaker.
Surely Cena will exceed Taker when he retires.
Taker fans point out to his longevity of almost 18-20 years as a star.But even if Cena retires around 2017,Cena would be bigger with 15 years in business.Cena has already been top star since 2005.Taker is more of a supporting cast to Hogan,Bret,Austin,Lesnar,Batista.Never the top draw.

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
Is John Cena a legend?

I don't get it all

I have read some posts saying Cena ain't a legend.I can't understand it.He is the biggest draw outside the holy trinity(Austin,Hogan and Rock),been top star for 8 years running,has had some epic feuds yet people say he ain't a draw

I can understand when people say someone like Rock or Hogan is legend but can't understand when someone like Taker or Hbk is called legend while Cena ain't called one.Hbk puts great matches,that's about all-not a draw,dick in real life.Taker had longevity and puts up great matches at WM for since 2005.

Cena puts up 5 star matches,has memorable feuds with Edge,Rock,Orton,Punk and Brock

Why?

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Cena will never be top 10 because that list is already locked, there will never be another boom period or bigger stars. Cena for years was nothing more than a poor man's version of Rock and Hogan as mainstream stars. Everything he tried to do bombed, he's the face of the business in the worst era in wrestling history and represents everything that's wrong about it, simple. He's not legendary or iconic, he's there, just like he always, the most forced thing in the history of the business. He's not getting any respect no matter how many video packages they're going to make for him.

·
Banned
317 Posts
Re: Is John Cena a legend?

Google "symbolic interpretive approach", and you'll understand why it all goes down to how u view Cena.

Seriously, enough with this "how I question Cena's legacy" threads; you're getting more annoying that Cena haters.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Here's a question do people view Bob Backlund in the same light as Hogan/Flair/SCSA/Rock,etc? Now I do believe that Cena after he retires will be regarded in the same category as guys who were popular but didn't quite make it to that very top level that the Hogan's and Austin's did.

If Cena stays in good standing with WWE, then after he retires they will definitely go all out on a propaganda campaign to portray Cena as one of those top tier legends.
Good comparison. Cena will be roughly equal to Bob Backlund when its all said and done. While it is historic I'm not so sure its legendary.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Cena's a legend. You can talk about "he has 5 moves" or "he's too corny", but how many great main events has he put on? It's like a who's who list: HHH, Orton, Batista, HBK, Lesnar, The Rock, Jericho, Edge, Punk. You don't fall into that by accident. No body carried him either. Yeah, he's worked with some really good guys during the years, but do you think you pull decent matches with rookie main eventers like Barrett and Miz on accident. I'm not saying GREAT but you're not gonna throw a inexperienced guy out there with someone who doesn't know how to carry a show.

Cena will turn heel one day. It's just the nature of the business. He's going to be around a long time. Eventually, he's gonna do what Austin and Hogan did and go up to the guy in charge and say, "You know what, my character's gotten stale... I wanna try something new".

Also people look back at stuff with rose tinted glasses and say stuff was great. Example, some of us might complain about this era, but in 10 years we'll say "I wasn't the biggest fan of this point in time but the roster was stacked" or "Remember Mania 28?, Punk vs Jericho, Rock vs Cena, Kane vs Orton, HHH vs Taker II... that was one hell of a card."

I'll give you a better example, Mania 12. Bret and HBK went an hour. That's classic. I bet at the time, people was like "Hart and Shawn are taking up an hour?" when really they were damn near the only 2 guys on the roster.

·
Registered
128 Posts
He is the legend and noone can deny that i would say he's in line of gr8s like Austin,hogan,rock

1 - 20 of 59 Posts