Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In wrestling we always hear the term dream match up, matches that we'd like to see but for one reason or another usually won't be able to see. In sports what would be your ultimate dream match up? I have a lot but will list the one's I'd like to see for my 3 favorite sports:

MLB: 1927 New York Yankees vs 1962 New York Mets- OK this isn't really a even contest. Those '27 Yankees are the greatest team ever while the '62 Mets are one of the worst teams ever and set a record for suckage (40-120 record) but I'm a big Yankees fan and hate the Mets so for selfish reasons I'd enjoy watching the Yankees kill the Mets!

NFL: 2007 New England Patriots vs 1985 Chicago Bears- The '07 Pats are the greatest team I've ever seen, it would've been fun to see them go up against what many think is the greatest, most dominant defense ever.

NBA: 1996 Chicago Bulls vs 2010 Miami Heat- Now I know the Heat haven't even played a game together yet but I still would like to see them go up against an all time great team and the 96 Bulls won the most games ever (72) plus I'd like to see Jordan in his prime vs LeBron in his prime.

What are your dream sporting match ups?

·
Men of Mayhem
7,330 Posts
NBA: 1996 Chicago Bulls vs 2010 Miami Heat- Now I know the Heat haven't even played a game together yet but I still would like to see them go up against an all time great team and the 96 Bulls won the most games ever (72) plus I'd like to see Jordan in his prime vs LeBron in his prime.

Bulls would squash them.

I would have to put a fantasy all-star team together to put up against the 96 Bulls.

Maybe: Howard, Gasol, LeBron, Kobe and Paul. But they would still lose, no cohesiveness.

NHL: I would love to see the late 90's Red Wings own the Avalanche again, for personal reasons. Don't get me wrong, I love the Avalanche now a days, but I was from Hockeytown.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just realized I used the word sporting twice in the thread title oops, anyway I think you're right Near. The Bulls would beat the Heat, they were much deeper and had played together longer.

·
1,817 Posts
1996 England football team vs 2010 England football team- teach them how to win a world cup :rolleyes:

Muhammad ali vs rocky balboa :D

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
Boxing
Muhammad Ali-Mike Tyson
Muhammad Ali-Rocky Marciano

Football
Arsenal 03/04 Vs. Man Utd 98/99
Brazil '70 Vs. Arsenal 03/04

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Bulls would squash them.

I would have to put a fantasy all-star team together to put up against the 96 Bulls.

Maybe: Howard, Gasol, LeBron, Kobe and Paul. But they would still lose, no cohesiveness.

NHL: I would love to see the late 90's Red Wings own the Avalanche again, for personal reasons. Don't get me wrong, I love the Avalanche now a days, but I was from Hockeytown.
I wouldnt really say the Wings "owned" the Avalanche back in the rivalry days (96- very early 2000's)If im not mistaken the Avs actually had won more playoff series head to head. (and 1-1 with 1 no contest in the goalie fights ;))That March 26th (i think) brawl game was the best hockey game ever for me. I wish those days would come back, thats when hockey was so intense here. But the Red Wings will just never have another rivalry like that because the make-up of their roster doesnt allow for it. Too many passive, finesse oriented players with a turn the other cheek style of play. Something like Lemieux-Draper happens today and the Wings will just be satisfied scoring on the powerplay...

·
40,603 Posts
NFL: 2007 New England Patriots vs 1985 Chicago Bears- The '07 Pats are the greatest team I've ever seen, it would've been fun to see them go up against what many think is the greatest, most dominant defense ever.
I don't think the Pats O-Line would stand a chance against the 85 Bears. If they couldn't handle the Giants front four, they have no prayer against the Bears front seven. No chance I say. Chicago's offense would own the Pats suspect defense as well. This won't a be blowout like Super Bowl XX was, but the Bears win easily.

I'd like to the see the 85 Bears vs the 78 Steelers, two teams pretty damn similar and evenly matched. It would be a great game for sure.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Prime Contador versus Prime Arsmtrong at the Tour De France. This would have been great to watch because Contador is one of the only riders to not let Armstrong intimidate him. Arsmtrong would have a strong edge in the time trials but he would have a hell of a task trying to stay with Alberto on the climbs. A lot would depend on the type of course.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Whoop Whoops for the second one!

2002 Brazil squad vs France 2006 Squad
I wasn't that impressed with 2002 Brazil besides Ronaldo of course. If you look at who Brazil had to play to win that tournament it is probably one of the easiest runs of all time. Meanwhile on the other side of the draw South Korea were busy cheating out the opposition. A real, crappy world cup all round. My only joy was getting to see R.Ireland in a major tournament for once but then Roy Keane had to act like a prat and leave the team.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
1927 Yankees vs. the 1998 Yankees
1985 Bears vs. 2000 Baltimore Ravens
1966-67 UCLA vs. 1983-84 Georgetown in college basketball (That would have pitted Lew Alcindor (aka Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) vs. Patrick Ewing
1995-96 Bulls vs. 1985-86 Celtics

·
Banned
18,819 Posts
I wasn't that impressed with 2002 Brazil besides Ronaldo of course. If you look at who Brazil had to play to win that tournament it is probably one of the easiest runs of all time. Meanwhile on the other side of the draw South Korea were busy cheating out the opposition. A real, crappy world cup all round. My only joy was getting to see R.Ireland in a major tournament for once but then Roy Keane had to act like a prat and leave the team.
Ya you ave a point, was their 2006 squad better?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts