Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
I know, it's been a while.
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the thread says, whats your favourite? Either an Original from your club, or a well known one?

Heres a few of mine:

Basically, if you don't f****** bounce than your a blade. (aka Sheff United fan) So everyone bounces :lmao

"We're all Wednesday aren't we OLE OLE!" - Simple but when 20,000 fans sing it, it sounds awesome.

Our opening song to every match HI HO SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY - Sends shivers down my spine!

·
wrap
9,027 Posts
a.k.a. from the sport that really is football, and not a sport in which you only use your foot every once in a while, but play with your hands for the rest of the game

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
This site is run by Vertical Sports. V.S is based out of Toronto and over here we call it soccer. So calling it anything else and going against the local customs would be poor manners and make you a bad guest.

·
wrap
9,027 Posts
If the OP is from an area where the sport is called football(in this case England, though most countries other than the US would also work), than he can call it football. This is a worldwide forum, as in people can join from all different countries. There really is a division for American sports on here and UK/Aussie sports.

·
Registered
21,617 Posts
I'm a big fan of City's chants (although I'm an Arsenal fan) the Balotelli and Yaya-Yaya chants were fantastic and made you want to join in, even though you're not a fan of the club.

·
wrap
9,027 Posts
I enjoy the simple, "Who are ya", but as of relatively recent, I've liked the Peter Crouch chant:

"He’s big, he’s red

His feet stick out the bed

Peter Crouch, Peter Crouch."

·
Ben Wyatt's Low Cal Calzone Zone
5,893 Posts
Amazing to see it only take two posts before the thread descended into football/soccer nonsense.

Being a United fan, the Calypso is without a doubt my favourite song. Great beat and lyrics, just a shame the common trend is to sing it at 100mph and no more than a few times in succession at the minute. Stretford End Arising, WATPOE, Forever & Ever and 12 Cantona's are also great, as are a ton of older classics which are relegated to pubs and coaches. The Carrick, Wes Brown & current Januzaj songs are great chants though.

For FC United, there's a list of great songs. 'Under The Boardwalk', 'Two United's but the soul is one', 'Top of the World' by the Carpenters, 'I wanna be at FC' (soon adopted by a majority of the football league), 'Gonna build our own ground' (Dirty Old Town by the Pogues), 'Consider Yourself FC' from Oliver etc. The 'Bring on United' intro to every match (started as often as 20 minutes before k/o) is also a pretty addictive song that never fails to get going.

This is probably my favourite atm though:

Ignore the pandering video title though.

Also, have to say I have a lot of time for Sheff Weds' support, especially away from home. Always seen and heard them talked about as one of the better supports outside the Premier League, with perhaps only Leeds fancied as a better consistent support away from home. Good songbook, take plenty of big numbers around the country etc. Always thought they were vastly better as a support than Sheff Utd.

·
Its Yer'sel
6,148 Posts
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/feb/23/manchester-city-hulk-unsporting-porto

The opportunity for Manchester City's supporters was too good to pass up. Their team were on their way to a 4-0 win against Porto and the opposition had a striker going by the name of Hulk who was showing signs of frustration. "You're not incredible," the home fans sang.

Porto, however, have not seen the funny side. The Portuguese club are now preparing an official complaint in which they will ask Uefa to open disciplinary charges against the Premier League leaders – and they are denying it has anything to do with an apparent humour bypass.

·
We're all United aren't we?
1,129 Posts
Also, have to say I have a lot of time for Sheff Weds' support, especially away from home. Always seen and heard them talked about as one of the better supports outside the Premier League, with perhaps only Leeds fancied as a better consistent support away from home. Good songbook, take plenty of big numbers around the country etc. Always thought they were vastly better as a support than Sheff Utd.
:scalabrine

I'm a Blade and I'd put both Sheffield clubs support on par with each other, if anything Wednesday are JUST marginally better; definitely not vastly better. Only reason Wednesday's away following is talked about so much is that their fans make a massive song and dance about it whereas we quietly go about our business. Not saying it's all of them but the way some Owls continually bang on about attendances you'd have thought it counted towards points and league position.

We're currently in our third successive season in League One (and trust me, the initial novelty of weekly trips to the likes of Tranmere and Oldham has long worn off), yet still routinely sell out away games and take a big following wherever we go (in our first season down here I remember us filling out 3 sides of the ground AWAY at Bury and also think we took a shade over 7'000 to Milton Keynes, among other exploits).

Anyway in response to the OP you can't beat a good rendition of The Greasy Chip Butty song, particularly when it's belted out properly by 30'000 Blades like it was when we beat Arsenal in the Premiership a few years back (pretty sure I read once this is only one of two games in history where Sky have had to turn off their mics in the crowd during the game because it was so loud).

'1889', 'Barrel of Money' and 'Swinging a Pig' are also personal favourites of mine

http://fanchants.co.uk/football-songs/sheffield_utd-chants/1889/

http://fanchants.co.uk/football-songs/sheffield_utd-chants/barrel-money/

http://fanchants.co.uk/football-songs/sheffield_utd-chants/swingin-a-pig/

The Kolo/Yaya Toure chant mentioned earlier in the thread was good at first but has quickly grown fucking infuriating and to be one of my most hated chants of all time... hear it being sung almost everywhere I go, just give it a rest for fucks sake.

·
Ben Wyatt's Low Cal Calzone Zone
5,893 Posts
Fair enough, I'm just going off of conversations with fans from a few clubs who've had both supports at their gaff and their respective comments about each. Perhaps context needs to be considered, but I've just always heard a lot of praise for Sheff Weds' away following whereas Sheff Utd have been talked highly in some cases, but also panned by others. Obviously context and timing might need more appreciation there, but I'm just going off of conversations with like minded folk who will praise supports regardless of rivalry and team association.

I share similar feelings vis a vis the Kolo song. Won't argue it's not addictive, but it's fallen foul of being regurgitated hopelessly by so many supports up and down the country that it's become tiresome. Same way I can appreciate Parkhead bouncing to Just Can't Get Enough (or Selhurst rocking to We Love You), but will turn my eye when I hear the 44th support singing poor alterations of the originals. I do wish more clubs would attempt more originality in their chants, even something like FC United taking classic songs from The Sex Pistols or The Pogues with their own spin, rather than looking to be a carbon copy of another support.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts