·
alexa = greatest of all time!
Blissy's #1 fan
4,332 Posts
survivor series 99 to 00.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Survivor Series '96 to Survivor Series '97. Give me episodes of Livewire & Shotgun on top of that.
This. It's such an interesting time period for the WWF as they just threw things at the wall hoping they would stick. They seemed to be willing to try anything in the fight against WCW.

For a more modern mention, May 2011-May 2012. You had the Pipe Bomb, Summer Of Punk, the looming storyline with The Rock and his ultimate return, as well as the return of Brock Lesnar.

·
Registered
386 Posts
WWF KOTR `96 to KOTR '97. Shawn being great in the main events with Buldog, Vader even Sid. Bret & Stone Cold with TWO amazing matches at SS & mania. Camp Cornette were great, Brets turn was amazingly well done, so much good stuff.

Plus best run of Sid's career by a country mile.

·
it's a tarp!
6,418 Posts
The year starting from the 1998 Over the Edge PPV into 1999, a time-frame bringing together the best matches, the best feuds, and best versions of the wrestlers.

Generally the best parts of story's, are the origin stories and this 12 month period had them coming out the wazoo.

-The rise of Stone Cold Steve Austin, the baddest of the badasses
-The rise of Vincent Kennedy McMahon, the baddest boss in the Christendom
-The rise of dX under the leadership of The Game
-The fall, then rise of Mankind, the corporate wannabe
-The rise, then fall, then rise again of Kane
-The rise of The Rock, the most charismatic wrestler in wrestling
-And a year of ascension for The Game

And they're just the biggest stars, because everybody was over..
The Godfather, Too Cool, Kenny Shamrock, D'lo, Sable, Sunny, Chyna, TAKA
..hell even the New Age Outlaws and X-Pac, right until the moment Hunter dumped them.

Before continuing it has to be noted that this year had the best skits, the wittiest sharpest dialogue, twists and turns, while being coherent as a whole in both style and structure.

It had my two all time favorite feuds in The Rock vs Triple H and The Rock vs Mankind. and other notable classics such as The Nation vs dX, and the incomparable Austin vs McMahon.

In terms of The Rock alone he was in The Nation, they feuded with dX, he feuded with the Game, he usurped Farooq and became their leader, he turned mega-babyface, he returned mega-heel, he became corporate champion which he then lost, then won, then lost, and then won from Mankind, and finally faced off against Steve at Mania.

The summary does no justice to just how glorious the journey was.

Then there were the matches. 1998 had what I consider the best three-way of all in The Rock/Kenny/Mankind, at Breakdown.

Maybe my favorite Austin match, the pinnacle of sport entertainment Austin/Dude Love, at Over The Edge.

The match that made two hall of famers Triple H/The Rock ladder match, at SummerSlam.

Other notables Austin/Dude Love, at Unforgiven. Rock/Mankind, at Survivor Series. Rock/Mankind, at Rock Bottom, Triple H/Rock, at Fully Loaded.

In 1999 the best matches were dominated by The Rock. The Royal Rumble, I Quit match. The St. Valentine's Day Massacre last man standing match. The Empty Arena match. and of course WrestleMania 15 vs Steve Austin, and the Backlash that followed.

The only negatives were too much Taker, but at least he wasn't putting on clunker after clunker matches at this point. And no Kurt Angle, Edge and Christian or The Hardy Boyz, who would arrive later.

·
Registered
52 Posts
1997 WCW. You have the year long Sting storyline, the fantastic DDP/Savage feud, debuts of Raven and some guy named Bill Goldberg, the emergence of a really solid midcard with Jericho, Benoit, and Eddie Guerrero at the helm, and Luger's surprise win over Hogan. Plus the cruiserweight division was still killing it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Looking at the answers made my choice harder. Some great answers.

Thinking about SummerSlam 91 to SummerSlam 92 I admit that is one of my favorite periods too. It was a twilight year of the Rock N Wrestling Era imo.

I also liked WM 2 to WM 3 time too simply of that being Hogan's prime and you get two legendary heel turns with Orndorff and Andre. Then add in guys like Savage, Steamboat, Jake The Snake, and British Bulldogs in their prime too.

90's I agree with that late 96-late97 or WM 13-14 time period. Series 97 to Series 98 too. Summerslam 97 to SummerSlam 98 reminds of the SummerSlam 91 to SummerSlam 92 vibe in that we witnessed the twilight year of New Generation in comparison with Hart on his way out with Austin coming in to replace him and HBK.

2000 is always a GOAT year contender.

Just from a favorite and reminiscing fun type of answer, it is a toss up between SummerSlam 91 to SummerSlam 92 and SummerSlam 97 to SummerSlam 98. I just like to see the growth or transition of the time of everyone on the cusp of becoming huge stars or on the downside of it for historical reasons.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
June 2000- June 2001:- Rock as champion, the rise of Kurt Angle, midcard consisting of Jericho, Benoit, Guerrero, Edge, Christian, Hardys; Mick Foley as Commissioner; Return of Austin and him having new matches like Austin vs Benoit/Angle/Regal; feuds like Angle vs Benoit, Jericho vs Benoit, Regal vs Jericho; William regal as Commissioner; a tag team division consisting of Hardys, Dudleys and Edge and Christian and their Ladder and TLC matches; fresh matches like Triple H vs Jericho, Triple H vs Benoit, Rock vs Benoit, Rock vs Angle, Triple H vs Angle.

or

July 2011-July 2012:- Summer of Punk; Matches like Punk vs Ziggler, Orton vs Ziggler, Punk vs Alberto del Rio; feuds like Punk vs Cena, Punk vs Jericho, Orton vs Christian; the return of Brock Lesnar; John Laurinaitis' funny segments and promos on Raw, especially with Punk; Daniel Bryan, Sheamus, Wade Barrett, Christian and Orton on Smackdown; Rise of Daniel Bryan; Bryan vs Sheamus; the Punk vs Bryan feud and matches including the triple threat with Kane. Special mention to the in ring work of Dolph Ziggler, and talent like Jack Swagger and Alberto del Rio.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
In Your House: Mind Games (1996) to In Your House: Badd Blood (1997)

Best written 365 days of WWF television IMO, although overall I prefer the roster and feel from the 89-92 era
Yeah there are times in WWF history the feel of the show and roster trumps the creative. I still think the feel of the 80's WWF seemed bigger than the Attitude Era. It came off larger than life and epic more times than not.

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Maybe my favorite Austin match, the pinnacle of sport entertainment Austin/Dude Love, at Over The Edge.
Yeah both of those Austin/Dude Love PPV matches in 1998 were pure gold. The first one where McMahon gets clocked with the chair and his hilarious reaction leading to the Austin win.

Then that second one where Mr McMahon has that brilliant edict of 'This match will end by my hand only'. The two stooges changing the match rules on the fly to stop Austin winning. Taker comes out and destroys the stooges, McMahon gets smashed again and Austin uses Vince's lifeless hand to count the 3.

The finishes to those two great matches were just pitch perfect. It really showed the difference between Mr McMahon and say, The Authority of Steph and HHH years later is Vince knew when and how he would get his comeuppance and get his ass beat and embarrassed.

In that Austin era they were so good at giving the crowd exactly what they wanted.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts