Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you get one promotion to choose from with a one year span that you have stranded on an island. It doesn't have to be a calendar year but it can be something like from August 88 to August 89 NWA for example.

I'm a huge fan of Flair's run in the WWF (GOAT Rumble, pretty solid WM, good Summerslam) so I'm thinking that late 91 > 92 timeframe. However I'm torn because I love Summerslam 91 > if I have to stop at Slams 92 I miss the Perfect face turn angle in 92 which I love. WHAT TO DO! The slams 91 is so much fun so I'll say.

WWF - Summerslam 91 to Summerslam 92.

What say ye?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
WWF August/September 95 to August/September 96. Too lazy to look up exact dates. I know a lot of people hate on this era, but it was probably the peak of my fandom. At the very least this is when my fandom leveled up from "diehard casual" to super duper wrestling-obsessed mega fan.

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another thing for my period of WWF late 91/92 is the commentary team of Gorilla and Brain were on absolute fire. Heenan's unwavering support of Flair was brilliant. Vince and Piper were also great too.

·
Registered
244 Posts
So you get one promotion to choose from with a one year span that you have stranded on an island. It doesn't have to be a calendar year but it can be something like from August 88 to August 89 NWA for example.

I'm a huge fan of Flair's run in the WWF (GOAT Rumble, pretty solid WM, good Summerslam) so I'm thinking that late 91 > 92 timeframe. However I'm torn because I love Summerslam 91 > if I have to stop at Slams 92 I miss the Perfect face turn angle in 92 which I love. WHAT TO DO! The slams 91 is so much fun so I'll say.

WWF - Summerslam 91 to Summerslam 92.

What say ye?
I came in expecting to be the first mentioning that specific period only to realize this period was the inspiration behind this whole thread. The period between Summerslam 91 and Summerslam 92 is my favorite in wrestling history. The roster was stacked and the storylines were captivating

·
Registered
244 Posts
WWF August/September 95 to August/September 96. Too lazy to look up exact dates. I know a lot of people hate on this era, but it was probably the peak of my fandom. At the very least this is when my fandom leveled up from "diehard casual" to super duper wrestling-obsessed mega fan.
This period summer 95 to spring of 96 (hated the hitman to hbk title switch) is runner up only to the Summerslam 91-92 era as my favorite. A lot of cutting edge charactesr debuted with some great vignettes to go along. Waylon Mercy,.Goldust, Steve Austin, Mankind, Pillman. It was really a transition period and it made for an interesting product. To this day those 2 periods are my go to when i need to reminisce about the good ol days

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
The Icon That Can Still Go
53,748 Posts
Either/or of:

January 1997-January 1998

or

March 1997-March 1998

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Either/or of:

January 1997-January 1998

or

March 1997-March 1998
They're two great periods, especially Jan 97/98 if you're getting the two Austin RR wins. You get the incredible Austin / Bret feud leading in to GOAT WM match in Hart v Austin, cementing Austin as the next big thing.

Then the brilliant Bret turn and formation of the Hart Foundation. Shawn turning and being the biggest dick heel in the world. Still the GOAT and original Hell in the Cell. Montreal. Plus the incredible Canadian Stampede show. Great pick.

·
Registered
8,260 Posts
Probably mid 2000- mid 2001 pre-invasion WWE. Whodunit of Austin's attacker. 6 men hell in a cell. Brothers of destruction. Two man power trip. TLC tag team chaos. Foley as commish.

·
Cutting a Shoot Promo To Get Over
5,933 Posts
I'd probably take the calendar year 2001. People say the Invasion angle failed, but regardless there are just so many great PPVs. I find it near impossible to say otherwise. 2001 had the greatest Wrestlemania ever, the greatest survivor Series ever. Backlash, No Way Out, KOTR, Invasion all excellent. I can't turn them down!

·
Butter My Arse
11,965 Posts
April 1997 to April 1998

Narrowly missing out on the growth of the Austin/McMahon feud and also the seeds of the Bret Hart heel turn, but there’s so much excellent content in between from all sides that it’s the perfect year span.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
From 1984 til the start of WM 1.

Yes wrestling was around prior, but this put it into the stratosphere.

·
Do they have Krusty's Partially Gelatinated, Non-D
2,857 Posts
Hmmmm tough question.

I think some of my favourite wrestling content involves Austin, Undertaker and Kane, so I’ll take survivor series 97 to survivor series 98.

the only down fall of this period is missing the rise of DX and the end of the Hart Foundation, and the fact that Raw was garbage most of the time. Don’t kid yourselves attitude era fans, raw was a lot of horrible nonsense.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts