Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without making this too long, I've seen various posts (I can't name posters as I don't pay enough attention) where people say "He's a career midcarder" or "We need to get rid of him, he's never gonna be a main eventer".

I just wanna say, what is wrong with having an actual midcard division? Guys like Eric Young, Magnus, Kaz etc NEED to be there. You can't have the same faces week in and week out. Sure Eric may not ever become a main eventer again, but if he's actually good at what he does, why does it matter? Why fire a guy like OJ to give someone we're already seeing hog up TV time..have more of it? No show EVER goes on for years without introducing new characters or without building them to be a main part of a TV show. It's just the way things work with TV. No one likes to see the same old faces without anything new happening or anything new being built in the middle. The midcard helps build character for certain wrestlers that aren't main eventers yet. That's just how I see it.

So like the topic says, why do some of you have problems with people being midcarders? Guys that aren't quite main event level, but are still good in their own right.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Without making this too long, I've seen various posts (I can't name posters as I don't pay enough attention) where people say "He's a career midcarder" or "We need to get rid of him, he's never gonna be a main eventer".

I just wanna say, what is wrong with having an actual midcard division? Guys like Eric Young, Magnus, Kaz etc NEED to be there. You can't have the same faces week in and week out. Sure Eric may not ever become a main eventer again, but if he's actually good at what he does, why does it matter? Why fire a guy like OJ to give someone we're already seeing hog up TV time..have more of it? No show EVER goes on for years without introducing new characters or without building them to be a main part of a TV show. It's just the way things work with TV. No one likes to see the same old faces without anything new happening or anything new being built in the middle. The midcard helps build character for certain wrestlers that aren't main eventers yet. That's just how I see it.

So like the topic says, why do some of you have problems with people being midcarders? Guys that aren't quite main event level, but are still good in their own right.
I've never seen anyone on here say they're against a midcard division. I mean its one of the biggest problems about TNA when it comes to making guys. They don't have a legitamte system on where to start off to build their guys for the future.

·
Perry Karavello
602 Posts
I've always liked mid-card matches, a lot of the time more than ME.

I feel like the problem with TNA is that there isn't clearly set mid-card guys and they don't set up good storylines with the mid-carders, although I feel like Robbie E and Lethal had a pretty good build up.

·
Premium Member
43,669 Posts
Nothing really. Sometimes you have guys in that spot too long and its time to move on, but other guys will never be World Champion Main Eventers, so a strong midcard spot is good for them.

I think too many people measure the worth of a talent by whether or not they can main event, and to a degree that's understandable, but I like to think of the show as a whole and putting the right pieces in the right spots to make the best show possible.

Look at Curt Hennig. He was AMAZING!!! Great talent. Could he have been World Champion? Had it not been the Hogan era, I'd say it would have definitely happened. However, he spent most of his run as IC Champion and NO ONE looks down on his career. He was great where he was. He excelled, and contributed to the show in a huge way.

Flip over to WWE right now, and you know who my favorite guy is to watch right now? US Champion Daniel Bryan. He's completely believable in his role as the classic wrestler that is inventive with his move set & completely able to out wrestle pretty much anybody. Will he ever be a World Champion in the WWE? I don't know, but for right now, I'd say he is definitely contributing to the show as he's the best Midcard Champ they've had in a while.

I've talked to people who don't like the X Division because they feel it holds guys back from possibly being World Champion. My take is that alot of the X Division Champs (AJ, Joe, Lynn, etc as obvious exceptions) will probably never work as World Champion. I mean Brian Kendrick? Michael Shane? Amazing Red? Some of those guys wouldn't work in the main event either because of their inability to talk or project their character well or the inability to work a believable main event style. However, the X Division gives them a place to work, a spot on the show, something to do, & a chance to contribute. That's why I wish all the Divisions were stronger (Tag, X, KO, TV) so that everyone would have a role & a chance to contribute.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Most of it seems to be backlash against the more in-ring oriented wrestlers (and the wrestling fans that hype them) by some subsections (the 90s holdouts in particular) of the IWC, particularly apparent among the TNA hardliners that are apprehensive at any criticism at the product.

These guys in particular seem to overexaggerate the otherwise justified importance of mic skill and have little apparent grasp on the concept of charisma or personality and character (or the differences between the aformentioned 4 attributes), yet are completely incapable of understanding the fact that general viewers almost always hold secondary characters to a lower a standard than primary characters and are able to derive enjoyment from guys with more apparent flaws as long as they are entertaining in general and aren't promoted on the show beyond their level of ability.

To these idiots, everyone with mediocre mic skill and underdeveloped characters is automatically as unremarkable and uninspiring as the Hart Dynasty (who almost NOBODY marks for outside of their future potential mind you) and that any fanfare these guys may get is a result of fanatical smarks who are apparently all illegal streamers and puroresu connisuuers and have opinions worth less than those of typical fans regardless of whether or not they have financially contributed to their company of choice. Though in their defense, Bischoff and Russo seem to hold this EXACT same mindset themselves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts