Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
I find it really funny that everyone is quoting Austin getting his neck broken by Owen as being the defining moment that caused the Fed to scrap the piledriver, and yet no one has mentioned Droz. They were still doing piledrivers in 1999 when D'Lo accidentally broke Droz's neck with a piledriver. From that point on, it was almost never seen.

And I'm not sure how many know, but Austin's neck break was somewhat ironic, considering in 1992...

Fate works in cruel and mysterious ways. Same move, same rarely used version, same outcome.
Droz never got a piledriver....It was a running powerbomb from the corner and D'Lo slipped and botched it

And the video regarding Austin in 1992, yeah kinda scary that...Austin made a blunder on that one

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
too dangerous if it breaks someones neck etc etc only experienced guys can use this.

Kane and The Undertaker are the only guys in the WWE allowed to use it.
With the exception of HHH at Wrestlemania for extreme circumstances.

·
Banned
5,212 Posts
Too dangerous, and IMHO, one of the very ugliest moves in all of pro wrestling. I still see the move in the indies and TNA, and I legitimately look away when they're performing it, it's just not worth it, especially with the history of injuries this move has been associated with, some of the best ever botched it, there's no reason for anyone, regardless of talent level, to apply it.

I mean honestly, who the hell marks out seeing piledrivers? I grab my neck everytime I see it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Back in the 90's alot of people used the pile-driver in different variation's. How come only Kane and the undertaker are allowed to use it now?
Lots of moves are banned in the WWE, and probably its a good thing. You'll never see a backdrop driver in the WWE either, but you will see it all the time in Japan and the indies. Oh yeah, and that move killed Misawa, considered by many to be Japan's greatest wrestler of all time. There's a lot less brainbusters and dives off of crazy heights than there used to be.

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
Droz never got a piledriver....It was a running powerbomb from the corner and D'Lo slipped and botched it

And the video regarding Austin in 1992, yeah kinda scary that...Austin made a blunder on that one
My error, I thought it was a piledriver. Even still, we don't see powerbombs much these days either, probably for that reason. I mean sure we saw one at the Rumble, and Taker does the Last Ride when he's around, but aside from that? Not often.

Pause the video of Austin and Chono at 0:17 and just watch Chono's forehead. Its cringe worthy.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Apart from the fact that it can be a dangerous move to perform, it's one of those really over moves that only one or two wrestlers (in this case the Brothers of Destruction) should use to preserve its allure. Imagine if half the roster did cutters; the RKO wouldn't be nearly as popular if that were the case.
Yeah but Undertaker only leaves his 10 month a year vacations to do 1-3 matches (all but one usually being squashes in his favor, if he even does more than one match a year anymore), so you don't even see him doing the Tombstone at all. Not to mention Kane's finisher has been the Chokeslam most of the time, not the tombstone. I mean really, how many times would you say Kane did that move last year? Twice tops? And Undertaker did it zero times. HHH once.

Undertaker has like frickin 4 finishers anyway, so I don't think it matters if a variant of it is used a little bit.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts