Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that the most prestigious for national teams is the World Cup, followed by the Euro etc.
But what is the most prestigious for clubs overall? Is the FA Cup more prestigious or the Champions League.
Like with many on here I'd assume you are all wrestling fans, so what is the WrestleMania of football every year?

Asking from a new football fan! :)

·
SMILEY GOD
17,016 Posts
Champions League > Domestic Leagues >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Domestic Cups

So yeah, the Champions League final would be the Wrestlemania of football. Just qualifying for the Champions League by finishing in the top 4 in the league is a much bigger deal than the FA Cup (and the equivalent in other countries) these days.

·
......................... .
7,776 Posts
Champions League
Premier League
FA Cup
Carling Cup

:suarez2

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I understand that the most prestigious for national teams is the World Cup, followed by the Euro etc.
But what is the most prestigious for clubs overall? Is the FA Cup more prestigious or the Champions League.
Like with many on here I'd assume you are all wrestling fans, so what is the WrestleMania of football every year?

Asking from a new football fan! :)

The Uefa Champions League is the most prestigious Club competition.

CL = Europe's best clubs
FA = English club competition involving the best in England but also lower league English teams.

There really isn't any world club tournament that is prestigious.
The only world club competition is the Club world cup which features the winners of all the continental competitions from around the world but even that is sub par to the UCL.

(Y)

·
#WoodwardOut #LUHG
15,085 Posts
Pff.

The Copa Libertadores > UCL.

Champions league don't have pele's son.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So would you say the Champions League is bigger than the World Cup or not?

·
SMILEY GOD
17,016 Posts
So would you say the Champions League is bigger than the World Cup or not?
Champions League has the better quality teams and football, World Cup is more popular and more prestigious. World Cup is the biggest sporting event on the planet, so no.

·
FORZA AC MILAN
4,371 Posts
The club I support has won the Champions League, so I can say from an unbiased viewpoint that it is only the second most prestigious club trophy behind the inter-toto cup.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The club I support has won the Champions League, so I can say from an unbiased viewpoint that it is only the second most prestigious club trophy behind the inter-toto cup.
um... the intertoto cup was for the clubs that didn't qualify for the champions league and the uefa cup (now known as the europa league). :lol

·
FORZA AC MILAN
4,371 Posts
um... the intertoto cup was for the clubs that didn't qualify for the champions league and the uefa cup (now known as the europa league). :lol
If it was so crap why did they make 3 of them? At least it hasn't had its name changed like the competitions you mentioned above. Consistency and familiarity = prestige.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
The intertoto cup was a preseason competition that game passage to 4 or later 3 sides to enter the Uefa Cup it was started so the bookies had club football running all year to keep people betting on football.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Champions League is the most prestigious trophy in the the european footballing world. Winning this surpasses everything to the point that poorly managed clubs like arsenal aim solely to finish in the top four to enter this competition. The champions league's only downfall is it has too many sides in it for the payday like Arsenal rather than sides who care about winning it.

The World Cup is seen as the biggest trophy to alot of smaller countries and non europeans because they see it as the best players from each nation playing but personally i dont see Brazil, Germany, Argentina spanking the likes of North Korea, Saudi Arabia as a glowing achievement so for the most part the tournament is highly predictable. I'd say that winning the European Championships is harder than winning a world cup.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
CL.
The World Cup is the most prestigious sport event in the world but the Euro came close after we won it in 04' and bestowed some credibility back to it .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts