Wrestling Forum banner

What's the ceiling for AEW?

1504 Views 17 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  Obfuscation
I know AEW has a lot of steam at the moment because it's the new thing, but once things start settling down, what's the ceiling for the company?
There's all this talk among fans about how they're competition for WWE (even though the company itself denied it), so...how high can AEW go? Will they get as far as TNA did circa 2006-2007 or as high as WCW did in the late 90s?

As far as I'm concerned...I don't see them getting far. They have a prime time spot on TNT and they appeal to hardcore fans, so they'll definitely find an audience, but I don't know if they'll appeal to casual fans. You have a lot of wrestlers who are not yet established on a big platform and the production values will need to be improved (the presentation is not horrible, but things need improving - the theme songs don't stand out yet, the titantron's aren't anything special, the promo packages look kinda dated, I know some people complained about the camera work...)
Disclaimer: My opinion is based on the very little I've seen. Who knows what direction the company will go once they start airing on TNT.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
It'll ultimately be how healthy they are once their honeymoon period ends. The novelty will wear off at some point. The keys will be their ability to create stars and how compelling their storylines are. If their product sucks, then they won't even reach TNA 06 levels. Their ceiling just may be October 2019. Really a hard question to answer.

· Registered
6,426 Posts
Hopefully slow growth, then they wont start making stupid business decisions like over paying people and putting the company in the red, the Khan's are business men, if the company started costing them money they'd pull the plug like Billionaire Ted.

· Best Post Machine
567 Posts
Storywise I think they're going to be fine. The Kenny/PAC match and other decisions have convinced me. That ending was absolutely shocking and so much can be built from it.

Can't wait for the TV.

· Banned
11,646 Posts
It's up to them really. With the resources they have and the way wrestling fans have flocked to them I see no reason they can't get to WWE's level in about 10 years, maybe sooner if they play their cards right and get the hype train going. They need to capitalize on the buzz and momentum. In wrestling, you can lose that buzz/momentum in the blink of an eye if you don't strike while the iron's hot. So far, I think they are making all the right moves, except for what they are doing with their inter gender...I mean, women's division.

I think it's a shame Punk is done with wrestling, God the buzz he'd create if he went to AEW. Hell, they'd make him the star he felt WWE didn't. They're not stupid enough to not know what they'd have with him coming to their company

The fact that WWE is counter programming them is HUGE. Seriously, no one can say that AEW is the new TNA now. Putting NXT on TV on the same night is proof that WWE views them as a legit threat. That's already a huge accomplishment on AEW's part and they haven't even started on TV yet

I actually think WWE may inadvertantly help AEW. With NXT going two hours and rumors of Vince taking over, that show may turn to shit and give people MORE incentive to tune into AEW's weekly show. And how stretched thin will Vince be running three shows AND the XFL?

Remember how Xbox was on top of the world with the 360, than a lot of really dumb moves led to Playstation once again dominating this console generation?

· Premium Member
27,044 Posts
I actually think WWE may inadvertantly help AEW. With NXT going two hours and rumors of Vince taking over, that show may turn to shit and give people MORE incentive to tune into AEW's weekly show. And how stretched thin will Vince be running three shows AND the XFL?

Remember how Xbox was on top of the world with the 360, than a lot of really dumb moves led to Playstation once again dominating this console generation?
I also am thinking NXT is on for a rough ride. I never miss an episode, but if it's 2 hours I'm going to start missing bits here and there; eventually full episodes. If it starts to suck it will be easy to miss.

They're also creating competition with see which wasn't there from raw and SmackDown. I'm considering cancelling my Network subscription and only watching NXT on TV :lol.

Whatever, I'm stoked to see what happens

· I'm the world's greatest superhero. I can do whate
24,051 Posts
I doubt WWE could even reach late 90's WCW even if they really tried. But AEW will probably reach TNA's peak at some point. It's not as if TNA ever reached that great of a peak anyways.

· Premium Member
5,584 Posts
How about we give this new product time?

We got a ton of fresh match ups, a talented relatively young roster, gorgeous looking new championship titles and a solid fan base.

Let them put on a great weekly product first and work their way to the first PPV.

Did anyone think the MCU would be a global force after Iron Man 1? No. It was given time and grew.

AEW needs that time and faith.

· Banned
15,486 Posts
It could have been higher. They have the appeal of being an arena promotion and having billionaire backing. The issue is going to be growing their fanbase with an incredibly niche-aimed product. I think they'll be able to get 1.4 million viewers.

· Registered
15,742 Posts
WCW at their peak were doing 600,000 ppv buys domestically for their biggest shows, averaging 10,000 paid a month at their shows (21 shows in that particular month) and hundreds of millions in revenue.

If their ceiling is that WWE would be seriously worried.

· Registered
55 Posts
My sons very pro WWE and has been since he was 8, he's 14 now, I watched the first PPV from AEW, and he kinda sat down and watched some with me, not knowing who anyone was, he now says AEW is amazing, and he struggles to watch WWE as it seems "dull" compared to AEW. This is a child who worships WWE, and now he's asking for AEW gear, same thing happened with Lucha Underground.

Even children are seeing the better quality and appreciating it. There's going to be doubters, and history proves it's hard for other companies to overcome WWE, but AEW is doing everything right.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.