Wrestling Forum banner

What's so bad about WWE in 2009?

4459 17
I keep hearing how it was the worst year ever in WWE's history or something. Personally, I took a break from watching wrestling from late 2006- early 2010. So I was just curious on what's so bad about 2009? Some clips of the worst moments would be appreciated.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
7,988 Posts
people believe 09 is horrible duely cos RAW was so bad. RAW had the guest hosts showing up each week doing stupid shit and plugging their lame ass products like movies and albums etc. Smackdown was great in 09 though but WWE in general was not doing a lot of good stuff i guess they were'nt trying to jeprodise their image cos of the eventual Linda senate run and their then new deal with Mattel. But for a year which started off so good with Orton against the McMahon family and Michaels V Taker at Mania it all went downhill after that so fast.

· Childish Gambino Is #1
6,268 Posts
Stuff like this for the whole year:

There's much more stuff, but I'm scared to find it and start remembering the horror.

· Registered
2,511 Posts
Smackdown was great in 2009, Punk vs Hardy being a particular highlight. Raw was the absolute shits for the most part and the main event scene was really stale. Guest hosts every week and Hornswaggle/DX skits made Raw pretty difficult to watch.

· You're better than that Cole.
4,004 Posts
Pretty simple, this below.

Arguably the most overrated feud of all time, the so called “Austin/Rock” of today, every night it would be.

-John Cena Vs Randy Orton in Iron man Match.
-John Cena Vs Randy Orton in I Quit Match.
-John Cena Vs Randy Orton In Hell In A Cell.
-John Cena Vs Randy Orton in No Disqualification.
-John Cena Vs Randy Orton have their 34058340583058495034 stare down.
-John Cena Vs Legacy.
-John Cena-Batista Vs Legacy.
-John Cena Vs Jeri-Show and Randy Orton.
-John Cena-Triple H Vs Legacy.
-John Cena-Triple H-Seth Green Vs Legacy.
-John Cena Vs Cody Rhodes and Randy Orton.
-John Cena Vs Randy Orton Vs Kofi Kingston.

I can go on forever, but basically every night if Cena is not facing Orton in singles competition he will be facing him in some capacity in handicap or tag team matches etc.

It was absolutely horrible. I was not entertained in the slightest of this redone, overbooked, boring ass feud of Orton/Cena. The only time their feud was worth watching when Orton punted Cena’s father. Their feud in 2007 was the absolute best in my opinion.

· Registered
2,454 Posts
BS, they didn't face off that many times. Also, Orton/Cena have chemistry in the ring. Their matches, particular the I Quit and Iron Man, were pretty great.

Raw sucked the whole year. Guest host were lame. Horny had the most screen time. Too many gimmick stuff. On the plus side, most of 2009 ppv were better than 2010 ppv.

Smackdown sucked after Hardy left. Punk was buried against an aging Undertaker. The rise of the IC title stopped shortly after Mysterio lost the title to Morrison.

· Registered
561 Posts
Pretty simple, this below.

Arguably the most overrated feud of all time, the so called “Austin/Rock” of today, every night it would be.

-John Cena Vs Randy Orton in Iron man Match.
-John Cena Vs Randy Orton in I Quit Match.
-John Cena Vs Randy Orton In Hell In A Cell.
-John Cena Vs Randy Orton in No Disqualification.
-John Cena Vs Randy Orton have their 34058340583058495034 stare down.
-John Cena Vs Legacy.
-John Cena-Batista Vs Legacy.
-John Cena Vs Jeri-Show and Randy Orton.
-John Cena-Triple H Vs Legacy.
-John Cena-Triple H-Seth Green Vs Legacy.
-John Cena Vs Cody Rhodes and Randy Orton.
-John Cena Vs Randy Orton Vs Kofi Kingston.

I can go on forever, but basically every night if Cena is not facing Orton in singles competition he will be facing him in some capacity in handicap or tag team matches etc.

It was absolutely horrible. I was not entertained in the slightest of this redone, overbooked, boring ass feud of Orton/Cena. The only time their feud was worth watching when Orton punted Cena’s father. Their feud in 2007 was the absolute best in my opinion.

I actually started watching again in fall of 09 after attending a few live events and I enjoyed it..but compared to the product right now it doesn't look that great. It was fine though.

And if you were tired of the Orton-Cena feud please refresh me of the Stone Cold-Vince feud

Austin gets screwed by Mcmahon
Austin-Mcmahon cage match
Austin humiliates mcmahon
Austin humiliated mcmahon
Austin vs random member of cororation
Austin vs 2 random members of corporation

catch my drift buddy....its one thing to say that the Austin angle was more creative, but you can't say that Orton-Cena was played out...

· Mamba Mentality
25,641 Posts
I actually started watching again in fall of 09 after attending a few live events and I enjoyed it..but compared to the product right now it doesn't look that great. It was fine though.

And if you were tired of the Orton-Cena feud please refresh me of the Stone Cold-Vince feud

Austin-Mcmahon cage match
Austin humiliates mcmahon
Austin humiliated mcmahon
Austin vs random member of cororation
Austin vs 2 random members of corporation

catch my drift buddy....its one thing to say that the Austin angle was more creative, but you can't say that Orton-Cena was played out...
We should never compare the Orton/Cena feud to one of the greatest story arcs in the history of TV entertainment (yes, not just wrestling) - Austin vs. McMahon. It's just not right.

But that's not primarily why Raw sucked so badly after WM25. The guest hosts, Hornswoggle vs. Chavo, the commentary, etc made for horrible TV viewing. All summer through the winter I couldn't watch a full episode of Raw and I had to mute the commentary because the show was so unbearable.

Now Smackdown was a consistently quality brand with good wrestling every week from Mysterio, Jericho, Punk, Morrison, Edge, Jeff Hardy, Ziggler and others. ECW had some quality wrestling too with Christian, Regal, Swagger and Finlay. So 2009 wasn't all bad, just Raw for the most part.

· Registered
7,601 Posts
2009 in WWE was bad because a few people complained about it as if it were as bad as 1993 and 1995 which were truly awful years to watch. I mean 2009 saw Randy Orton become the hottest star in wrestling for a while as well as Shawn Michaels/Undertaker, John Cena/Randy Orton in what for me was their best feud and saw their best matches and also Jeff Hardy and CM Punk in what was a career defining feud for both men in WWE.

Of course like any year in WWE there were some very bad moments as well but whilst Raw didn't really have a great year outside of Triple H/Randy Orton and John Cena/Edge leading into WrestleMania 25 and later on John Cena and Randy Orton we saw SmackDown do very well that year. Match quality wise SmackDown were very consistant in what we saw and it was definitely the better brand in 2009, for anyone though who complains about 2009 i would say for them to go on Youtube or Dailymotion and watch 1993 and 1995.

· Registered
4,026 Posts
-takes a big breath-

-the guest hosts putting themselves over and burying talent
-chavo vs hornswoggle feud of doom
-the little people's court
-99% of every RAW's main event having john cena, randy orton or triple H
-constant attempts at comedy
-too much talking
-very little wrestling
-god awful storylines (except in smackdown... they were awesome)
-miz storyline that dragged for months only to have him squashed by cena in the end
-big show's burial
-bragging rights ppv (wich became a tradition)
-orton and cena exchanging the wwe title every month
-kofi's botches during the final quarter
-hornswoggle
-the burial of beth phoenix
-santina
-the burial of vickie guerrero
-the burial of the brian kendrick
-same opening segment every single week with either cena, orton or triple h plus jeri-show interrupting the guest host all the time
-evan bourne's trip to jobberland
-sheamus's lackluster rise

shall i continue?

· Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,891 Posts
That should just about cover it. I'd like to remark that they buried and released lots of good talent in that time, most notably Mickie James. I always felt bad about the Piggie stuff and don't think she was acting when she crying. Its really uncomfortable for me to watch. I thought it was going to have a payoff where Mickie James became a sort of role model and all around Diva great and it went nowhere.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.