Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's more important to you as a fan when you're watching a wrestling event? Is it a match quality, booking, promos, storylines, etc. etc... OR, is it rooting for your favorite wrestler, no matter how bad or good he is (you know, the essence of being a wrestling fan)? Don't you just wish to stop thinking about writing and BTS bullshit and try to relax and root for your favorite characters sometimes?

I know, I'm trying to wake up a little kid inside me, lulz...

·
Ted the Moth
12,866 Posts
If you can make me smile (and not because you're so hilariously bad), then you win as a performer to me. Intense rivalries and nerve shattering matches are all good stuff, but I hold performers to a higher level if they can bring a laugh out of me. I'd say that's why Edge and Christian are my favourite tag team, in fact.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think it's kind of a mix of it all I love good quality matches between great athletes but I also love entertaining segments and match build ups. I personally like when wrestlers really get into their character and have fun with it I guess that's why I'm a big Ziggler fan he's just awesome to watch.

I do agree that some fans don't just sit back and enjoy the material without nitpicking and I myself have been guilty of that but now I just enjoy it for what it is.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Me personally, it comes down to a few things.

* Keeping up with constant twitter feeds so I can check up on my favorite wrestler
* Having a traditional Brodus Clay squash match to briefly keep the show on a high
* Knowing that Cena is doing good work for the MAWF
* Several long segment videos showing the past RAW show
* Having wrestlers face each other numerous times before they clash at a PPV so it keeps my interest high
* Cena overcoming the odds, and being a good influence to kids

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'm very big on balance and pacing. Quick shows without a lot of bloat or filler is what I look for. I'm ok with shorter matches as long as the shorter matches advance angles, but I expect at least one, if not two hot 8+ minute matches, preferably at the end of each hour.

I'm ok with opening interviews, especially if it drives an angle, but I also love a good fast paced curtain jerk match.

One of the things I've really been missing is hot beatdown segments and backstage brawls. I'm tired of every angle unfolding in the ring, and everyone having microphones in their hands. I know WWE is trying to keep it "realistic" but the current trend of "Ok, Johnny talks" and then "Here comes Cena to rebut" is getting tired.

·
Banned
852 Posts
100% match quality. I don't really care about storylines at all with a few exceptions(slow builds to big events: psycho AJ as a current example).

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
I want a good storyline otherwise I'm not interested. For instance, Randy Orton is my favorite from the current roster but I had zero interest in that stupid Kane feud since it was started because of a fucking handshake of all things.

I do wish I could go back to when I rooted for one person all the time and couldn't call moves before they happen, though.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
For me, it's storylines.

You can have a great wrestling match(like we'll prob see this sunday at OTL with Punk/Bryan), but no real story/meaning to the match, makes it not that great.

But something like Ryder-Kane had some real great storyline to it, so it turned an average match people wouldn't care about, into something real interesting cause of all the story behind it.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Matches all day. Build up can be good, match can be shit and that ruins everything to me. I don't remember promos or segments that well and when I'm bored I pop in a match or PPV to watch. Build (promos & segments) doesn't matter its like icing on the cake, and the match is the cake.
Spot on

·
Registered
192 Posts
I mostly enjoy rooting for my favorites, hoping for them to be put in good and entertaining stories, having appearances and PPV spots. But more than anything, I love good working in the ring.
When I say favorites, I'm basically talking about Drew only, lol.

·
Plotting time travel mission.
8,641 Posts
Storyline first, that is what keeps me watching if there are no good storylines then I enjoy watching the wrestling and promos.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Interesting and "logical" story lines, Good promos keep me interested else it just makes it seem bland to me, and The wrestling itself is important to me else it would simply just be a soap and I wouldn't be proud of myself watching a soap without any action.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
Promos 100%. These people are supposed to be quote on quote "superstars", they should have a personality. Knowing 10 different variations of a headlock does not impress me, I'm looking for some entertainment.

·
Banned
254 Posts
Only match quality, i could care less about pyro, fake crowd noise, inane wrestling storylines and godawful acting.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
What's more important to you as a fan when you're watching a wrestling event? Is it a match quality, booking, promos, storylines, etc. etc... OR, is it rooting for your favorite wrestler, no matter how bad or good he is (you know, the essence of being a wrestling fan)? Don't you just wish to stop thinking about writing and BTS bullshit and try to relax and root for your favorite characters sometimes?
This is an interesting subject because I do truly believe that it not only differs on a person-to-person basis but I also think that it differs on a promotion-by-promotion basis. Not necessarily just because of expectations or past reputations either but because of what those rosters can potentially give you compared to what they have historically given you.

I enjoy a great bell-to-bell match as much as the next professional wrestling fan, however when I go into a WWE show, sans Pay-Per-View, I am not necessarily looking for that. I am looking for an event. A show that gives you different things from top-to-bottom, that has you feeling tired, in a good way, from being emotionally drained, at the end of the main event. But it also has to have you still intrigued enough to ask questions like "what is he going to do now!?"

If a match is great but the build was terrible, the crowd sucks & the commentary is Michael Cole & Jerry Lawler, how good is it really?

As far as American Pro-wrestling as a whole goes, specifically WWE, in the most basic sense, I want to see over-the-top personalities & characters engaging in compelling television that builds drama to a match that makes you care about the outcome. I want to see intensity & hatred. I want to see revenge & redemption. I want it to feel like not just an athletic competition but the titles truly representing who is the best (as a good guy) or who is the most heinous (as a bad guy). All of this should happens before the match ever takes place, really. Build a match up. Not just the matches at the tippy-top of the card. Yes, the main event should sell a show. But that doesn't mean that Santino can not have a reason for feuding with Dolph Ziggler other than Dolph made fun of him backstage, or whatever. Show come consistency & continuity. Stop being on cruise control & half-assing your product because you don't have any real competition. Act like you're the best in the world at what you do & prove it.

Basically, I want the show to make sense logically. I want a reason to care about the characters. I want to feel emotionally invested in match outcomes and I want the story to build me up to the point where I want to pay to see the journey, not just read the outcome after the fact for free due to apathy.

·
Banned
561 Posts
This is an interesting subject because I do truly believe that it not only differs on a person-to-person basis but I also think that it differs on a promotion-by-promotion basis. Not necessarily just because of expectations or past reputations either but because of what those rosters can potentially give you compared to what they have historically given you.

I enjoy a great bell-to-bell match as much as the next professional wrestling fan, however when I go into a WWE show, sans Pay-Per-View, I am not necessarily looking for that. I am looking for an event. A show that gives you different things from top-to-bottom, that has you feeling tired, in a good way, from being emotionally drained, at the end of the main event. But it also has to have you still intrigued enough to ask questions like "what is he going to do now!?"

If a match is great but the build was terrible, the crowd sucks & the commentary is Michael Cole & Jerry Lawler, how good is it really?

As far as American Pro-wrestling as a whole goes, specifically WWE, in the most basic sense, I want to see over-the-top personalities & characters engaging in compelling television that builds drama to a match that makes you care about the outcome. I want to see intensity & hatred. I want to see revenge & redemption. I want it to feel like not just an athletic competition but the titles truly representing who is the best (as a good guy) or who is the most heinous (as a bad guy). All of this should happens before the match ever takes place, really. Build a match up. Not just the matches at the tippy-top of the card. Yes, the main event should sell a show. But that doesn't mean that Santino can not have a reason for feuding with Dolph Ziggler other than Dolph made fun of him backstage, or whatever. Show come consistency & continuity. Stop being on cruise control & half-assing your product because you don't have any real competition. Act like you're the best in the world at what you do & prove it.

Basically, I want the show to make sense logically. I want a reason to care about the characters. I want to feel emotionally invested in match outcomes and I want the story to build me up to the point where I want to pay to see the journey, not just read the outcome after the fact for free due to apathy.
i agree, wrestling is probaly the least thing for me, if you have a great back story for a build up and characters who captivate me and can gain my attention right off the back, then that's all i can ask for, entertain me

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
i agree, wrestling is probaly the least thing for me, if you have a great back story for a build up and characters who captivate me and can gain my attention right off the back, then that's all i can ask for, entertain me
Plus, I mean, even if the match is the shits, if the build is good enough, it doesn't matter because you're emotionally invested in the match & you care about the outcome. Both Hulk Hogan Vs. André the Giant and "Stone Cold" Steve Austin Vs. Mr. McMahon come to mind. I'm not looking for a 5-star classic, ya know? I want a payoff!

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
Only match quality, i could care less about pyro, fake crowd noise, inane wrestling storylines and godawful acting.
So the only reason you watch is to see two dudes in their underwear pretending to fight.

Anyway, I like the spectacle, the pyro the ballyhoo is all important to me. Promo's, characters, storylines are the reasons I watch, match quality is a bonus but certainly not essential.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts