Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Off the top of my head wrestlers like the Undertaker, Goldust, Cody Rhodes, Randy Orton,
Drew McIntyre, and Maryse come to mind.

The Undertaker- His gimmick is one of a deadman. Sometimes he no-sells
an opponents attacks and "rises from the dead" in the middle of the match. It takes
a really one of a kind person to pull off this gimmick and Undertaker incorporated it
in his matches.

Goldust- He is known as "The Bizarre One." He has a creepy vibe to him.
Again like the Undertaker, he plays his role perfectly. He will psyche out his opponents
by simply breathing on them and rubbing his chest really slow. These are all apart of his
mind games.

Cody Rhodes- Cody Rhodes' claim to fame is being "Dashing." He is
obsessed with his looks from head to toe. He comes to the ring without a hair out of
place. The way I see he works his gimmick into the match is how he reacts to taking
a shot in the face. He looks so surprised and pissed at the same time. He doesn't want
to tarnish his so called "Dashing" looks or the money maker.

Randy Orton- Known as "The Viper." The way he moves in the ring like a snake,
methodically stalking his prey (opponent). Even the way he "slithers" into that
position to hit the RKO. Don't know if it was intentional, but Orton in a way uses his
gimmick into his matches. It also helps the way the commentators put it over during
his matches.

Drew McIntyre- He is known as the "Sinister Scotsman." He is as devious and
malicious as they come. Drew uses his outside environment to his advantage. We've seen
his matches with Christian, Matt Hardy, and Kaval he will use the ring post, steel steps,
ring apron, barricade, etc to do harm to his opponents. 9 times out of ten, they will
help him win the match because the opponent still feels the effects of the underhanded
tactics of McIntyre.

Maryse- The French Canadian diva. She may possess the ever popular gimmick
of a bitchy, arrogant woman, but she has got it down to a tee. She is known for her
hair flips (which she will do in the middle of a match sometimes lol), putting her
hand in the face of her opponents and sometimes the referees, and always adjusting her
outfits and primping. She acts as if she is too good to be touched.

The point of this thread, who are some other wrestlers past or present who used their
gimmick while in the ring wrestling? Were there obvious ones I may have missed?

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Well, there are plenty of guys that have used foreign objects associated with their characters. Randy Savage when he was the "Macho King," The Mountie, the DOA guys, 2003 John Cena, Brutus Beefcake, The Undertaker, Big Boss Man, Steve Blackman, Boogeyman...the list goes on and on. As far as their actual ring style closely representing their character? I don't know. I'm tired. I need a Dr. Pepper.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Who doesn't use their gimmick as a wrestler? Isn't that the whole point?

Mark Henry is the World's Strongest Man, and in his matches.. shocking as it may be - he is often portrayed as STRONG. Cena is a cheesy face who says never give up and never backs down from a fight - and in his matches, as hard as it may be to believe... he never gives up and never backs down from the fight and gives it his all despite taking insane levels of abuse.

I can't really think of many guys who are hypocrites to their character in the ring?

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Most people use their gimmicks in matches, that's what makes their gimmick work.

Santino is another one for sure on this list.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Most people use their gimmicks in matches, that's what makes their gimmick work.

Santino is another one for sure on this list.
I guess if the point is "have embarrassingly unfunny TV" then yes, I guess the Cobra is working.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well since everyone's correcting me rather than answering the question, is there
a wrestler who didn't use their gimmick in a match?

Edit: I don't see how CM Punk uses his gimmick in a match.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Off the top of my head wrestlers like the Undertaker, Goldust, Cody Rhodes, Randy Orton,
Drew McIntyre, and Maryse come to mind.

The Undertaker- His gimmick is one of a deadman. Sometimes he no-sells
an opponents attacks and "rises from the dead" in the middle of the match. It takes
a really one of a kind person to pull off this gimmick and Undertaker incorporated it
in his matches.

Goldust- He is known as "The Bizarre One." He has a creepy vibe to him.
Again like the Undertaker, he plays his role perfectly. He will psyche out his opponents
by simply breathing on them and rubbing his chest really slow. These are all apart of his
mind games.

Cody Rhodes- Cody Rhodes' claim to fame is being "Dashing." He is
obsessed with his looks from head to toe. He comes to the ring without a hair out of
place. The way I see he works his gimmick into the match is how he reacts to taking
a shot in the face. He looks so surprised and pissed at the same time. He doesn't want
to tarnish his so called "Dashing" looks or the money maker.

Randy Orton- Known as "The Viper." The way he moves in the ring like a snake,
methodically stalking his prey (opponent). Even the way he "slithers" into that
position to hit the RKO. Don't know if it was intentional, but Orton in a way uses his
gimmick into his matches. It also helps the way the commentators put it over during
his matches.

Drew McIntyre- He is known as the "Sinister Scotsman." He is as devious and
malicious as they come. Drew uses his outside environment to his advantage. We've seen
his matches with Christian, Matt Hardy, and Kaval he will use the ring post, steel steps,
ring apron, barricade, etc to do harm to his opponents. 9 times out of ten, they will
help him win the match because the opponent still feels the effects of the underhanded
tactics of McIntyre.

Maryse- The French Canadian diva. She may possess the ever popular gimmick
of a bitchy, arrogant woman, but she has got it down to a tee. She is known for her
hair flips (which she will do in the middle of a match sometimes lol), putting her
hand in the face of her opponents and sometimes the referees, and always adjusting her
outfits and primping. She acts as if she is too good to be touched.

The point of this thread, who are some other wrestlers past or present who used their
gimmick while in the ring wrestling? Were there obvious ones I may have missed?

first things first.. it's not that a monster character like the undertaker "no sells"...he's supposed to be indestructible. things aren't supposed to effect him. it should take A LOT to take him down. it's ring psychology. same thing with "the immortal hulk hogan"...he was more of a cartoon character, but it's the same thing...he's the IMMORTAL ONE...it should take a lot to take him down and take him out...and yet he takes ppl out with a leg drop but thats another discussion. and honestly at the end of the day, thats the job of any face...to rise above the challenge no matter what. it's like john cena being "superman" and everyone bitching about how he comes back after a beatdown...HE'S SUPPOSED TO DO THAT. same thing when shawn michaels was dubbed the most resilient superstar etc...he's supposed to rise above the challenge. thats the whole point. i can't understand why so many people don't know that or can't get that. it's in ring psychology. personally, i'd rather have a match that goes back and forth, but at the end of the day, the face is supposed to come back and finish the job.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Well since everyone's correcting me rather than answering the question, is there

How many times?.... it's not a gimmick, it's a lifestyle you idiot.... gimmicks not needed.

hmm, well Edge, i don't see what is so "Rated-R" about him.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts

well, when he had his "society" with him, they'd help him with...the straight edge society, together would win.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Better query is what wrestler doesn't. And for that I would say Chris Masters maybe? Most TV performers keep a gimmick with them.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
Taker doesn't no sell anymore. Not like he did when he first debuted anyway. Back then he would no sell the whole match and IT WAS AWESOME.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
well, when he had his "society" with him, they'd help him with...the straight edge society, together would win.
Like any faction would help their leader win. CM Punk does not use a gimmick, he uses his actual lifestyle.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
How many times?.... it's not a gimmick, it's a lifestyle you idiot.... gimmicks not needed.

hmm, well Edge, i don't see what is so "Rated-R" about him.
it's a name that was given to him a long time ago. true, he's not so rated R anymore...just like shawn isn't the heartbreak KID...he's 45 years old! lol. sometimes a name just sticks with a guy. is jerry lawler a real king? NO. is steve austin a snake? no. nicknames and gimmicks are different. although...i think HHH is the game...of monopoly.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
it's a name that was given to him a long time ago. true, he's not so rated R anymore...just like shawn isn't the heartbreak KID...he's 45 years old! lol. sometimes a name just sticks with a guy. is jerry lawler a real king? NO. is steve austin a snake? no. nicknames and gimmicks are different. although...i think HHH is the game...of monopoly.
A nickname that was apart of his gimmick, seriously nothing Edge has ever done has been rated R. Edge is possibly the most over-rated wrestler still with the company.

Your right, but there is no need to call me an idiot. I can admit I was wrong.
Yeah you're right, and i'm sorry for doing so.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Taker doesn't no sell anymore. Not like he did when he first debuted anyway. Back then he would no sell the whole match and IT WAS AWESOME.
yes it was awesome. thats what has made his character so great. it's so mysterious...at least it used to be. his character has become a little more human in recent years. i don't know if they did that just to evolve his character or his age or it just happened. but i remember it took like half the roster to put him in a casket...twice! it was when he feuded with mankind..thats when he started to look more human like. yes thats to help make someone look good and what not, but undertaker used to be so fucking awesome.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts