Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know when a feud looks great on paper and like it's gonna be HUGE... but turns out to be disappointing?

What immediately comes to my mind first is the Cena vs. Orton feud. I remember people online wondering when those two were finally gonna feud back in 2005-2006. People were VERY interested in seeing a big feud like this one day. People expected it to be the Rock vs. Austin of its generation... but it really wasn't. It was a big enough feud, but I can't say I cared much about it. I personally find Orton a bit too bland, and he could also be almost as annoying as Cena at times. Plus, none of the Cena vs. Orton matches I saw were that great and they wrestled each other WAY too often.

I found Edge, Punk and Rock much better bitter rivals for Cena, imo.

I'm gonna guess everyone is gonna mention the Invasion angle, which is a very valid choice which I agree with entirely, but I'm not gonna talk about feuds that happened before I started watching wrestling. And by the time I watched Invasion stuff I already knew the letdown it was gonna be, so I can't say I was expecting more out of what WWE gave us.

What about you? What's, to you, the most underwhelming feud of all time?

·
Used to be a Dreamer, Dreamin' of a Fire
6,416 Posts
Seth Rollins vs Dean Ambrose. My expectations were sky high. The heel turn was extremely dark, emotionally gripping and effective. Everything after that stunk like shit and the WWE will literally never have another opportunity to recreate the conditions that led to such an emotionally charged moment, if we're lucky. What a waste

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,881 Posts
Edge vs Christian and Jeff vs Matt for me are tied.
Cena vs. Orton
Sheamus Del Rio in 2012. Roster was so thin that the feud went nearly 6 months
Good answers all. I liked the Matt/Jeff match from WrestleMania XXV more than many seemed to, but yeah, the feud was no fun. Edge/Christian was just flaccid, Cena/Orton felt like a sad attempt to recreate Austin/Rock, and the less said about Sheamus/Del Rio, the better.

I'll throw another one out there: Sgt. Slaughter v. Hulk Hogan from 1990-1991. A lot of it was in poor taste vis a vis the war in Iraq, Hogan had seriously cooled off as a babyface, and fan interest was so soft that they had to abandon running the LA Coliseum. It was the first Hogan WrestleMania match and feud that didn't really work.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Bryan vs Miz

They had a great set up for the feud but WWE just totally did everything that could be bad for the whole feud, involving wives and making Bryan look weak as a face.

Orton vs Cena

Should have been the feud both these guys were remembered for but ended up having a ton of matches and the fan's just been bored.

Nakamura vs Styles

Just was there, and should have been a ton better.

Punks Vs Jericho

Just never clicked for me, strange considering both guys are great at what they do.

·
Won't shut up about Peyton Royce
17,649 Posts
Most recently AJ/Nakamura

Of all time? The Invasion angle

·
Registered
49 Posts
The ones I remember:

AJ vs Kevin (idk what it was about it, maybe Shane or something, but it was so underwhelming, even KO vs Braun was better imo)

Ambrose/Rollins vs the Bar (they had so many matches it became stale. The in-ring segment amounted to “X gets ambushed by Bar. Y comes out to save X”.

Ambrose vs Rollins (due to Ambrose’s botched heel turn)

Finn vs Bray

1 - 20 of 53 Posts