Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imagine it does not happen, do you see Austin staying ? One thing is for sure Rock would still take that 3 month break he was doing. Imagine an alternate reality where the 2002 draft did not happen.

·
it's a tarp!
5,267 Posts
-Steph's still head writer so it will be mediocre at best

-We don't see a mass of worthless titles, but we do see twice as many feuds

-Brock gets the megapush to the top, but isn't a lock anymore to keep the position, as he lacks charisma (verbal not physical), ultimately he feuds with wrestlers not named The Big Show

-Triple H wouldn't get the 20 minute monologue opens, as other wrestlers would now interrupt well before a million viewers fell asleep

-We don't get Paul Heyman's booking creativity, so no Smackdown Six, probably no John Cena ascension to the top

-The iNvasion from wCw would still be complete bollocks, and the only one's worth a damn would still be RVD, Shane Helms, Billy Kidman, and DDP (until he's booked into oblivion)

The biggest change in the outcome would be if John Laurinaitis actually decided to renew The Rocks contract at the end of 2004.
But WWE's always gonna WWE so who knows.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
There would have been a hell of a lot more backstage politics and infighting than there were.

Brock, Kurt, RVD and Jericho were rightly seen as the future of the company but with Triple H, HBK and Taker still around they were not going to give up their spots. What happened in actuality was that a 'compromise' was made - Triple Ego was given his own show (RAW) in which he could live out his fantasies and bury anyone he saw as a threat while over on SD the real talent was (Brock, Kurt and the Smackdown 6).

·
The Babyface of WF
12,535 Posts
I'd rather not imagine that tbh, All I'll say is that it's better off knowing the draft created better opportunities for the superstars and a better program for fans alike.

·
Cutting a Shoot Promo To Get Over
5,464 Posts
I think there would have been quite a big difference (for the worse) in terms of talent for sure. There were enough main eventers already established for one world title, so people would have been relegated. The OVW class of 2002 would probably suffer. Is Evolution still a thing or as big? As said, Smackdown 6 wouldn't have been a thing, so would Benoit, Eddie, Rey and Edge ever be world champions?

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
With Austin, Rock, Hogan, HHH, Undertaker, Angle, Lesnar, Jericho, Edge, RVD, Kane, etc. all on the same roster, it's hard to imagine any world where there isn't a brand split. I know Austin, Rock, and Hogan were gone as full time performers shortly after this, but still. Brock and HHH being on the same show is hard enough to imagine considering you'd have HHH wanting to hog all the spotlight for himself with Evolution and Vince wanting to push Lesnar as the next big thing.

·
Registered
14,593 Posts
We probably wouldn't get JBL as champ so it wouldn't be that bad. Do we still get Triple H's long reign if the brand split isn't still in effect?

·
Premium Member
44,043 Posts
Would Lesnar have gotten the top tier push that he received if the brands didn't split? I mean, would Triple H have put him over? In 2002, push comes to shove, I feel like HHH, with his added backstage power, would get the baton over the newcomer.

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,881 Posts
Imagine it does not happen, do you see Austin staying ?
No. Austin left because he wasn't booked as a main event talent in 2002.

Actually, the better question to ask is this: would Austin have stuck around if the World Heavyweight Championship were introduced along with the draft? The draft happens in March, Austin leaves in June, and the second world title appears in September. If the title had come in sooner, Austin very well might have gotten his hands on one of the world titles, which might have placated him.

Injuries would have gotten the best of him anyway, but at least we would have seen more from him in 2002.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts