Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would presume that the number one objective for an NBC or Disney in purchasing WWE would be content generation, and maintaining that for their television and streaming services would be paramount. To a more primitive extent, this was why Turner bought WCW in 1988.

But after acquisition, what changes might be wrought on WWE? Turner attempted to keep things largely going as is, with the exception of a leadership change (George Scott, then Jim Herd). Would NBC bring in an outside person to run the newly purchased WWE? Also, since content creation would be the driver
For the purchase, would touring be eliminated? Might television production be centralized in a new Thunderdome or studio setting?

What other changes do you think might take place?

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
The short answer is a hell of a lot. More merchandise, streaming, movies, TV series and matches with Micky Mouse.

In all honesty, I think there are far worse scenarios that being bought out by Disney.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
WWE ride or restaurant in downtown Disney/Disneyland California, add WWE content section to Disney+, add WWE toys to all their Disney shops, add John Cena to their Mickey Mouse parade etc etc etc.

Pretty much the same thing they did w Marvel

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
They would chop it down to the bare bones and keep whatever pieces they felt were still marketable. The big name IP would be their biggest interest, your john cenas and rockys, they would print more merch than Vince could have ever dreamed of, probably make some shitty cartoons that have a different person voicing them, and maybe a theme park ride. I guess the tape library is the biggest but with the way the world is going 90 percent of it will be deemed too offensive in a few years. Although I wouldn't put it past disney to digitally superimpose burqas on all the divas and pillows instead of chairs. Maybe turn Stone Cold into a transgender asian with a soy addiction. But if you think they are going to keep touring and doing live shows every week, I've got some bad news for ya.

·
Registered
602 Posts
They would chop it down to the bare bones and keep whatever pieces they felt were still marketable. The big name IP would be their biggest interest, your john cenas and rockys, they would print more merch than Vince could have ever dreamed of, probably make some shitty cartoons that have a different person voicing them, and maybe a theme park ride. I guess the tape library is the biggest but with the way the world is going 90 percent of it will be deemed too offensive in a few years. Although I wouldn't put it past disney to digitally superimpose burqas on all the divas and pillows instead of chairs. Maybe turn Stone Cold into a transgender asian with a soy addiction. But if you think they are going to keep touring and doing live shows every week, I've got some bad news for ya.
This is why I’m convinced they will do big things with the WCW ip. To think WWE only started selling Bash at the Beach merch in August 2021.

They will milk that more. Maybe even one hour WCW Saturday night at Disney World here and there. Money to be made.

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
Ufc is bigger than ever since their sale.

The Rock will do anything Disney or Universal say.

You think Danielson or Punk or MJF or even Omega will want to stay with Khan if Disney was the New boss? Every wrestler would want to be in that system. All that loyalty shit would go out the window.. Kross would get the vaccine.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
They will add some of the wrestlers into the Marvel
multiverse and vice versa.

it’s perfect for them as wwe matches are choreographed too so we can see matchups like Roman Reigns vs Thor, Brock Lesnar vs Hulk and Thanos, Richoshet vs Spider Man, etc.

They will make Zandaya the Womens champ Before the next Spider man movie too.

Also we can see some of the wrestlers get some roles in the marvel movies too.

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They will add some of the wrestlers into the Marvel
multiverse and vice versa.

it’s perfect for them as wwe matches are choreographed too so we can see matchups like Roman Reigns vs Thor, Brock Lesnar vs Hulk and Thanos, Richoshet vs Spider Man, etc.

They will make Zandaya the Womens champ Before the next Spider man movie too.

Also we can see some of the wrestlers get some roles in the marvel movies too.
Brock vs Thor

·
Registered
229 Posts
The fact WWE went up to Fox and said buy us should tell us they probably want too for the company.

I honestly think WWE is overstating their significance as an IP. Stephanie comparing WWE to Marvel is a joke.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Outside of what theyre doing now, I cant see Disney or NBC doing anything different. Nor can they. WWE is such a NIche market. They can print all the merch they want. But if the product is still terrible no ones gonna wanna buy it.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
22,611 Posts
Not much but milk every last bit of money they can out of it.

It's a bit different than say, Marvel where they were essentially buying characters and a trove of old stories.

What are they going to do, reboot the attitude era with new actors playing Stone Cold and Vince McMahon?

Honestly though, here's really no way of knowing how a new owner would structure the company.

Short of assuming that (once contractually possible) most shows and back-catalog would head to Disney-owned properties, we have no idea what this would mean for the actual in-ring product.

Would they be completely hands off and the McMahon family retains executive and creative positions?

Would the entire existing creative/executive structure be thrown out the window?

Is there a Disney exec who is a gigantic wrestling nerd with strong opinions about the industry and wants to install himself as the lone booker?

It would certainly be interesting and give wrestling a small buzz that may help it and the wrestling industry in general out.

·
Registered
602 Posts
It’s laughable
Not much but milk every last bit of money they can out of it.

It's a bit different than say, Marvel where they were essentially buying characters and a trove of old stories.

What are they going to do, reboot the attitude era with new actors playing Stone Cold and Vince McMahon?

Honestly though, here's really no way of knowing how a new owner would structure the company.

Short of assuming that (once contractually possible) most shows and back-catalog would head to Disney-owned properties, we have no idea what this would mean for the actual in-ring product.

Would they be completely hands off and the McMahon family retains executive and creative positions?

Would the entire existing creative/executive structure be thrown out the window?

Is there a Disney exec who is a gigantic wrestling nerd with strong opinions about the industry and wants to install himself as the lone booker?

It would certainly be interesting and give wrestling a small buzz that may help it and the wrestling industry in general out.
When people talk about the sale they never talk about the transition period. I highly doubt Vince is going to walk away the first Raw after a sale.

He will be there for 1-2 years in the transition period. After the transition period is over, you will have a bunch of Disney writers trained the WWE way.

It’s when those writers train writers after that, years after Vince is gone, we have to worry.

It’s like Shaolin Temple in China. It was still going well after the original monks left, because you still had students pass on the original monks teachings.

But since those monks with a direct connection to the original monks are now gone, it’s no longer the place it was. Someone called it a Disney land more than a monastery, which is ironic in this conversation.

The shadow of Vince McMahon will be gone 5-10 years after the sale.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts