Wrestling Forum banner

Which would help TNA garner higher ratings??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
GIANTS
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know TNA has been stuck really at around a 1.0-1.3 rating for the past two years. They tried bringing in Foley and he brought ratings as champion, but they couldn't make it past 1.3. Same goes with most of there big name acquisitions in the past. Then last October, they signed Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff and most people thought it would propel them to new heights, but as we know, Hogan/Bisch have failed.

They popped a 1.5 on January 4, and things looked great, as they received their highest ratings ever on Thursday nights. The disastrous move to Monday's completely demolished their fanbase, and TNA moved back to Thursday nights....a sign of Hogan/Bisch's failure. Now TNA has rebuilt their audience back to about a 1.2-1.3 rating.

My question for everyone here is: What could TNA possibly do increase ratings to the 1.5-1.8 range? Here are some choices I've supplied, and please state your own if you don't vote for one of my choices!

1) TNA moves out of Impact Zone-Gives TNA a fresh look and can add to their product....but does this garner ratings?

2) TNA moves to another network-Gives TNA a chance to expand into more people's homes as Spike is a premium channel (at least in my area). Could a move to TNT or a channel like FX help ratings?

3) Add new programming-Let's TNA build Impact, as well as progress feuds occuring. Would this help?

4) Advertising-Would TNA advertising like they did for January 4 increase ratings? I say yes, big time

5) Clean house-Get rid of most of the big names, Foley, Sting, Nash, etc.... and start fresh with new faces to build up into the future.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Better advertising in my opinion. As much as i would love to see TNA move out of the impact zone im not sure it would improve the ratings.

·
Premium Member
10,516 Posts
Advertising, obviously.

Jan 4th got a mass load of advertising. They probably spent millions hyping that up and they got close to a 2.0 rating before RAW came on. If they advertised like that for Thursday, I think that they would be in a better position than they are in now.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Better venues might help. Impact Zone is good, but while the in-ring skills are amazing, the fact of the matter is due to the relatively small arena they use, and the small crowd capacity, it still looks vaguely amateur.

Amp it up a little. TNA has more than 1000 fans, so why do they stay in a place that only lets 1000 fans be there?

·
Registered
782 Posts
A combo of a few things.

Mainly, which is what is voted for....they need to Advertise more. As said Jan. 4th was everywhere and had they not run on Monday I think the rating would have been even higher.

That said they could trim the fat, and NO I don't mean just the older established stars like Jeff Jarrett/Kevin Nash/Sting etc. Cause lets really face facts. If you want to pull in new viewers, WWE viewers and old wrestling fans that aren't watching anymore Esp the giant WCW/ECW audiance that don't watch WWE or TNA at this point having a tommy Dreamer or a Sting on the roster might help. Having Kurt Angle or Mr. Anderson or...def Jeff Hardy and Hulk Hogan involved helps.

YOu need them just as much as you need the work rate guys like AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Beer Money etc. When I say trim fat I mean trim the guys that are, nor never will be draws or guys who just can't bring them in anymore like Raven, Kiyoshi, Eric Young, GMe, Red, some knockouts, Orlando Jordan, Ink Inc., etc.

Also, moving out on the road would help a lot. The IZ fans aren't representitive of the average wrestling fan. the IZ fans would shit on something average fans, or the majority of the viewers you want tunning in every week, would accept at face value.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Deffo get out of the iMPACT Zone and tour. The benefit of touring is they can establish their product in more markets thus helping more people tune into see them. If house show numbers are going up take a risk and tape a tv show at one of the house shows.

·
Registered
889 Posts
It's too easy to say advertising. I know that they advertised Jan 4th like crazy and it did work but you have to step back and look at the bigger picture. Why didn't those new fans that watched on Jan 4th stick around? Can't blame it on advertising, because those people were made aware of TNA and then chose not to bother watching again. There's no point blowing all your money on advertising if you don't have a TV show that's gonna make people wanna tune in next week.

·
Premium Member
10,516 Posts
It's too easy to say advertising. I know that they advertised Jan 4th like crazy and it did work but you have to step back and look at the bigger picture. Why didn't those new fans that watched on Jan 4th stick around? Can't blame it on advertising, because those people were made aware of TNA and then chose not to bother watching again. There's no point blowing all your money on advertising if you don't have a TV show that's gonna make people wanna tune in next week.
Yeah, but there's no point of TNA improving their writing when nobody's watching. Improving advertising will increase viewership, but when viewers start dropping like flies, Dixie Carter should realise that something is not right, and that's when the writing should start changing. Of course, advertising is not the only thing that'll garner higher ratings, but IMO, it's the main thing.

With Jan 4, TNA should've either had that show on a Thursday, or they should've moved to Monday straight after that instead of waiting months. I reckon that if they stayed on Monday, they would've stuck at the 1.3. Thursday viewership is different to Monday viewership.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Yeah, but there's no point of TNA improving their writing when nobody's watching. Improving advertising will increase viewership, but when viewers start dropping like flies, Dixie Carter should realise that something is not right, and that's when the writing should start changing.

With Jan 4, TNA should've either had that show on a Thursday, or they should've moved to Monday straight after that instead of waiting months. I reckon that if they stayed on Monday, they would've stuck at the 1.3. Thursday viewership is different to Monday viewership.
Good point. Improving the product and advertising more are things that really need to happen at the same time. There's not much point in one without the other. There's no point in having a great TV show if nobody knows about it and there's no point in advertising something thats shit.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts