Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In that famous segment from WWE Raw during the height of the Attitude Era - DX tried to invade WCW Nitro while riding a tank. This includes HHH, Chyna, Road Dogg + Billy Gunny + X-Pac. We've all seen that segment, made for really fun TV and nobody really knew what to expect.

Obviously - WCW didn't let them in, they closed out arena and DX stayed outside and it kind of ends there.

Here's my question - what would have happened if DX had made it inside, all the way to the arena/interacted with some WCW wrestlers on livetv?

Nitro was filming live - what if DX invades with a tank, makes it to ringside/arena, and is shown live on Nitro and Raw at the same time? What would the fallout have been? Obviously this would have ramped up the fans anticipation 100 fold about wanting some more WWF vs WCW cross-over action. Do you think in some way, shape or form - this could have led to the two organizations working together? Maybe as a one-off event, for some matches? I know there was so much animosity/hatred between both companies

I know modern day WWE never acknowledges other promotions (like TNA, or AEW) on their broadcasts. And while AEW/TNA worked together recently - WWE has never done anything similar, not with TNA, not with AEW, and obviously not with WCW back then. Could this DX invasion have been the catalyst to something like that though?

Or do you think it wouldn't have led anywhere at all, despite fan demand likely increasing a hundred-fold for a cross-promotional event once DX would have shown up live on Nitro TV

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
The DX segment was filmed during the day. WCW were there at night. It was very clever in the way it made you think they were invading. Not only that but didn't they go to the wrong door instead.

Either way, Bischoff has said that if they were there at the same time he would have sent Meng/Haku out there to beat the shit out of them.

Nash has said he would have let them in and they would have hung out backstage.

I imagine if it was filmed, there would have been lawsuit galore from both sides.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
There would have been lawsuits galore. Besides, the segment was taped earlier in the day before the show started so they would have been kicked out well before Nitro went on the air.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I lost sight of the fact that it wasn't live at the time. For some reason I thought it happened live as both shows were happening. I guess that changes things somewhat

As for the "lawsuit galore" comment - on what grounds? They are fans entering the building - if they're allowed in, good for them, not really lawsuit worthy. If anything if WCW had sued WWF, Vince would have loved that. A ton of fans would have said "wow, WCW are pussies taking it to courts instead of fighting back" - the PR battle would be heavy in WWF's favor.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I lost sight of the fact that it wasn't live at the time. For some reason I thought it happened live as both shows were happening. I guess that changes things somewhat

As for the "lawsuit galore" comment - on what grounds? They are fans entering the building - if they're allowed in, good for them, not really lawsuit worthy. If anything if WCW had sued WWF, Vince would have loved that. A ton of fans would have said "wow, WCW are pussies taking it to courts instead of fighting back" - the PR battle would be heavy in WWF's favor.
Lawsuits involved if WCW filmed WWE wrestlers appearing on Nitro. Vince would have gone nuts.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've mentioned this previously in another thread. Bischoff should of opened the shutterers with just him and Meng standing there cameras rolling. Said ok you want in come on try it. No chance they take on Meng. All DX are immediately done due to looking like children, Road Dogg & Billy get released because well frankly who cares, X Pac probably reverts to 123 Kid gimmick and hangs around. HHH is dead in the water. Forever.
Lawsuit wise WCW win. Technically knocking on the shutter is an attempt to gain entry. WCW have rented the Bulding, probably the parking area. VInce cries but legally i think he looses.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I didn't realize DX arrived before Nirto went on the air. Would have sworn I've heard Bischoff mention that he regrets not opening the doors for them, as he says in retrospect he should have brought them down to the ring for the ratings, which makes no sense if Nitro wasn't even on the air at the time.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I didn't realize DX arrived before Nirto went on the air. Would have sworn I've heard Bischoff mention that he regrets not opening the doors for them, as he says in retrospect he should have brought them down to the ring for the ratings, which makes no sense if Nitro wasn't even on the air at the time.
yeh Bischoff did say something to that effect. Would have been awesome. Imagine if a shoot fight broke out.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
LOOK, if you made this thread because what HHH said in that Monday Night War documentary then FUCK THAT. That thing was a one sided telling of the story anyway.

Also im fairly sure if they did appear in that arena then both companies would have been liable to sue each other.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Definitely not, as WWE and WCW were in legal disputes at the time. IMO, it was a huge mistake not to let DX into the building. All Bischoff would have had to do is bury them on Nitro, then cut their mikes when they tried to respond. It would have made DX look like idiots, considering WCW had control of the whole show from TV breaks to cameras, mikes, and music.

The one interesting event that could have occurred, would have been for Nash and Hall to break character, and hog them in the middle of the ring. They pretty much could do as they pleased by 98. Then again, Bischoff would have probably darkened the lighting, cut the mikes, or went to commerical.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Definitely not, as WWE and WCW were in legal disputes at the time. IMO, it was a huge mistake not to let DX into the building. All Bischoff would have had to do is bury them on Nitro, then cut their mikes when they tried to respond. It would have made DX look like idiots, considering WCW had control of the whole show from TV breaks to cameras, mikes, and music.

The one interesting event that could have occurred, would have been for Nash and Hall to break character, and hog them in the middle of the ring. They pretty much could do as they pleased by 98. Then again, Bischoff would have probably darkened the lighting, cut the mikes, or went to commerical.
From a "PR battle" perspective - the absolute worst thing Bischoff could have done is let DX in, let them get in and on the show and cut their mikes before they were able to respond to whatever promo was cut on them. It would have made DX look like heroes who WCW fear, and would have made WCW/NWO look like corwards/pussies. I don't know that your idea necessarily goes down the way you suggest.

Imagine DX on Raw the next week gloating about how badly wcw fears them

·
Registered
199 Posts
From a "PR battle" perspective - the absolute worst thing Bischoff could have done is let DX in, let them get in and on the show and cut their mikes before they were able to respond to whatever promo was cut on them. It would have made DX look like heroes who WCW fear, and would have made WCW/NWO look like corwards/pussies. I don't know that your idea necessarily goes down the way you suggest.

Imagine DX on Raw the next week gloating about how badly wcw fears them
If only Bischoff came out, he had all the advantages. Bischoff had done this to Sean Waltman a couple of times before, getting Hogan to say he was not talented enough to belong to the nWo, and Bischoff did a promo on him the week before. If Bischoff was smart, he would have just got the announcers to bury each individual DX member. He could have said that HHH was a nobody who could not cut it in WCW, and had to go to WWE to make it (most people were unaware of his WCW run), He could have said that Chyna made a huge mistake by turning down the WCW offer, and that it was WCW who discovered her (Chyna was offered a spot as the female member of the nWo, but wanted to be with HHH, and followed him to Stamford). As for the Road Dogg, he could have said he was the least talented actual wrestler in his family, and the WCW had his more talented in ring brother. Even Billy Gunn was a complete jobber in WCW, before leaving to WWE.

Bischoff had so many cards to play with. Of course by that time, WCW was in such bad shape bad shape, that they had no idea what to do so they simply closed the loading docks. I mean if Bischoff could take superstars like Ric Flair, Bret Hart, and Chris Jericho, Benoit, Guerrero, etc. and either bury them, or relegate them into mid card nobodies, he could have done the same with DX, since there was WCW had a history with most of them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts