Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty simple, fun discussion. So eventually there's going to be a mid-card title. HOPEFULLY they keep it at just 1 main, 1 mid, 1 tag, 1 womens, because my word...i hateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee when there's too many titles.

But in a company like AEW, I'm okay with them adding a mid-card title eventually.

So my question is.... what will they call it? My first guess would've been North American title or something from the old NWA/WCW days but eh it's taken.

They can't do US, IC obviously.

I want it to be 100% a mid-card title too...so dont call it "world" claiming it to be a top belt or whatever.

What do you think?

Western States Heritage Title haha

·
Used to be a Dreamer, Dreamin' of a Fire
6,351 Posts
I see zero point to midcard titles. Wrestlers should be competing for the sake of improving their records to the point of bringing them closer to the world title. Feuds can be enhanced through beef and personal rivalry. There are no midcard titles in MMA and that works very well for the prestige of the world championship.

Titles only have meaning when they are the top titles in their respective division. A World Cruiserweight Champion, World Middleweight Champion, World Hardcore Wrestling Champion etc. There can be world titles for specialized divisions, that makes sense.

But carrying a belt that says you are the "middle ranked" fighter in your division is dumb.

If AEW introduces something called a TV Title I'll stop watching. A midcard title I'll accept but a TV title I'm done

EDIT: and by stop watching I mean that I'll ignore and belittle the title as much as possible while enjoying the rest of the show

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see zero point to midcard titles. Wrestlers should be competing for the sake of improving their records to the point of bringing them closer to the world title. Feuds can be enhanced through beef and personal rivalry. There are no midcard titles in MMA and that works very well for the prestige of the world championship.

Titles only have meaning when they are the top titles in their respective division. A World Cruiserweight Champion, World Middleweight Champion, World Hardcore Wrestling Champion etc. There can be world titles for specialized divisions, that makes sense.

But carrying a belt that says you are the "middle ranked" fighter in your division is dumb.

If AEW introduces something called a TV Title I'll stop watching. A midcard title I'll accept but a TV title I'm done
It's just the way wrestling works, ya know. As fans we accept it for what it is... it's the testing grounds for a future push title. Which i sorta like. I hate what the WWE has done with making all the titles mean the exact same thing and no variation. As long as the mid-card title maintains it's form of "testing ground for young stars" belt...it works.

And really? See based on your comment, i figured you would like a TV title more. I actually think a TV title gimmick makes more sense than a mid-card title. Being the "Dynamite" Champion, where you defend it every single week on tv.... i think there's something to that.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I for one am open to the idea of a midcard championship, as mentioned earlier MMA doesn't have midcard championships and that helps the world championships but that's also a shoot sport, in a worked industry like wrestling midcard championships are the best way to test the waters on pushing someone up into the main event rather than just taking a big gamble and losing business from an underperforming champion.

·
Lets go to the old mill anyway, get some cider!
15,626 Posts
Old school tv title is the way to go. 15-20 minute time limit for matches and the champion can then challenge for the world title after 3 successful defenses. If he gets to 5, he can challenge for the world title without cashing in his tv title. If he loses after 5 defenses, the ticker resets.

·
Best Post Machine
566 Posts
Maybe the guy who wins the diamond ring next week can be the midcard champ.

We can call him...King of the Ring!

·
Registered
9,691 Posts
They'll 100% do a TV title. I don't see why there is this negativity around a TV title. As long as they treat it like it's important it will be important.

Jay Lethal did a great job with the ROH TV title years ago and transitioned it into a World Title run.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I dont like "midcard titles" such a stupid concept to fight over something that doesnt even make you the best. Id rather Heavyweight and lightweight divisions if thats the case.
This would make good sense considering how many guys on their roster could qualify as a lightweight.

If they do make a mid card title then hopefully they look to copy njpw example over wwe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
They NEED a Midcard title for guys like Sabin, Allin, Janela, MJF, ... and for title matches on TV and YouTube (Dark)

Would put the title on MJF an give him a epic run like MVP as US Champ in 07/08.

Name: TV Title

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
"Mid-card titles" are pointless. This isn't the 80's anymore. You don't have two touring cards. The belt is not going to help anyone look better or draw any better. Just focus on the belts you have.

·
Banned
8,928 Posts
I remember a thread about this before and AEW Elite Championship was a popular name for it.

Originally i was all over the idea of a belt being called Elite championship and is a fighting champion belt. Now that they continue the wlite as a group on tv it might be silly.

Also a ring cant be the prize it would neber feel special. They had this in roh and it was stupid. People need t9 see the prop

·
Registered
21,508 Posts
Idk "Silverweight" or for folk that want a belt you can cash in for the Heavyweight title how about "Rising Star" or "Next Up"

·
Registered
488 Posts
"Mid-card titles" are pointless. This isn't the 80's anymore. You don't have two touring cards. The belt is not going to help anyone look better or draw any better. Just focus on the belts you have.
I can see the argument but this is one of the very few things I would disagree with you about.

I think a secondary singles title is almost ideal in any promotion with more than 20 workers on average. Now I'm more in the camp that it should be a divisional title and not a mid-rank title. For instance a Cruiserweight, or Streetfighting Title or something along those lines. TV could work if they treat it more like the title that gets defended on Dynamite and put it on decent workers and not on a Marko Syunt and save the other title matches for PPV.

In this way you make your World Titles feel more important since you can only see them defended on PPV or special Dynamite episodes and the TV or secondary can be defended every 2-3 weeks or so.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts