Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I absolutely love both men. I think they are the two best things going on in TNA right now. Their history together, they know each other too well, their styles mesh and have perfect symmetry. It is amazing how Storm can play the face so well and the same goes for Roode as a heel.

Even though they were both brilliant at Lockdown, I am not sure if they are established just yet. So, what I am asking you is: what will it take to establish both men as permanent main eventers and how close are they?

·
Registered
11,691 Posts
I think Roode is already established and respected among the elites and fans of the business. James Storm is on the fence, jury still out on him.

These two have had good matches but not great matches. You have to have great matches to give their rivalry a boost.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Time.

Panicking at ratings is the worst possible thing that TNA can do right now, they have to continue trying to build new stars.

WWE are doing the opposite, and it will come back to kick them in the backside.

TNA are doing the right thing and need to stick at it through the rough.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I agree with SimplyIncredible and I've been saying it for a while - ratings and buy-rates do not go up overnight. Especially with a fairly damaged brand like TNA.

They just have to keep to the path they're going. Keep pushing the right people (Roode, Storm, Angle, Hardy, Ray, Aries, etc.) and if anything, do some more advertising. Give it time, keep the show at a consistently good quality and success will follow.

·
Banned
8,966 Posts
I think Roode's already there or thereabouts. Storm just needs time as has been mentioned. If I were booking I'd have Storm lose to Roode (again) at Slammiversary and have Roode refuse to face him again as he's already beaten him twice. Storm would then win the BFG series (if they do it this year) and finally be the one to overthrow Roode.

·
Registered
10,076 Posts
Time.

Panicking at ratings is the worst possible thing that TNA can do right now, they have to continue trying to build new stars.

WWE are doing the opposite, and it will come back to kick them in the backside.

TNA are doing the right thing and need to stick at it through the rough.
Yea its interesting eh, wwe started doing this new generation of young wrestlers. That company is so crappy boring and clean pretty now,That they dont seem to find real characters .Most of the new guys are boring all the same pretty boys.Which now they realize is not working and have rooted back to spending money on last generation.

When now Impact Wrestling is just starting to shine on the younger guys. I really do find that the younger guys in Impact Wrestling have much more character and are way more interesting also better wrestlers. So i agree it will bite them in the ass.

So it is pretty interesting

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
One thing that people need to realize is this: 1997 WWE wasn't the record year in business, it created the record year in business. Everything that time. WWE has nutured NOBODIES like Cena, Batista, and Orton into main event WM draws. Same with guys like Edge, Jeff Hardy, and tons of others. These guys never sold out arenas prior to joining WWE but WWE had a plan and stuck to it. HBK was the worse drawing champion in the 90's, but Vince stuck with him. At the end of the day its all about patience. Let shit play out. Roode and Storm have been at the top of the card for not even a year and some people are hitting the panic button...there is no reason for that.

TNA is well known for not focusing on their own guys but the truth of the matter is: Anderson doesn't care and probably has at best 2 years left in the business. How much longer can Hardy go before he fucks up again/burns out? 2-3 years MAX. Angle is pretty much almost done and I cannot see him going past 2013. RVD is there to collect a paycheck but doesn't need pro wrestling and I can see him squeezing out MAYBE one more year and then leaving TNA for good.

TNA would be smart to keep investing time in Roode and Storm as top guys and not get cold feet.

·
Banned
23 Posts
I absolutely love both men. I think they are the two best things going on in TNA right now. Their history together, they know each other too well, their styles mesh and have perfect symmetry. It is amazing how Storm can play the face so well and the same goes for Roode as a heel.

Even though they were both brilliant at Lockdown, I am not sure if they are established just yet. So, what I am asking you is: what will it take to establish both men as permanent main eventers and how close are they?
Just keep doing what they are doing don't go to fast Storm/Roode is money don't put the title on Storm till BFG ..KEEP THE TITLE ON ROODE TILL BFG. most of dont go to fast !!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've never rooted for Evans in a fight mmastream.cc, but I will this time. I hope he decapitates Jones. I wouldn't bet on Rashad, but I can dream!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Part two of the three-part "UFC 145 Primetime" series debuts this past Friday, and the full episode can now be watched mmastream.cc online in its entirety.

·
Registered
11,691 Posts
One thing that people need to realize is this: 1997 WWE wasn't the record year in business, it created the record year in business. Everything that time. WWE has nutured NOBODIES like Cena, Batista, and Orton into main event WM draws. Same with guys like Edge, Jeff Hardy, and tons of others. These guys never sold out arenas prior to joining WWE but WWE had a plan and stuck to it. HBK was the worse drawing champion in the 90's, but Vince stuck with him. At the end of the day its all about patience. Let shit play out. Roode and Storm have been at the top of the card for not even a year and some people are hitting the panic button...there is no reason for that.

TNA is well known for not focusing on their own guys but the truth of the matter is: Anderson doesn't care and probably has at best 2 years left in the business. How much longer can Hardy go before he fucks up again/burns out? 2-3 years MAX. Angle is pretty much almost done and I cannot see him going past 2013. RVD is there to collect a paycheck but doesn't need pro wrestling and I can see him squeezing out MAYBE one more year and then leaving TNA for good.

TNA would be smart to keep investing time in Roode and Storm as top guys and not get cold feet.
Its a different business, we live in a different world. I like the long build approach but that doesn't work in the youtube/twitter I want it right now period. Danielson won the title pretty quickly. Del Rio won the title pretty quickly. If I recalled correctly, Sheamus won the title pretty quickly. Hell, didn't Punk won the title pretty fast?

Luckily for TNA, everybody failed except Joe/Angle(the only feud to ever draw in TNA). They can take their time with Storm and Roode, it probably won't get them nowhere but they can try.

My problem is more of my personal opinion, I just don't buy into Storm. I don't root for him. It's not because I like Roode. You can put Storm with Crimson and I still won't root for him. I don't buy his act as a babyface.

Not too mention, these two have YET to produce a must see great match with each other. At least Angle/Joe came swinging out the gate. Styles/Daniels came swinging out the gate. Styles/Joe, Beer Money/MCMG, AMW/XXX, these rivalries were successful by TNA standards because they produce must see matches. It's still early for Storm and Roode but if their next match doesn't produce, then they just don't have good chemistry against each other.

This is nothing new, I remember a time when people on here try to sell me on Anderson vs. Pope as the next Austin vs. Rock. Remember those days LOL

·
Registered
721 Posts
Bobby Roode is established. Storm will be once he wins the title back.

TNA has built both as main eventers in the past year, WWE has built no one.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I think Roode is already there I mean TNA have let him do everything as a heel except duct tape Dixie's arms and legs together and hit her with a piledriver. Storm isn't cemented YET but that's the point of the story the face is only cemented he only truly gets over when he beats Roode cleanly 1,2,3 its not WWE booking where they let the face run over the heel then the heel just sits there and takes it like a lil bitch

And I don't get how people can't buy into Storm as a face I mean he is a common man after all he's a beer drinker he's southern he drives a freakin van (pick-up truck for our american friends) he has the story of being in TNA since day 1 and how he had to work twice as hard because nobody knew him the creation of beer money the success of beer money and the break-up of beer money make it hard to not cheer storm. And the fact that Storm comes off as a bit of an underdog in our eyes is great because that's what the face is supposed to be and the fact that the company isn't forcing the underdog aspect down our throats (Cena,Mysterio) and he himself isn't putting himself over as an underdog (CM Punk going up against the big bad WWE hierarchy, Mysterio in his post Eddie's death push) is good booking (it allows to know that Storm is the good guy but TNA still allows us to make up our own minds instead of trying to brainwash us to like him) and all that's left for Storm is to get that win over Roode and he's set

But this is the internet and its impossible to make everyone happy I bet you after Storm does win the belt from Roode people will be complaining that Roode should have lost the title to Hardy or Anderson or RVD because they have "name value" and some guy will even suggest Hulk Hogan because he'll get people to start watching TNA (cough-like that worked the last time-cough)

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Its a different business, we live in a different world. I like the long build approach but that doesn't work in the youtube/twitter I want it right now period. Danielson won the title pretty quickly. Del Rio won the title pretty quickly. If I recalled correctly, Sheamus won the title pretty quickly. Hell, didn't Punk won the title pretty fast?

Luckily for TNA, everybody failed except Joe/Angle(the only feud to ever draw in TNA). They can take their time with Storm and Roode, it probably won't get them nowhere but they can try.

My problem is more of my personal opinion, I just don't buy into Storm. I don't root for him. It's not because I like Roode. You can put Storm with Crimson and I still won't root for him. I don't buy his act as a babyface.

Not too mention, these two have YET to produce a must see great match with each other. At least Angle/Joe came swinging out the gate. Styles/Daniels came swinging out the gate. Styles/Joe, Beer Money/MCMG, AMW/XXX, these rivalries were successful by TNA standards because they produce must see matches. It's still early for Storm and Roode but if their next match doesn't produce, then they just don't have good chemistry against each other.

This is nothing new, I remember a time when people on here try to sell me on Anderson vs. Pope as the next Austin vs. Rock. Remember those days LOL

I know we live in a different world and things move faster but that doesn't mean anything in wrestling needs to move at the same speed. Here's the thing: In WWE every wrestler who debuts in a champion of some sort within two years of debuting on the roster. This has made the titles for the most part mean absolutely nothing as eveyrone pretty much has title credentials and everyone also is always switching wins. I am not of the Bischoff School Of Thought in that people need to be on TV For 8 years in order to become a star and be brought by the public. I am about a slow build, but not too slow. I am for a fast and steady build, but not too fast.

When Russo was in charge TNA showed that they had a hard time executing angles with the right amount of length and timing. How long did D-Von/Pope go on with no real progression? How long did Brooks/Roode/Young go on with no real progression? How long did these angle go past their expiration date? Same with the 3LK breakup and others. It's all about timing and how you use someone in that time. Its about not getting too bogged down in the details that a story can't move forward or in on the other hand not giving a shit about the details and moving a story along with lighting speed.

So how can a long build to a title work in the 21st century? Simple. The same way it always has. The Hero's Journey. Pick a guy/girl on the roster and give them obstacles on their quest to the title. Don't make it known that that is their goal but have them in fueds. And I don't mean exhibtion matches on Impact I mean BLOOD FEUDS. Have Pope come back and go after Dvon for the title. And then move on to Kurt Angle. And then after that move on to RVD and then Storm. That right there (if done right) can easily be 6 months of TV that has heat, excitment, and it finds the balance of moving a story along while not skipping details and also is slow and steady enough for people to invest in it. Next thing you know its around BFG and Pope is still TV champion and he looses the strap. But then you spend the next couple of months building to Lockdown where its Pope vs. Robert Roode for the title. For the match to mean ANYTHING, but guys would have had to been strong the previous year. Roode held the title for the year and came out on top. Dinero won the TV and held it for 6 months and then shifted gears.

Everyone looks good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts