Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,620 Posts
I use to think this way until I started watching NXT and realized how valuable they were in terms of keeping people credible and making it that when someone loses it actually matters.

·
Banned
884 Posts
Growing up as a wrestling fan in the early 90’s, squash matches were a staple of the product. They helped to introduce a new wrestler’s moveset and finisher, while protecting the ‘name’ talent from eating unnecessary pins. Standardly, a new wrestler would showcase his moveset in a handful of jobber squashes before beating bottom rung talent like Virgil or Brooklyn Brawler, before stepping up to proper feuds. WCW kind of took a big shit on the old format with Monday Nitro, which offered proper matches between name talent on the regular. These days, there really isn’t any point to a jobber squash, nor any type of squash really. I always hated them, and especially hated the 3 shit squashes at Summerslam. They should be relegated to wrestling’s room 101.

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
I'm sorry but if you don't get enjoyment from Braun strowman playing the wrestling version of angry birds, ryback doing his best to decapitate geeks with the meathook or an Umaga squash match wrestling is not the form of entertainment for you. I still watch that squash match with the mile high boys and laugh and smile and not because of the Pantera reference from Graves

·
Registered
63 Posts
Last year Brock Lesnar squashed Braun Strwoman with a single F5 at No Mercy in less than 10 minutes. The same event, Roman Reigns had a 20+ minutes match with John Cena and kicked out of 4 attitude adjustments, something rarely done. poor Braun Strowman lost all his momentum since then.

·
The EST of NXT
28,502 Posts
Whats the point of squash matches really? I know the "obvious" answer is they make someone look strong or like a monster but do they really? When Asuka/AOP/Bruan/Shayna come out and crush some no name local talent or bottomest of the roster jobber am I supposed to be impressed? You beat someone that wasn't even REMOTELY a credible threat. It doesn't make them look strong at all. Its more of a situation of fire is hot. Yet WWE does these types of matches ALLLLLL the time to put over their talent as monsters. Am I n the minority here or do these matches work for you guys?
Squashes are for exposing new talent to the audience that you want pushed in the future. For example, if I want to debut Bianca Bel-Air on RAW, it'll be to squash a random jobber just to show off her freakish athleticism and signature moves. The goal is to make the crowd ask "Woah, who's that?!" and you don't want to sacrifice an established talent to do it.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Squash matches are great when you’re building a new monster before he/she faces a credible threat provided the monster has something to make people remember them. Typically a big man who’s remarkably fast for his size.

Squash matches are not great when you have an already established performer just beating local talent for no reason because you have nothing for them.

I like the girl but seeing Carmella spend 2 months squashing jobbers was just awful for everyone involved.

·
Team Narcisse
7,941 Posts
As already stated, it’s most effective for wrestlers that need to showcase their strength. They can pick up local talent that are generally smaller people and let the monsters have at it. Think about Brock’s debut. Even with all of his fears of strength, I still love watching him powerbomb Spike over and over again.

Plus they would give the roster some rest if they were utilized more often and it would help end the atrocity of Tag matches that make no sense that are used as filler. I’d far prefer to see the stars pick up easy wins over local jobbers than see them partnering up with other talent just because....face team vs heel team.

·
Aviary Bro Fist
14,043 Posts
Whats the point of squash matches really? I know the "obvious" answer is they make someone look strong or like a monster but do they really? When Asuka/AOP/Bruan/Shayna come out and crush some no name local talent or bottomest of the roster jobber am I supposed to be impressed? You beat someone that wasn't even REMOTELY a credible threat. It doesn't make them look strong at all. Its more of a situation of fire is hot. Yet WWE does these types of matches ALLLLLL the time to put over their talent as monsters. Am I n the minority here or do these matches work for you guys?
Ok. I'm going to actually put some history in to this whole conversation for some real context..

Local jobber matches stem back to the territory days, it was 10,000 times more effective at getting heels heat when the whole audience was.. local. That "jobber" could be someone the audience actually knew because local communities actually knew each other back then. When you lived in say.. Ohio and some knob heel from Michigan rolled into town and whipped on a local worker that's instant hate WWE could only dream of making.

Jobber squashes are a time honored tradition of the wrestling business, and even if on a national stage they aren't quite as effective as they once were, it should be painfully obvious what happens to a franchise when they turn their back on their roots and ignore everything that built said franchise to please a minority of the crowd who is either unwilling or unable to appreciate or understand said history. You get things like Disney Star Wars where in a matter of 3 years 45 years of building the strongest movie franchise in our history gets pissed away into the breeze.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Squashes are boring, and useless, like how the fuck am I supposed to be impressed with 6ft8,350+ pound Strowman beating people that look like kids next to him, it only makes me switch channel, instead of impressing me. Same with 270 pound Ryback beating 2 guys that together weigh less than him? If you are gonna be doing squash matches at least find some decent sized guys as opponents.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts